Health clinic for an ultrasound scan in Santiago?

General topics related to Living in Chile
goingtravelling 2012

Health clinic for an ultrasound scan in Santiago?

Post by goingtravelling 2012 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:27 am

Hi, wasn't sure what topic to put this under so chose Living in Chile. My wife will need an ultrasound scan and consultation with a gynecologist in about four weeks time to check on the growth of a fibroid she has just been diagnosed as having. She is about to start taking some pills that will hopefully shrink it and we need the scan to make sure things are going to plan.

At about that time we will be in Santiago so we would appreciate information on suitable clinics in the city and approximate costs for something like this. Is it possible to arrive in the city and see someone quickly or should we try and contact in advance to make an appointment?

We would appreciate any advice and would be particularly keen to hear from anyone who may be going through the same process.

We are from the UK and are travelling South America, originally planning to stay until about September 2017, but this may affect our plans.

Thanks,

Brian

susiedillon

Re: Health clinic for an ultrasound scan in Santiago?

Post by susiedillon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:35 pm

I had a very good experience using Clinica Santa Maria in La Dehesa - Don't be put off by the fact it is located over a shopping mall- a very upmarket one, but nevertheless a mall. I was lucky enough to get a walk-in appointment with a Dr Buckel, who speaks English, and then went on to have a fairly major robotic surgery performed by him in the Santa Maria Clinic in Providencia. 3 years ago an appointment cost approx US$60. From my experience, this would be a great place to start. Other options would be Clinica Alemana, or Clinica Las Condes, but I have no personal experience with them.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned that Dr Buckel is Gyn/Ob.

npugh22

Post by npugh22 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:57 pm

My wife had an ultrasound about 6 months ago at Clinica Santa Maria and the price point listed by the other poster here was about the same. I think we paid a little bit more, but not much. Generally a consultation is about $40.000 and I think we paid about $80.000 for the scan. So, you're probably looking at about $120.000 (conversion charts are telling me this is about $136 British pounds). It might be more or less than this, but that seems like a reasonable price point given my experience with the Chilean health system. Probably the best clinics in Santiago, in order of most expensive to least expensive will be Alemana, Las Condes and Santa Maria. All three are top notch facilities.

Most doctors will have some decent grasp of English, assuming language is something you need to think about. That said, if you absolutely want to make sure you are working with a doctor fluent in English, Alemana has an English speaking wing.

If you don't have a RUT (national Chilean ID) number, you will need to either go in an make an appointment at the clinic or call in and schedule an appointment. Depending on who you talk to, they may try and tell you that you need to schedule an appointment online, but it's not actually possible without a RUT. They can however, schedule you an appointment in person with your passport number. Again, assuming language is an issue, these people don't normally speak English. Google translate is your friend here.

You should be able to arrive and make an appointment for a couple of days later.

Hope this helps!

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:31 am

If you have Fonasa, is that accepted as partial payment... I know it won't cover the full amount.

goingtravelling 2012

Post by goingtravelling 2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:31 am

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies, it has certainly put our minds at rest.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Perhaps I was very lucky, but in my case I simply walked in to the clinic and got an appointment straightaway. This was fully private - no insurance company or Fonasa involved. I cannot remember being asked for my passport number but I am fairly sure they checked my RUT. As I remember I had to pay up front for the appintment/consultation ( a foreign credit card was happily accepted) and within half an hour I was seen by the doctor. There was no sense of being hurried and was examined thoroughly and then sent for all the appropriate tests - also paid for in advance !!! I feel as though the treatment I received was as good or better than that which I would get in my home country - Canada. Both are excellent systems.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Perhaps advisable to enroll in a travelers health insurance before your travel? I always get me one before departing to a foreign country, you'll never know what 'll happen to you while oversea. A countryman of mine was heading to Santiago de Chile after landing. While on the way in a taxi cab, he was rammed from behind and then taken to clinica Alemana in an ambulance, then had to stay for least a few weeks. His traveler insurance paid all clinical expenses and he said that his private room was so comfy as if in a three stars hotel !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Unfortunately no travel health insurance I have ever heard of, covers pre-existing conditions - which in my case it was. But I absolutely agree with you, Hybrid, to travel without travel/medical insurance is a dangerous gamble these days. A $10 policy I bought in Korea many years ago paid for a medical evacuation flight and surgery and recouperation in an excellent Thai hospital. Money well spent!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:29 pm

susiedillon wrote:Unfortunately no travel health insurance I have ever heard of, covers pre-existing conditions - which in my case it was. But I absolutely agree with you, Hybrid, to travel without travel/medical insurance is a dangerous gamble these days. A $10 policy I bought in Korea many years ago paid for a medical evacuation flight and surgery and recouperation in an excellent Thai hospital. Money well spent!
Check out German insurance co. Allianz, they offer pre-existing condition coverage..or I have been miss-informed but. I have a chronic lower back pain condition already but suppose to cover for additional worsening of the same whilst in the foreign?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:30 pm

A $10 policy? Thinking too cheap to cover pre-existing conditions. But more like $300 backs for 2~3 weeks does the good.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Interestingly it was an Alianz policy that covered my situation in SEA ... a very long time ago ! But as for pre-existing conditions ... you may be lucky enough to find an insurance company that will cover you ....but it is usually at quite a large cost relative to the normal price.