Fires

General topics related to Living in Chile
MJSaywell

Fires

Post by MJSaywell » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 pm

I know a few of you are up that way, and wasn't sure if there was a thread, but seems extremely serious up in the central valley especially the O'Higgins area, hope everyone is safe. I've been following on the internet on the radio, gave up watching bs Chilean TV and any traditional TV for that matter about a year or so ago. Know the area well from when I lived in San Fernando. Sounds like this is kind of déjà vu and only tonight are they actually asking for international help, I thought this on Wednesday night why is there not international help for a fire of this magnitude and these weather conditions ? it was pretty obvious it was going to get worse. Of course this president knows all about delayed reactions, think back to 2010 quake.

hlf2888

Re: Fires

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:42 am

There used to be an interactive map on the conaf site where you could see the exact location and size of all of the forest fires in Chile and color coordinated to show their status. Does anyone know where that interactive map site is now?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:00 am

Yea pichilum was the last i heard was under threat. Seems wine country to the coast. I see they were closing national parks in several regions.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:50 pm

I hear a lot of people saying that these fires are being intentionally set. Has anyone heard anything about this?

The theory is that the government is intentionally starting them and plans on blaming the Mapuche for starting them?

Anyone heard anything similar?

I also heard that the electrical system/company in being investigated for being the cause. Something to do with the grid not being properly maintained and acting as a catalyst for the fires.

Has anyone heard about any of these theories?
Living the life!

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Would be interested to see a map as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:25 pm

El Chupacabra wrote:I hear a lot of people saying that these fires are being intentionally set. Has anyone heard anything about this?

The theory is that the government is intentionally starting them and plans on blaming the Mapuche for starting them?

I also heard that the electrical system/company in being investigated for being the cause. Something to do with the grid not being properly maintained and acting as a catalyst for the fires.

Pleaseeee?

I watch the moron maestros in my area light a mountain (like 100 meters long by 6 meters tall) of dried pine branches, then walk away at dusk with a wind pulling down a draw at 15 to 30 km an hour. My friend that lived on the other side of the road nearly lost her house to it a couple of years ago. When confronted by the police, they just shrugged their shoulders like they did not even understand what was wrong with that.

Earlier this year, a neighbor right next to me hired some guys to clear a parcel of brush to build a house. The guys poured gas on ten piles, lit it, and then got in their cars. I called the neighbor and told him. He called the guys. They turned around and came back and put the fires out.

Last month (after everything had dried), in exchange for doing that i went out and spent a day helping him burn his brush, the correct way. Shovels and picks at the ready. Garden hoses at the ready. Extingusher at the ready. All on a totally windless day, after two months of solid rain. Most importantly someone watching the fires all day in the event they got out of hand.

So, no goverment conspiracy rquired. There are plenty of morons to do it for them. "Intentional", only needs to mean "lazy".

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Google for the sat maps of the fires in chile. There are a bunch of them. I am on my cell phone and can not do it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:38 pm

By the way, guesswho is responcible for inforcing the burn rules across the country?

Conaf (chilean forestry department).

I think i have heard of prehaps one or two fines, and that was against like farmers that burned their fields without a permit and yhe smoke closed down a highway or something.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:10 pm

admin wrote:
El Chupacabra wrote:I hear a lot of people saying that these fires are being intentionally set. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Pleaseeee?

I watch the moron maestros in my area light a mountain (like 100 meters long by 6 meters tall) of dried pine branches, then walk away at dusk with a wind pulling down a draw at 15 to 30 km an hour. My friend that lived on the other side of the road nearly lost her house to it a couple of years ago. When confronted by the police, they just shrugged their shoulders like they did not even understand what was wrong with that.

Earlier this year, a neighbor right next to me hired some guys to clear a parcel of brush to build a house. The guys poured gas on ten piles, lit it, and then got in their cars. I called the neighbor and told him. He called the guys. They turned around and came back and put the fires out.

Last month (after everything had dried), in exchange for doing that i went out and spent a day helping him burn his brush, the correct way. Shovels and picks at the ready. Garden hoses at the ready. Extingusher at the ready. All on a totally windless day, after two months of solid rain. Most importantly someone watching the fires all day in the event they got out of hand.

So, no goverment conspiracy rquired. There are plenty of morons to do it for them. "Intentional", only needs to mean "lazy".

Yeah have heard a lot of conspiracy theories too, one was it was marijuana growers (don't know why marijuana growers would want to destroy the forest where they hide their crops) but generally a kind of mass psycocis tends to set in whenever there is a disaster, crazy theories and finger pointing going on all around. I agree there are are more than enough idiots that could of started this through carelessness and generally just not appreciating their surroundings, a lot of People tend to have very little awareness of their environment. It goes from even the littlest things in life from people standing to chat in the middle of the doorway at the supermarket blocking others to others just stopping randomly in their cars in the middle of the street with no sense of any other traffic around them. Same thing also happens in the south when it floods in the winter when people treat drains and causeways for water as their own trash dumping place filling it with their trash and crap, then blame the government when culverts and drains block up flooding their back yards. Yeah dozens of possibilities of the causes but the electric lines one could be a possibility not far from me there a lines covered in Eucalyptus tree branches growing besides them, next time there is wind it will bring those lines down and people will moan the government is not fixing the problem fast enough.

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Had three or so fires here in Campo also one grass fire across the street from me here in the bio bio area. It took the fire department a while to get the hydrant open and the hoses working.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Interior of depto. received another trace covering of ash from the local fires the other day.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:25 pm

here in Talagante area we have had, late in the evening, some colourful suns, orange and pink suns that you could look directly at. From inside the house it looks like it's cloudy at first glance but actually there is just a lot of dust/smoke/particles in the air which I assume is coming from the fires miles away. There are actually no clouds at all but the sky is white instead of blue. At one stage blue overhead and white around the edges and at one stage just a white sky with no clouds.

I think the fires actually keep the mid day temperatures a few degree cooler. There was a forecast for 39 or 40C on one day, I think Friday, and it didn't quite materialize, I had a thermometer our and it was only in the low 30s, probably because of the material in the air from the fires providing a cooling effect.