Best phone and internet companies?

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Re: Best phone and internet companies?

Post by admin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:37 am

Britkid wrote:Movistar is hit and miss quality with almost consistently poor customer service, you pray nothing goes wrong if you are with them.
I have been known to bite the heads off more than a few Movistar employees over the years. In fact, can not really recall ever finding one I did not get in to an argument with. They are well known for their indifferent incompetence. My wife and I recently went in to change phones and plans. She told me from the start to just keep quiet, and she would handle it. Like 5 mins later I was telling her to calm down as she was about to choke the girl on the other side of the counter for just screwing everything up, top to bottom. I kept telling her "calm down, she is just sales person at movistar". Like saying, 'don't blame the mentally retarded child, they can't help it'.

There was sort of happy ending. After fighting with the desk-jocky that insisted there was no data plan with more data than what we had, turns out for once she was wrong in our favor and the plan I got was actually twice what she insisted did not exist.

Yea, Movistar is one of those companies I just dread anything going wrong that I might actually have to interact with one of their employees.

One tactic that does seem to have a fairly high success rate in dealing with the lazy unhappy desk-jockies in Chile, is to convince them in some way that by helping you out, they are screwing their boss or company over. However much they might dislike you, they definitely dislike their boss more. Become a co-conspirators, even if the results is just the service you should have gotten without resorting psyops to get it done.

My father-in-law was master at it. He would tear down some poor waiter, sales rep, or service guy until they were almost in tears, then build their ego back-up so they thought they were number one in the country. He would walk out with the employee thinking they were best friends, and being told to come straight to them if he ever needed anything in the future. I have never mastered it on the level he did. He was fast and subtle, to the point he could get them there in a few minuets of random conversation. I don't think even if my Spanish was better I could do it the way he did it. I even got a long lecture from one of "his people" 6 months after my father-in-law had died (a door man at his apartment building). They developed this freakishly cult like loyalty to him. Everything the guy said to me, was totally my father-in-law's marching orders down to the words he was using. Even now, if we stumble across anyone that knew my father-in-law (e.g. bank executives, real estate agents, waiters, maestros, etc.), problems just magically get solved.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Britkid wrote:Movistar is hit and miss quality with almost consistently poor customer service, you pray nothing goes wrong if you are with them.
My last interaction with Movistar last week was actually quite good. I had to cancel their service in an apartment and managed to do so online within 10 minutes through their customer service chat. They said the service will be cancelled the next day and I'll get a prorated bill only for the days the service was active this month. Fingers crossed.

Same thing last year took me like 5 or 6 visits to one of their offices over six weeks, and they charged me full price till the end of the current month.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:09 pm

admin wrote:
I have been known to bite the heads off more than a few Movistar employees over the years. In fact, can not really recall ever finding one I did not get in to an argument with. They are well known for their indifferent incompetence. My wife and I recently went in to change phones and plans. She told me from the start to just keep quiet, and she would handle it. Like 5 mins later I was telling her to calm down as she was about to choke the girl on the other side of the counter for just screwing everything up, top to bottom. I kept telling her "calm down, she is just sales person at movistar". Like saying, 'don't blame the mentally retarded child, they can't help it'.

There was sort of happy ending. After fighting with the desk-jocky that insisted there was no data plan with more data than what we had, turns out for once she was wrong in our favor and the plan I got was actually twice what she insisted did not exist.

Yea, Movistar is one of those companies I just dread anything going wrong that I might actually have to interact with one of their employees.

One tactic that does seem to have a fairly high success rate in dealing with the lazy unhappy desk-jockies in Chile, is to convince them in some way that by helping you out, they are screwing their boss or company over. However much they might dislike you, they definitely dislike their boss more. Become a co-conspirators, even if the results is just the service you should have gotten without resorting psyops to get it done.

My father-in-law was master at it. He would tear down some poor waiter, sales rep, or service guy until they were almost in tears, then build their ego back-up so they thought they were number one in the country. He would walk out with the employee thinking they were best friends, and being told to come straight to them if he ever needed anything in the future. I have never mastered it on the level he did. He was fast and subtle, to the point he could get them there in a few minuets of random conversation. I don't think even if my Spanish was better I could do it the way he did it. I even got a long lecture from one of "his people" 6 months after my father-in-law had died (a door man at his apartment building). They developed this freakishly cult like loyalty to him. Everything the guy said to me, was totally my father-in-law's marching orders down to the words he was using. Even now, if we stumble across anyone that knew my father-in-law (e.g. bank executives, real estate agents, waiters, maestros, etc.), problems just magically get solved.
Ha,ha,haa Latin American in general always say- No hay, ( faster and easier for them to say so )they are too lazy to look up if available or not.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Indifference is right. When you are in a store for Movistar, sooner or later you will see someone get into an argument with them. The Movistar employee might be getting shouted out, berated, but they don't seem to be phased at all, it just washes over them, it's obvious that this is part of the job at Movistar and they've long since become hardened to it. They don't even try to disguise that they don't care by putting on a polite tone of voice. The words may be polite, but the tone of voice, body language is so on says "don't care" clear as day.

And yet guess who provides our internet, TV and phone to my house. Movistar! The only fibre optic cable vs some kind of non cabled service means they can offer double the speed at half the cost of the others.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Don't Tread On Me Either.

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Space Cat wrote:Internet – Telefónica del Sur: fast, very stable, available only in Southern Chile

Phone – Virgin Mobile: simple to understand anti-plans and bolsas, nice site to manage everything from Internet, it uses Movistar's cell towers and network in general

Better don't get anything from VTR if you can avoid it.
I was pleasantly surprised that I can stream Sirius XM over restaurant Wi-Fi in Puerto Varas, with no skips or drop-outs. Would they most likely be using Telefonica del Sur?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 pm

papageno wrote:
Space Cat wrote:Internet – Telefónica del Sur: fast, very stable, available only in Southern Chile

Phone – Virgin Mobile: simple to understand anti-plans and bolsas, nice site to manage everything from Internet, it uses Movistar's cell towers and network in general

Better don't get anything from VTR if you can avoid it.
I was pleasantly surprised that I can stream Sirius XM over restaurant Wi-Fi in Puerto Varas, with no skips or drop-outs. Would they most likely be using Telefonica del Sur?
I bet so. I had no problem playing low-latency multiplayer video games on NYC servers. Ping was 120-150ms - not a great one in terms of realtime gaming but probably the best you can get from Valdivia to NYC.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm

And I thought that hands down Entel won the prize for unbelievably bad customer relations followed by another first prize for unbelievably bad delivery of promised services. So I should be glad Movistar refuses to deal with us?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 pm

I have to say VTR (in south V Region) held up quite well on an anomalous day when everyone was "home" waiting for gov reporters to come. Would not have expected that from cable banda ancha.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 am

I've been using since recently a VTR 120 plan. Since I work in a home office most of the time during hours when most Chileans are out to work, everything has been perfect this far.

I've been using Movistar prepaid on a CLP $7500 plan with 1.5 GB internet, plus some calls and SMS. It have worked well thus far, and by using a plan I can easily purchase through their self service system at *303# I have managed this far to avoid their customer support.

Both experiences were in Santiago, for whatever that's worth.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

allyall

Post by allyall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Here's a little story: When I moved in 5 years ago (in Vitacura) I got VTR, mostly because there was no choice. VTR was who supplied my building - period. A 20Mbps cable connection, and it really worked very well for a little over a year. Then, about a week before some soccer game or another, it appears someone (or maybe more than one) in my building upgraded their VTR service, and the "technicians" screwed up my connection in the process. Of course, it took me several months of losing connectivity for 30-90m at a time as many as 11 times per day to make the connection, with calls to tech support met with the indolent incompetence and the exceptional time-wasting one would expect. The idiots went as far as sending someone out to replace the modem at least 5 times. Bottom line is I lost a full year of having a usable connection at home, and countless hours on tech support calls trying to get them to do something proactive about the problem, because these people were simply incapable of a networking diagnostic. Not enough brain-cells to comprehend the cause-and-effect, let alone work ethic to carry it out..

For a while I just used my phone as a hotspot, and then one day I noticed someone in my building had Movistar cable, though no one had Movistar internet. Many calls to Movistar, intermediation between them and our building manager (it's a condo), letters back and forth, feasibility studies and permissions later, about 3 months all told, I was actually able to get Movistar to run a line from a nearby telephone pole into my building & give me sweet DSL at 40Mbps. I was reluctant to get Movistar because they don't exactly have a good reputation here with performance or customer service, but I was really up a tree. With all the positive stuff I've heard about GTD Manquehue, and the GTD repair-van that eats lunch half a block from my building a few times a week, I tried with them, but they could not reach this side of the street, so Movistar it was.

That was over 2 years ago, and other than a daily disconnection for a few seconds (in a typically Chilean maintenance window around 10am - when it's the most inconvenient for the greatest possible number of people...), and two or three outages in the one to three hour range, it's worked flawlessly.

In my case VTR's customer service was nothing but shameless gaslighting, and Movistar works. So even though there are general opinions out there about each company, I don't think these companies are well organized enough that the brand actually means much - the quality of your service will probably depend mostly on your luck and the local office you land on. Some work for a living, others try to ignore their customer base as best they can while collecting checks. It's not that different from utilities in the US, in that most people will give you advice based principally on how to avoid their own last bad experience.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

at46 wrote:
My last interaction with Movistar last week was actually quite good. I had to cancel their service in an apartment and managed to do so online within 10 minutes through their customer service chat. They said the service will be cancelled the next day and I'll get a prorated bill only for the days the service was active this month. Fingers crossed.

Same thing last year took me like 5 or 6 visits to one of their offices over six weeks, and they charged me full price till the end of the current month.
So trying to cancel Movistar service via chat on their website did not work after all (surprise, surprise). I'm back to bugging them in person in their office.

WTF is wrong with these people?

In brighter news, I had VTR service upgraded recently and the speed went up tenfold, but the bill is still the same as before. I don't think I wanna do anything about that. Is that bad karma or not?