Serious heating

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Serious heating

Post by Britkid » Sun May 28, 2017 9:56 am

Haven't read the whole thread. If you really want to make a hole in the wall, you could find out how much it would cost to fix it/ fill it in when you leave and offer to give this amount of money to the landlord in advance before you even make the hole.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 pm

The hole in the wall, at least for my unit, is only about 7.5 centimeters in diameter. Shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to patch.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 pm

mem wrote:
lost gringo wrote:I like to error on the cautious side and have a Toyotomi 55T. It does vent through an outside wall and can be connected to an external tank. Mine is connected to 50 liter tank and lasts for months.
Were you able to buy the external tank at a place like sodimac? I am very interested in the external tank option. Is there a distance limitation such as the hoses/cables that connect the unit to the external tank only come in certain lengths?

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with these units : )
The main Toyatomi store on Vitacura has a stainless steel tank maker, instaler, on call. Decent product and helpful guy with a lot of experience instaling them all over the country. Built in filter too.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon May 29, 2017 3:24 pm

Over there, serious heating needing but here, needing to starting to use the central cooling. Already used A/C unit twice and climate still in May. I better hop over to Chilitolandia anytime soon and enjoy the cold temperature!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm

We recently Installed a central heating with Pellet based system, with radiators. The convinence is great, the price is not. Not only the installation costs but the ongoing costs, at the moment we are using two 18kgs bags of pellets per day (approx 6200 pesos) to heat an area of approximately 180 square metres and keeping an inside temperature of about 20 degrees. This winter is a lot colder and damper it seems than the last few years. The house is new and insulated. I anticipate an annual bill for heating at about 1 million pesos, the sales guy said it would be a lot less than that. It's still great and so much easier than wood, but yeah the running costs are quite high.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

mem

Post by mem » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Yah, pellet stoves will get the job done and its definitely a popular alternative to shlepping wood constantly, its just the whole reliance on all those pallets of pellets that you need if you want to store up a couple/few years of burning fuel. I guess you could try to make your own pellets, but then I think you are back to a similar level of labor of dealing/stacking/moving firewood with actually making pellets, but I don't really know the details of making large quantities of pellets. Might not be practical/feasible

Perhaps moreso than others, we are sensitive/aware of supply line disruptions or price spikes such as may occur with pellets or kerosene/paraffin, while wood literally grows on trees. Massive EQ's, Tsunamis, Volcano lahars destroying major roads/bridges, etc when you are in south Araucania or even further south.
Don't get me wrong, I would still love to get into a central heating pellet or kerosene/propane fuel situation on my own property, but I would have to have ALOT of it stored up for a big buffer. A couple of 10,000 liter tanks of propane ( I don't think Kerosene has a multi-year shelf-life) or a large secure bodega storing nothing but pallets and pallets of pellets so I have several years between when I would run out of those with no resupply. Same thing we would do if wood stove was our primary source of heart. 500-1000 cubic meters of firewood in the secure bodega...lol club med for the chilean recluses : /

Regardless, hooking up the stove, whether it be pellet or wood to a radiator system is key. One of the best ways to distribute heat to the whole house evenly in lieu of a ducted forced air, a la western world system

All fine and good when you are in your own place on your own land on your own little piece of nature

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:07 pm

You know the first couple years of pellet stoves being around I was a bit suspicious of them keeping the flow of pellets in the market. Now, there is sufficient demand and sufficient producers, that it is not that big of deal. If there is a danger right now, it is over saturating the market because every weon with a sawmill is producing them now.

Let me put it this way. If an earthquake or whatever interrupts the flow of pellets for say more than a month, we all have much bigger problems. It likely means there is no gas to run chainsaws or trucks or anything else.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 am

mem wrote:Yah, pellet stoves will get the job done and its definitely a popular alternative to shlepping wood constantly, its just the whole reliance on all those pallets of pellets that you need if you want to store up a couple/few years of burning fuel. I guess you could try to make your own pellets, but then I think you are back to a similar level of labor of dealing/stacking/moving firewood with actually making pellets, but I don't really know the details of making large quantities of pellets. Might not be practical/feasible

Perhaps moreso than others, we are sensitive/aware of supply line disruptions or price spikes such as may occur with pellets or kerosene/paraffin, while wood literally grows on trees. Massive EQ's, Tsunamis, Volcano lahars destroying major roads/bridges, etc when you are in south Araucania or even further south.
Don't get me wrong, I would still love to get into a central heating pellet or kerosene/propane fuel situation on my own property, but I would have to have ALOT of it stored up for a big buffer. A couple of 10,000 liter tanks of propane ( I don't think Kerosene has a multi-year shelf-life) or a large secure bodega storing nothing but pallets and pallets of pellets so I have several years between when I would run out of those with no resupply. Same thing we would do if wood stove was our primary source of heart. 500-1000 cubic meters of firewood in the secure bodega...lol club med for the chilean recluses : /

Regardless, hooking up the stove, whether it be pellet or wood to a radiator system is key. One of the best ways to distribute heat to the whole house evenly in lieu of a ducted forced air, a la western world system

All fine and good when you are in your own place on your own land on your own little piece of nature
When pellet stoves first came onto the market here, there was a shortage of supply (seems to be a bit of a recurring theme here, the cart before the horse type senarios) anyway, the first year was a bit chaotic the second a bit better and now there is no problemo with supply and yes a lot of people think it's going to be their get rich quick scheme. The quality is shocking apparently from the new guys with a machine from Alibaba in the back of their sawmill. The key is the sawdust must be DRY, a crucial point the amateurs don't always adhere to, so best to buy only the certified ones. I toyed with making them myself for about 5 minutes, the effort and return wasn't worth it. I think you could stockpile at least a year's worth very easily. It would only be a couple of pallets worth (100 bags to the Pallet, so wouldn't actually take up much space if you have a garage or small bodega, as long as its dry, certainly a lot less space than firewood would Occupy. The effort of firewood, the rodents that live in it were what pushed me towards the pellets, and the convince of coming home on a cold Sunday evening and walking into a nice toasty warm house is worth it. I don't think they will catch on big time here owing to the cost.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:31 am

41southchile wrote:
mem wrote:Yah, pellet stoves will get the job done and its definitely a popular alternative to shlepping wood constantly, its just the whole reliance on all those pallets of pellets that you need if you want to store up a couple/few years of burning fuel. I guess you could try to make your own pellets, but then I think you are back to a similar level of labor of dealing/stacking/moving firewood with actually making pellets, but I don't really know the details of making large quantities of pellets. Might not be practical/feasible

When pellet stoves first came onto the market here, there was a shortage of supply (seems to be a bit of a recurring theme here, the cart before the horse type senarios) anyway, the first year was a bit chaotic the second a bit better and now there is no problemo with supply and yes a lot of people think it's going to be their get rich quick scheme. The quality is shocking apparently from the new guys with a machine from Alibaba in the back of their sawmill. The key is the sawdust must be DRY, a crucial point the amateurs don't always adhere to, so best to buy only the certified ones. I toyed with making them myself for about 5 minutes, the effort and return wasn't worth it. I think you could stockpile at least a year's worth very easily. It would only be a couple of pallets worth (100 bags to the Pallet, so wouldn't actually take up much space if you have a garage or small bodega, as long as its dry, certainly a lot less space than firewood would Occupy. The effort of firewood, the rodents that live in it, etc, were what pushed me towards the pellets, and the convinience of coming home on a cold Sunday evening and walking into a nice toasty warm house is worth it. I don't think they will catch on big time here owing to the cost.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm

We got in from Stgo in the wee hours last night. Timer had started the Toyatomi half an hour before we arrived.
The whole house was just right, including the rooms down the hall (slightly cooler), because it circulates the air really well. No odor what so ever. Air not dry, or dusty. No argument whether to move wood, and light the stove, or who would do it. Talk about quality of life.
Filled the 200 lt tank the oter day. Two trips to the gas station with bidones. 1 hourish. No big deal. Now just buttons for quite a while. Might fire up the Bosca tonight just because I like to.
Since we started homeschooling and got the Toyatomi, our doctor visits for colds, flus and alergies, have been nearly absent. Might even pay for a large chunk of the two.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Gloria wrote:
seawolf180 wrote:We got in from Stgo in the wee hours last night. Timer had started the Toyatomi half an hour before we arrived.
The whole house was just right, including the rooms down the hall (slightly cooler), because it circulates the air really well. No odor what so ever. Air not dry, or dusty. No argument whether to move wood, and light the stove, or who would do it. Talk about quality of life.
Filled the 200 lt tank the oter day. Two trips to the gas station with bidones. 1 hourish. No big deal. Now just buttons for quite a while. Might fire up the Bosca tonight just because I like to.
Since we started homeschooling and got the Toyatomi, our doctor visits for colds, flus and alergies, have been nearly absent. Might even pay for a large chunk of the two.
Don´t ya love those japs that came out with such a bright idea? Toyotomi or die!!! :alien: :lol:
I do.
If I now could only afford to retro fit the many windows and doors with thermal pane. Might have to start swapping them out one at a time. Window maker in town is now making them, fairly economical, but with aluminum. Not convinced about the aluminum.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Gloria wrote:
seawolf180 wrote: I do.
If I now could only afford to retro fit the many windows and doors with thermal pane. Might have to start swapping them out one at a time. Window maker in town is now making them, fairly economical, but with aluminum. Not convinced about the aluminum.
Instead get vinyl. You'll love it!
Isnt it a whole lot more expensive? Im talking a lot of windows and sliding doors.