What will surprise me?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Enzo

What will surprise me?

Post by Enzo » Wed May 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello all,

I'm from the United States, but I have lived in Colombia, Italy, Ecuador and will be moving to Chile in July. I feel that I have experienced my fair share of Latin culture (especially having lived in Italy where it all began) and the frustrations that can arise in dealing with bureaucracy, poor infrastructure, lack of Western public etiquette (queuing, driving, elevators, etc.) etc. etc. Is there anyone who has had similar living experiences that might be able to shed light on what might surprise me upon arrival in Chile?

I have read a lot on this board and many people say that the bureaucracy is suffocating and after a few years of dashed dreams newbies often run back home. I am way beyond that, having been out of the States for many years, but is there anything that might still shock me? Positive or negative?

Thank you for any info.

Enzo

admin
Site Admin

Re: What will surprise me?

Post by admin » Wed May 24, 2017 4:17 pm

If you have lived in those places, you will probably find Chile highly efficient. Yea, you might find the bureaucracy a little frustrating, but mostly because of a lack of corruption to circumvent particularly annoying bureaucracy.

The ones that tend to go crying home to the U.S. or wherever, tend to not have every lived anywhere else. They probably would have been just as unhappy, if they moved to say another part of the United States; but, decided to make Chile their first attempt at international living. Chile just happened to be the arbitrary point the map they chose.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 pm

I think there is another way to put it.

There are two sorts of groups, for the most part that can not live in Chile.

Those that are not happy with Chile vs. those that are not happy anywhere but home (i.e. they are homesick). For example, someone that has traveled all over the World, given Chile a bit of go, then decided they did not like Chile, and moves on: that is fair. Chile is not for everyone.

Then you got a whole bunch of people that criticize the hell out of Chile, as they head home, but are really criticizing their own decision.

In either case, patience is a useful tool.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed May 24, 2017 4:51 pm

admin wrote: mostly because of a lack of corruption to circumvent particularly annoying bureaucracy.
True enough!

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 am

Gloria wrote:
If you have lived in Italy, Chile's a mirror image, including the attitude....." che me ne frega" in every aspect so I doubt anything will surprise you however the mafia is not as visible as it is in the old country.
Funny, I felt the same thing when I was there for my job interview last year.

Thanks for the info.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Thu May 25, 2017 10:30 am

Interesting question. The bureaucracy should be no problemo after living in Italy. Nothing really surprises me anymore, although a few things surprise people when I tell them back in NZ what things are like here but that's more other people's lack of knowledge about this long skinny country. Living in the countries you mentioned you should be fine here

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Enzo
Well you will no doubt be frustrated by the strikes and the convoluted bureaucracy - but it still beats the hell out of most places. Every time I get really annoyed with the apparent lack of manners - for example, being trampled in the metro - some thing wonderful happens.
So, al fin, I love chile. As a practical suggestion, you might want to look into Banmedica, an insurance program associated with Clinica
Santa Maria. I have received excellent care there - it's light years ahead of the eeuu. That would be in the good surprise category.
Happy trails.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu May 25, 2017 11:53 am

ghibli wrote:you might want to look into Banmedica, an insurance program associated with Clinica
Santa Maria. I have received excellent care there - it's light years ahead of the eeuu. That would be in the good surprise category.
Happy trails.
Ahhhh... excellent advice. I believe through my employer I have the option to choose our insurance coverage so any advice on that will be helpful. As newcomers, we will of course have no idea.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm

With your experience and attitude, the main surprise maybe how well you adapt to this beautiful and interesting country.
We have only lived in the states for over 60 years, never traveled much, and now call
Chile home.
We are so happy here that we have bought cemetery plots!
Bienvenidos!
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Your experience may also vary depending on the region. I'm in a bus from Villa Alemana to Santiago now, we were visiting friends.

It looks like many people here can't take their damn trash to a trash can. It's filthy and dusty, almost another country vibe compared to the South.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu May 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Compared to where you have lived, pretty boring food, getting much better but has a long way to go....... I notice every time I get back to Vancouver everything I take for granted that I've missed......
It's all about the wine.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu May 25, 2017 5:26 pm

nwdiver wrote:Compared to where you have lived, pretty boring food, getting much better but has a long way to go....... I notice every time I get back to Vancouver everything I take for granted that I've missed......

Hmmm... I would have thought that at least the access to international cuisine will be greater in Santiago than the other places I have lived. Of course, it's hard to beat local Italian food in Italy.