Help Me Find Things Please (The Lack of Amazon)

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Help Me Find Things Please (The Lack of Amazon)

Post by Britkid » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:45 pm

I miss not having Amazon. It's really useful for those many little items which you need but where the value of the item is less than the value of your time to search around shops to find them when it's not obvious which shop will have it. In England, it takes 2 minutes to buy these kind of things. In Chile, I try 3 or 5 shops before perhaps finding it, or perhaps giving up.

Here's my current list.

1. Water filter. I mean so I can drink cleaner tap water. Probably a bottle sized device than I can pour tap water in and come back and drink later.

2. Plug in power meter. That I can plug between device and socket while a device is operating and measure the amount of kWs being drawn to that socket.

3. Magnifying glass. Can't read tiny ingredients on packets since my eye operation.

4. A headset with an ethernet cable for my landline phone so I can do business calls hands free taking notes and typing call centre style. I did find this in Santiago centre at a Casa Royale but it was about 30,000, so I didn't buy it, I only want to pay 10,000 or 15,000 for something like that.

5. Very slim shaped light bulbs, like candle type but in LED or at least energy saving version rather than incandescent/tungsten/Edison/traditional type. All the bulbs in my current rented house are inefficient incandescents and none of the places I've been to like various hardware stores have any other type for this shape of bulb. Only a really thin type will screw in to the roof since others will not physically fit.

Does anyone know where to get any of these? Not sure it's worth the hassle and extra expense of international post for little things like this. Although might try if I even knew what sites would ship such stuff straight to Chile. Products on ebay and Amazon sometimes say they ship abroad, but it always fails at the last minute when I try for Chile.

Unfortunately, I am not going back to the UK for ages.

Anyone know any places that would most likely have any of the above. I am going to Santiago on Friday and will travel along the metro from Estacion Central through to Vitactura so should pass near most of the main commercial areas in the city.

Any help much appreciated.

How does everyone else handle these kinds of little things. The kind of things I want to buy are often things Chileans don't often buy, which makes it harder.

susiedillon

Re: Help Me Find Things Please (The Lack of Amazon)

Post by susiedillon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Can only help you with the water filter. 'Easy' in our local town carried them last time I was there. Brand name " Brita", they also sell the replacement filters. Tho it might be cost-effective to bring a few filters back with you when you return from the UK. I thought they seemed kinda expensive in Chile.
The LED bulbs that I have seen are ridiculously expensive in Chile - no government sponsored-promotions to make them affordable to the average family. Wish I could bring some back with me but Canadian voltage difference makes that not possible. LED is the way to go, but only if they are affordable!!!

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Sorry, double post!

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Have you thought about looking for Amazon sellers shipping directly from China? It seems it should work; so many things are made in China before reaching an Amazon retailer. If value is under US $35.00 and sent to a Chilean PO box you probably won't have any customs issues.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Do realize that the Brita filter does not take out fluoride.

Check out Dr. Mercola website for info on why LEDs and fluorescents are bad, but to each his own as I will not be arguing this stuff.
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 pm

And I am open to bringing back small stuff in my yearly trip to the US, prepaid of course and I will ship por pagar via Tur-Bus or to agencia via Chilexpress or Correos.
Que será, será.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:39 am

You just have to look---its all available---now time and money not an issue----but it's there----true, it could be several months and a tremendous effort but it's there---the key to this is getting out and finding it because in Chile lindo, you have those contacts to find the other thing you are looking for that you have not even thought about yet-----Honestly, the long search in Chile pays off-----but you do have to talk to Chileans and find it on your own----just my perspective but it's worth it

###

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:41 am

Get one of those boxes in Miami. Buy from Amazon. Problem solved.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:43 am

"those boxes in Miami"

Will someone please be kind enough to provide the name of a recommended company? The most recent name I found with the search function is from 2012.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:44 am

Why don't you have Amazon? It's 27% tax + shipping costs, so it's not good for bulky or heavy things but I'm getting everything I want from books to electronics to my door in 5-7 days.

bobserb

Post by bobserb » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:34 am

'' Magnifying glass.'' They sell them en school supply stores for 1000 Pesos.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:43 am

Thanks for your comments, all very helpful and much appreciated. I am trying to avoid international posting because of the hassle and post is a bit trickier here in the country, but I will give it a go for a couple of the items I can't find tomorrow.

I am too busy with work today to reply to comments individually, but maybe later I can. Thanks.

I also have a bad habit of not looking up translations before I go out to the shops and so saying things like "I am looking for a small round slightly curved piece of glass for reading small letters on packets" because I don't the word for magnifying glass or whatever it is. They then look at me like I am I mad for a while until they eventually get it, and then when they say the word back to me (in this case, I think it's "lupa") I then make a mental note to remember it forever, then as I walk out of the shop realize I have forgotten it already.