Holiday Wednesday 19th April for Census

General topics related to Living in Chile
Donnybrook

Re: Holiday Wednesday 19th April for Census

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm

MJSaywell wrote:typical a wasted opportunity to actually ask some more substantial and relevant questions, how the hell did they come up with those ? Some are stock standard and could be gainned from records already, theres no real health questions, language abilities, those are just a couple just off the top of my head, if you are going to make the huge friggin effort and cost at least ask a few more relevant questions that can not be gathered off info aleady readilty avaliable databases.
The first census I was counted in here was in the early 90s. They asked everything! Did you have a car, a washing machine etc. I suppose having those became less of an economic marker than before. I don't remember questions about income. I guess the washing machine question was supposed to cover that! I imagine they streamlined it to encourage people to answer the questions. I remember that old census as being a lot more invasive than this one.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Feliz Día del Censo Amigos!!
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Local authorities put out an emergency call for volunteers about 25 minutes ago. There has been a 1% absence of original volunteers in particular for San Antonio, Cartagena and El Tabo. Seems like they did not like being assigned to areas not near their digs.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
The first census I was counted in here was in the early 90s. They asked everything! Did you have a car, a washing machine etc. I suppose having those became less of an economic marker than before. I don't remember questions about income. I guess the washing machine question was supposed to cover that! I imagine they streamlined it to encourage people to answer the questions. I remember that old census as being a lot more invasive than this one.
Invasive/intrusive questions are a big objection many people have to some of the questions in any census, in particular if one is obliged by law to answer them. In the last Canadian census one of the questions was 'What language do you speak at home?" There was no space to answer that I live alone and I don't talk to myself ...yet.
Census may change some questions after pushback from public

The U.S. Census Bureau is considering whether to drop some questions that it has used for decades from its largest household survey of Americans. First under review are four of the touchiest topics: Plumbing, commuting, income and disability.

2- What time did [each person in the household] usually leave home to go to work last week?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... om-public/
Great question to know what time to rob your house. It reminds me of some social media thing a few years ago that allowed people to post when there was nobody home.

I remember hearing an interview in which Stats Canada admitted that it allowed businesses to put questions in the census that usually would have been part of a regular business survey, but now citizens were required by law to answer.

The long-form census is rife with intrusive questions

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-co ... -intrusive

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Interesting that they haven't included religion. It seems quite "neutral" compared to skipped income- or property-related questions.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Space Cat wrote:Interesting that they haven't included religion. It seems quite "neutral" compared to skipped income- or property-related questions.
Religion was always a question which didn't reflect anything much. Lots of people would put Catholic as they had been raised Catholic but no longer practised. This gave the Catholic church unrealistic numbers of genuine Catholics which, some argued, could then be used to give the impression of a bigger presence in the country than was actually the case.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:15 pm

The eggs for our "holiday" brunch had just hit the pan when ferocious barking announced the arrival of the censista! Great timing! But thanks to having already seen the questions thoughtfully posted on this website, the process went quickly and we were able to get back to the eggs before they got cold. Just about the fastest "tramite" ever, in our experience. But I must agree with others, the questions were ridiculously meaningless. Surely hope vital policy decisions will not be made based on the information gained through this census.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Ours came early as well. I told her to wait 5 minuets while I got changed. I had just got out of bed.

I decided to go for a bike ride down the motorway and round the centre of town, probably the only chance I'll get to cycle in those places without inhaling traffic fumes. One shop, one cafe open, rest of town closed. Took me a minute to realize I could actually cycle down the middle of the main road into town instead of the pavement.

One of the nice things about Chile, you can cycle down a pavement or motorway hard shoulder or jog down a train track if so inclined, and not worry you'll get arrested or even frowned at.

Saw lots of census people, lots of them say more than half 18-25 probably targeted students to do the job, I saw one lot of them parked up smoking but the rest seemed to be working diligently.

paladin

Post by paladin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 pm

I understood that a census was meant to be anonymous . What's my name got to do with anything ?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Los Ríos and Los Lagos got their census going up to Friday due to the small number of volunteers in some communes...

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 pm

A lot of buildings in Santiago were not covered. Entire buildings. Nuñoa was particularly census free. The idea is that they will return over the next 2 weeks but it won't be a holiday and who knows if they will find people at home. Other people stayed in all day and then found a citation in their mailbox as if they had not answered the door. All sorts of chatter on Facebook with no one really clear on what will happen. I got a school kid, couldn't have been more than 16, with the worst handwriting I have ever seen, so good luck compiling the information.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 pm

paladin wrote:I understood that a census was meant to be anonymous . What's my name got to do with anything ?
Haven't you ever looked for an ancestor in an old census? :D