Serious heating

General topics related to Living in Chile
mem

Serious heating

Post by mem » Wed May 24, 2017 11:16 pm

We are living in a 190m2 rental house out in the country in the villarrica/pucon area and whew is it chilly this year. The house we are in now is up at like 1500' , and the bosca limit 450 does an okay job heating our 1 story house, but the extremities of the house still stay pretty cold and the wood stove takes tons of wood. Of course the house has single pane windows, at least its only 1 story though. I don't really care to heat the extremities as the house is basically one large common room that is the living, dining, and kitchen, then just a hallway that goes away fromt he common room with all the bedrooms. I am only trying to heat the large common area, i think the common area is about 110m2

I tried buying a Toyotomi EPH-121, the seemingly best electric infrared heater they make for 200k CLP but it didn't even begin to help or offset the wood stove. Returned it next day

I am well aware of the laser/LC paraffin toyotomi's that do not require ventilation. I guess I could get one or two of these, but the 7-8Liter tank means constant refilling and I am skeptical of the fumes...is it easy/possible/safe to connect these portable paraffin units to a remote external tank that can be much larger like 50-100 liters?

I also looked at the FF vented kerosene Toyotomis, but I don't have a way to vent it in the rental house without punching a hole in the wall for the ventilation which I know the landlords will not be up for

What I really would like is a split ducted electric heater/ac unit. I see that Toyotomi makes these Direct inverted units, but again they have to be installed in the wall

The one unit I did find on Toyotomi's site is an AC only unit that allows you to install it in an operable window and then there is this insert piece that seals off the window, but the unit doesnt do heating.

Does anyone know of some kind of serious heating unit that can be installed in a window like the above AC unit? I don't care if its a million+ CLP. If I can find something like this then we can use it in this rental and any future rental or house we buy and maybe even stop having to use the wood stove so much

The only other option I think is to bite the bullet and get a couple of the laser/LC no vent paraffin Toyotomis, but I am loathe to have to spend the million+ pesos for the privilege of constantly shuttling kerosene and trusting they aren't actually putting toxic fumes in any quantity into the house.

frozen-north

Re: Serious heating

Post by frozen-north » Thu May 25, 2017 12:21 am

mem wrote:
I am well aware of the laser/LC paraffin toyotomi's that do not require ventilation
I wasn't aware, so I had to look it up, and it seems that they still need a hole in the wall, but just a small hole.

L-300 Toyotomi Laser Vented Heater

Toyotomi direct vent heating systems use outdoor air for combustion by utilizing their unique "pipe-within-a-pipe" forced-flue venting technology warming the incoming outdoor combustion air by the warm outgoing exhausted air

A small vent cap is all that shows on the outside.

https://www.toyotomiusa.com/factoryOutl ... uct_id=204

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 am

Yea the pucon area has a whole mess of badly constructed houses built and designed for summer, mostly by people from santiago that wanted the cheapest possible house for either vacatiin or summer rental.

With tyvek, minimal insulatiin, and thermal windows they would likly not even need heating.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu May 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Insulated curtains for the windows, take them with you to your next house.......be very careful with "no vent" heaters, the CO has to go somewhere.......
It's all about the wine.

passport

Post by passport » Thu May 25, 2017 2:02 pm

I would persevere in getting the owner's permission to make a hole in the wall. Concentric intake/exhaust opens a new world of possibilities but only needs like a 4" hole. It should be seen as an asset, not a liability, for renting to others in the future.

mem

Post by mem » Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Gloria wrote:
nwdiver wrote:and we have been using the laser/LC Toyotomi for 8 years! It's a matter of fact, we don't even get soot as most wood stoves produce.
Hi Gloria - So I was up late looking at the LC-43 and LC-53. Sodimac and Falabella sell them, but Falabella has actual user reviews. What skeered me about the Falabella reviews was all the complaints about the stinky smell even during normal operation after lighting, etc. Some people say they can only run it for a couple hours before they get a headache and have to turn it off.

Have you experienced this smell? There are not a lot of reviews on Falabella, maybe 8 and i'd say 2 were positive and 6 were complaining about the smell/headaches on LC-43 and LC-53.

Which model LC's have you been running for 8 years with success?

Thanks!

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I have had an LC 53 as my sole source of heat for my semi sealed apt for about 4 winters now I think.

I smell it on startup and a tiny bit when it turns off. Not at all when it's running. Really couldn't even tell whether or not it's on. I have never felt that it is lowering the o2 level or increasing the CO in the air.

I suspect the reviews are heavily weighted to cons because the kind of people who imagine they smell it are also the kind of people who like to complain about stuff.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Thu May 25, 2017 4:33 pm

If Gloria says her heater is odor free and she doesn't notice any CO2 problem, trust her she's usually correct with advice. I like to error on the cautious side and have a Toyotomi 55T. It does vent through an outside wall and can be connected to an external tank. Mine is connected to 50 liter tank and lasts for months. I sometimes have to open the windows because it gets so warm inside and my house is far from hermetically sealed.

I use it alternately with an airtight woodstove. the Toyotomi in the morning because it's just push a button and heats quickly. In the evening I light a fire in the woodstove which lasts thru the night. Works well for me.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:08 pm

My only complaint with the heater is that when I use it a lot I have to go down to my garage every 2 or 3 days to fill up and to the COPEC every couple of weeks to buy more. Not a big issue but if it was a house and not an apt I would have seriously considered a big tank outside like lostgringo.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu May 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Usar estufas a parafina se compara con estar en un túnel en medio de un taco

"Nosotros hemos corroborado que los niveles de partículas ultrafinas que se registran dentro de una casa con una Toyotomi se equiparan a estar en el tubo de escape de un auto diésel, es decir, es peor que el tubo de escape de un auto bencinero; es como estar metido en un taco dentro de un túnel", ejemplificó el experto.

http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/pais ... 43551.html

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Study is a bit of a joke. The so called expert is drawing conclusions from a study involving three houses in La Florida.....

The statement that the house environment could be worse than the exhaust pipe is a complete joke, the environment in the exhaust pipe would be lethal and the particulate concentration orders of magnitude higher.

The picture is not even of a laser type Toyotomi which is what we are discussing here.

I dont put a lot of faith in anything coming out of the Chilean government, sponsored University studies or thge local papers.

mem

Post by mem » Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 pm

lost gringo wrote:I like to error on the cautious side and have a Toyotomi 55T. It does vent through an outside wall and can be connected to an external tank. Mine is connected to 50 liter tank and lasts for months.
Were you able to buy the external tank at a place like sodimac? I am very interested in the external tank option. Is there a distance limitation such as the hoses/cables that connect the unit to the external tank only come in certain lengths?

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with these units : )