Fires

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Fires

Post by Britkid » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Wow, amazing story. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you all.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Over a year ago, December 2015. This Gringo loco jumped out of his car and started stamping out a cigarette fire some driver had caused in the dry grass at the autopista junction.

All the locals found me quite amusing stamping around.

A few days later presumably another cigarette caused 100m square area to burn out before fire brigade presumbly got there...

None of this has really surprised me.

Bachelet will rebuild the homes, but what about buying equipment for next year to prevent this? What about deploying a much bigger amount of army, instead of relying on foreigners flying in, I see the Frenh have landed in large numbers.

I also found it weird last week they were on about sending large amounts of diggers to go bury all the burnt cattle/wild life. But I was thinking why don't they send then to make fire breaks first.... odd.

I see the Brazilians have dropped water from back of hercules, these can land on beaches, but they'd need a pump set up there in advance and also refueling tankers to meet them. All a bit advance for Chilean military I feel.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Every one is asking why chile is renting huey helicopters, when the chilean military has lots of them and newer. They fly over my house all the time. Are they saving them for that next big war they might have to fight?

Well it looks like it is starting, or ending. The santiago news channels are rapidly dropping coverage in favour of canned summer programs. Most likly that has to do with everyone wants to get on with there summer vacation.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 pm

On another note, pinera got to 41% in a recent poll. That is all about the bachelet's handling of the fire.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:58 pm

576,000 hectares burned

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 pm

One massive screwup, and is classic bachelet, is reports that aid sent without a brand name the goverment is slappimg their own logo on it.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Wow that was an amazing story, fortunately have never been in a bush fire. Absolutely terrifying.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:49 am

admin wrote:One massive screwup, and is classic bachelet, is reports that aid sent without a brand name the goverment is slappimg their own logo on it.
Yeah the US gov aid has gone up to $750,000 USD now. Not sure if Trump knows his departments of foreign affairs/embassy are helping S. Americans though, haha.

I guess deploying your own guys if their in summer vacation might come with hefty costs, are the rentef hueys south American? As labour from neigbouring countries like Peru and Bolivia might be cheaper then paying Chilean pilots to work through their summer holidays. Just speculation though, like most things on the fire, huge amount of speculation left open and facebook rumour wheel and conspiracies are alive on Chileans facebooks.

Someone said why arent they catching thr guys. I did see a helicopter cam footage of two guys on horses setting off fire bombs, not sure if they caught them or where thr footage is actually from as was not on a news channel but facebook. It was plastered with Mapuche hate.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:50 am

hlf2888, great story.

I was starting to wonder about the lack of communication out of members we know are in the area.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:53 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:
admin wrote:One massive screwup, and is classic bachelet, is reports that aid sent without a brand name the goverment is slappimg their own logo on it.
Yeah the US gov aid has gone up to $750,000 USD now. Not sure if Trump knows his departments of foreign affairs/embassy are helping S. Americans though, haha.

I guess deploying your own guys if their in summer vacation might come with hefty costs, are the rentef hueys south American? As labour from neigbouring countries like Peru and Bolivia might be cheaper then paying Chilean pilots to work through their summer holidays. Just speculation though, like most things on the fire, huge amount of speculation left open and facebook rumour wheel and conspiracies are alive on Chileans facebooks.

Someone said why arent they catching thr guys. I did see a helicopter cam footage of two guys on horses setting off fire bombs, not sure if they caught them or where thr footage is actually from as was not on a news channel but facebook. It was plastered with Mapuche hate.
Right there, huge ammount of speculation and all the conspiracy theories and predjudices brought to light over on facebook alright, saw that same FB video of the guys on horseback, the date in the top hand corner is Feb 2016. From the view to its the Forestry corporations and powerful families here to its the Mapuche and everything in between.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:07 am

Sadly its because the official news channels are full of none stories or badly staged minor stories and not hard facts on corruption and safety. So your young educated Chileans will rely on the internet/social media if it is being more informative, eveb if truth from lie is harder to see.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 am

admin wrote:Yea t
Hey just arrested one of the conaf firefighters for starting a fire on his day off.
interesting....So the rumors were true, some fires are being intentionally set.
Living the life!