Bargain Hunter(s) Read This

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Bargain Hunter(s) Read This

Post by Britkid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 am

So Bargain Hunter has deleted all his posts, I hate it when people do that. This was an interesting discussion after all, and could have been useful to read later for others, now it's all messed up and everyone has, to an extent, wasted their time. Personally I'd prefer it if posts could only be deleted for a short time of a few minutes after first posting.

Surely privacy isn't an issue either when you're posting under an alias and if you stand by what you said, why do you delete it. Annoying.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:04 am

Britkid wrote:Have others observed a similar thing within the circle of people they know and have heard about - in other words do you think that all or almost all fail at running businesses/investments? Or is it more of an even mix with a fair number of successes?
One of my friends came here from the US to start a bakery. His German-style bread is amazing and he finally opened a small store in a galería this year but closed it in a month because he couldn't find right people for the baking jobs. The ones who he hired didn't want to learn. So he got an offer from a big company to be a baking manager there and just abandoned 2 years of effort to have his own business.

On the other hand, there is a very successful bar+brewery (El Growler) founded by Oregonian and a new North American style burger place opened by Californian.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Britkid wrote:
picalena wrote:
I don't know of a single one that has been successful at any type of "investment" or running a business.
pl
Have others observed a similar thing within the circle of people they know and have heard about - in other words do you think that all or almost all fail at running businesses/investments? Or is it more of an even mix with a fair number of successes?
I would say it's an even mix, I definitely don't think all fail. A couple of well known ex pats in Puerto Varas have successfully negotiated the way of doing things here, and have successful business. Of course as someone said it's not all straight forward but there are many instances and examples of ex pats or gringos that have made a go of it. I would say it depends, it's no walk in the park but it can be done.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 pm

yea, almost by definition of the Internet, your going to get an disproportionate number of negative views / complaints posted on everything. Not just Chile.

Why would any (normal) person go spend hours, and hours, and hours on the Internet posting only the good things about Chile (or any other subject for that matter), unless they were blowing smoke up people's orifices?

People generally come to the forum either to complain about a problem or solve a problem; either that, or THEY ARE THE problem.

And the departed user Bargain Hunter, seems to have all of the above.

I think the forum got over 'the Unicorns and Rainbows' time wasting posts about 6 months after the forum went live 10 years ago. What is useful to those both learning about Chile and those that already live in Chile, is the problems people encounter and how those problems were solved (or not).

Trust me. If I had a bottomless bank account, I would be out riding my unicorn over the rainbows of Southern Chile; not, wasting everyone's time posting about it on the internet.

Although if you do like the all positive, everything is great in their life, I hear there is a little site called 'facebook' or something where the narcissistic unicorn riders like to update their status every 30 seconds so everyone knows just how perfect their life is.

Here is an example. Forget the subject of Chile for a second. I use, from time to time, about 30 - 40 other forums, mostly related to technical information on various subjects. I probably have only registered for one or two over the years, most I just read and search.

I almost never, ever, ever visit those forums unless I have a problem to solve (e.g. cars, computers, networks, etc). I almost never spend more than a second on single positive post on those forums, unless it is positive in the sense that a problem was solved. I am specifically looking for people who have had a similar problem to my problem, and how they solved it. Even when I am reading reviews of say a product, I am more interested in the negative reviews, because they contain often the most important information. In a sense, the most negative posts, are positive hits for information mining for me.

The things that make me happy about Chile, living where and how I live in Chile, are very, very specific to me. No matter how much a I write about how great it is, and how to reproduce it, most people are not going to be happy with my lifestyle. It works for me. Even if someone came to me with unlimited amount of money, and said 'I want exactly what you have', I couldn't do it. I can not clone my dogs, my cat, my friends, my family. Even if I could, you probably still would not like it. For example, I can go on for pages and pages of posts about how great my dogs are in Chile, and most people still would not like how my dogs behave. It would not help them move to Chile, or solve any problems, even if they were so inclined to want to read about them. Pretty much, everything else in my life that I love, would fall under that same category.

and that, is exactly the point that the user "Bargain Hunter" either refused to accept or was incapable of getting.

Chile is not for everyone. Much cheaper to find that out now reading the forum.

For everyone else, that reads the forum, takes inventory of all the possible problems they might encounter in Chile vs. available solutions, and says, 'hey, I think I can live with that': Bienvenido a Chile!!!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:42 pm

say, by the way, for anyone that thinks we are still being too negative about Chile, I highly recommend you go spend some time reading the articles and comments over at caracaschronicles.com

http://www.caracaschronicles.com/

My biggest gripe about Chile this week is they quit selling my favorite hot sauce at the local supermarket. Over at caracaschronicles.com they are just happy if they find anything at the supermarket at all.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:23 pm

LOL...the caracas chronicles...

I honestly get all the commentators on this thread, both for and against the singling out of a poster and the belaboring of negative aspects. I mean I understand both sides, but all in all I think this is a beneficial thread

It is certainly true, there is no perfect place either in or out of Chile. Every place, in or out of Chile is going to have its own issues to overcome. It is all a matter of picking your poisons wisely. Some are surmountable and some will be the end of you and/or your family and your family's family down the timeline

mem

Post by mem » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Regarding the rarity of posts praising Chile....let me make a post of praise. When I look back, now living here continuously for almost 2 years (we don't come and go to our birth country like many others enjoy doing), we just stay here. We are always here. No breaks from the Chilean life. I do think there are different groups, some marry into Chile in some way. Others have fled to Chile for various reasons. Some come here seeking investments, etc and those different groups have very different motivation and limbo bars for contentment

Chile offers what very few if any other countries offer in my opinion. If there was another country that was the same as Chile in all the ways I care about, but had English as the primary language, I would go there. Language is definitely one of the heavy hitters of challenges to overcome, and it may be 10-20 years...possibly never...that you will truly "overcome" it, and I mean by that that a native Chilean will not obviously know from your speech that Chilean spanish is not your first language. That day may never come, but it might given enough time and effort

Putting language aside, there is just nowhere better or safer or has more robust long term prospects. I know many will disagree with me....they will say what about New Zealand or what about Singapore or what about Hong Kong, but I don't think any of those places will weather future global problems as well as Chile.

Chile is, I think, in this bizarre sweet spot. It is not a "tier 1" country, and that is a good thing, it is somewhat off the radar. It doesn't have other "country predators" salivating over invading/destroying/annexing it. The fact it has the Andes dividing it from Argentina on the east, and desert in the north and the ocean in the west puts it in a very unique geographic position.

Uruguay would be second place in my mind to Chile in South America, but Uruguay is at such low low elevation. It is practically a large flood valley, very flat and in my mind, not good long term prospects geo-physically.

The value of the southern hemisphere, again in my mind, is not to be underestimated and if you know why that is then nuff said. All that really leaves is South Africa, Australia, New Zealand.

South Africa....just has too many problems. Too many genocide related incidents, too many festering race wounds, children being crucified, murder, theft, etc and I don't see those things getting better there. There is a whole continent of people above South Africa, in the rest of Africa that may begin to migrate south for various reasons and anyone fair skinned is just going to stick out.

Australia and NZ...my concern is China. Just a bit too close to China. China will go to nuclear war, before they give an inch on the south china sea islands, and China will one day take over Taiwan again when they feel they can get away with it, I believe that is a certainty. I think they will also go a bit further and lay claim to AU/NZ if the world really takes the piss and Russia and China take advantage of northern hemisphere catastrophes and war. They will take what they want and if the US and Europe are diminished by natural disasters couples with full scale multi-front war.

However, in the case of Chile, I believe China is content to have Chile as a trading partner and to buy up Chilean land, but actually invading/annexing Chile by China is not realistic.

Chile offers the lowest corruption of any South American nation, a strong military, and reasonable economic stability. For a westerner moving from the northern to southern hemisphere, I just dont see any other good, long term option.

Then there is the safety aspect. In the US, I was concerned about my family walking around the neighborhood, because of stories about people being taken/kidnapped/killed by some predators in a van driving up and forcing them in and driving off. All the crazy nutjobs there. Here, it is so much safer. The family is still respected. While petty theft can be a problem, you can avoid being a mark by being wise and alert.

There is so much more, but for all its warts/flaws, Chile is a great place to live

mem

Post by mem » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:51 pm

picalena wrote:At first, I laughed out loud about your question about the effect of tsumanis on coastal towns. How could anyone who is looking at Chile ask such a stupid question? But then your sarcastic retort about “two anecdotal examples” is beyond insulting to those of us who have friends who lost everything. There are more than two “anecdotal examples” of coastal cities being devastated by tsunamis. And they have happened for centuries. The impact on Chile has been enormous.
I am glad I wasn't the only one who had a similar reaction. I laughed out loud also. I almost started to reply, but then thought better of it. If someone is going to want "proof" that tsunamis on the coast of chile are a "real concern", I got nothing for you. I just can't help you if you don't realize that. I might cut some slack for a child/teenager, but at best such a request is ridiculous...just go ahead and setup on the coast and enjoy it while it lasts....

I know some people that won't move to Chile, because of the volcanos. It's a fair concern, but to me its one of those thing you can manage. You can look at a map and situate yourself in a place that is relatively safe in view of any volcanos. It takes some work and I can't believe how many times I have found some land for sale at what seems like a great deal, only to find that..Ah, its sitting in the middle of a lahar channel from the local volcano or volcano-plex.
On the flip side, Chile is one of the few places that while having lots of volcanos, does not have any super volcanos. Indonesia has them, NZ has them, the US has them, but not Chile. It just all comes down to where you decide to set down roots in Chile. Gotta do it inland, gotta do it at a respectable elevation, and gotta do it in the right place given any local volcanos.
I think the only place I have found that doesnt actually have any volcano's "locally", but is still far inland and high up, is the area around Portrero Grande and just west of it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Hey, don't knock the volcanoes. Most people just have a view of a stupid mountain. My volcanoes put on a show, and regularly.
southern-chile-volcano.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:15 pm

The nice thing about the Chilean volcanoes is they are mostly a problem for Argentina, not Chile.

Julito

Post by Julito » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm

A "strong miltary". Relative to its immediate neighbors yes but perhaps wrongly equipped for any potential strategic threat.

For example ageing F16 fighters which fly too fast so would rapidly run out of targets in counter insurgency warfare, with nothing suitably slower to take over the job.

Old Leopard tanks which it's been explained to me would be used to block the mountain passes. Tanks are only good for direct fire. Mobile tracked artillery with forward observers/spotters are far better suited to the job.

Importantly, the Chilean military has had no "institutional memory" of warfare for many generations so it's entirely inexperienced and untested in those realities, not that I'm complaining. I was talking to a retired senior Armoured officer a couple of years ago and I asked him what his most satisfying job was in all his years in the military. I expected to hear it was commanding this or that but no, it was "Setting up a program of equestrian excellence". A luxury in a military with no identifiable strategic threat.

And finally, the Prussian tradition "top down" command system leaves little room for initiative to those on the ground. It's very old fashioned and unlikely to stand up against a well equipped nimble foe on the ground.

Armchair General Julito

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:02 pm

admin wrote:The nice thing about the Chilean volcanoes is they are mostly a problem for Argentina, not Chile.
I read somewhere that Chile is largest exporter of natural disasters. So that would make Argentina the largest importer:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin