Bargain Hunter(s) Read This

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: Bargain Hunter(s) Read This

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm

"Ten sailors missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca"
http://www.live5news.com/story/36177013 ... of-malacca

What are the odds of this happening twice by accident, within about 2 months?

And they're both Arleigh Burke-class destroyers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_B ... s_in_class
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:"Ten sailors missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca"

Let see, USS ship Antietam, ran aground in shallow water in Yokosuka destroying its screws on 1/31/17
USS Lake shanplain collided with a fishing vessel off Korea and Japan on 5/9/17

It says all Obama fault cause he pulling out budget off US army, thus lackluster state of US army, especially the Navy.
Chinese and Russians are welcoming degrading US army state.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:31 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:"Ten sailors missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca"

Let see, USS ship Antietam, ran aground in shallow water in Yokosuka destroying its screws on 1/31/17
USS Lake shanplain collided with a fishing vessel off Korea and Japan on 5/9/17

It says all Obama fault cause he pulling out budget off US army, thus lackluster state of US army, especially the Navy.
Chinese and Russians are welcoming degrading US army state.
Yeah that seems weird too. Although those are 2 different types of "accidents", they're still the same type of navy ship, and both happened within about 3 months. All 4 of these "accidents" involved hitting something they should have been able to see (visually, sonar, radar, whatever). And all 4 happened within about 7 months. I wonder what the usual frequency of these "accidents" is?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Double post
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

What I find exceptional is that the US Navy is reportedly "pausing operations" because of this:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/navy-begin ... 1503329812

Can you hear the collective snickers, world-wide?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 pm

They got hacked.

China wanted to get rid of the 7th fleet admiral, in exchange for helping out with north korea. U.s. said no.

He seems to have ticked off the chinese in a big way. 4 ship wrecks of missle frigates, the u.s. had to have to attack north korea will do it.

1 is an accident.

2 is a coincidence

3 is a pattern

4 is confirmation.

The most recent accident, the ship reported stearing issues just before, resolved them, then the accident happened. Sure sounds like how a hack would procead on such a fly by wire system. Hack, test you have control, return to normal, wait for opertunity.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Yeah, some kind of hacking and/or jamming seems likely. And I'm guessing it cost a lot less to hack those systems, than it did to build them.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 pm

John McCain hit by a vessel chartered by Stealth Maritime Corporation just days after it pissed off the Chinese by passing near the Spratly Islands. Yep, that would send a message loud and clear if somebody wanted to send a message.

The first military ship hit by a merchant vessel recently was the Russian Liman sunk in the Bosporus, btw.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 pm

admin wrote:They got hacked.
bollocks

That's not the real reason. Only an excuse.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:53 am

Hack is probably the wrong word. 90% the chips on the ship are probably made in China or have a Chinese sub-contractor involved in their production. The U.S. government probably paid 2000% their market value to have those chips installed.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Andres

Post by Andres » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 am

There are many redundant systems on an Air Warfare Destroyer which could have alerted ship 'operators' to the danger.
None of them are subject to "hacks". Though I do not know the intimate details of designs of each component, my expectation is that none (or almost none) have chips which would be affected.
On top of all the 'automated' systems such a vessel has, both in its combat system and separate navigation system, there are also "Mark 1 eyeballs" which should have detected the commercial vessel and avoided it. They (the "Mark 1 eyeballs") are not subject to hack or faulty chips, only arrogance and incompetence.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:37 am

Andres wrote:
There are many redundant systems on an Air Warfare Destroyer which could have alerted ship 'operators' to the danger.
None of them are subject to "hacks".
Yep. Highly unlikely, unless nobody learnt anything from history.
President Jimmy Carter’s national-security adviser, Zbigniew Brzezinski, was asleep in Washington, D.C., when the phone rang. His military aide, General William Odom, was calling to inform him that two hundred and twenty missiles launched from Soviet submarines were heading toward the United States. Brzezinski told Odom to get confirmation of the attack. A retaliatory strike would have to be ordered quickly; Washington might be destroyed within minutes. Odom called back and offered a correction: twenty-two hundred Soviet missiles had been launched.

As he prepared to call Carter and recommend an American counterattack, the phone rang for a third time. Odom apologized—it was a false alarm. An investigation later found that a defective computer chip in a communications device at NORAD headquarters had generated the erroneous warning. The chip cost forty-six cents.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk ... by-mistake