Story of the day

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Re: Story of the day

Post by admin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:25 am

yea, one on one, or even a couple of dogs, I would stand my ground 99% of the time and that would end it. When they get in to packs, that is when they get out of control. I got chased by a pack one night years ago in Temuco. Must have been 10 or 12 dogs. The pack was jumping on to car hoods at intersections and trying to attack the drivers behind the glass.

One trick I have used that works well and really just messes with their heads, is when being charged by an aggressive dog, is stand your ground and then start sweet talking them in a gentle voice. An aggressive full charge dog, fully worked up, has a one track mind, and expects to be met with aggression by its target. You can see the confusion on their face, but it also just kind of breaks their concentration and train of thought to the point they don't really know how to continue on with their charge.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:29 pm

I haven't found the nice talking to work very well, though I've tried it too, but have had success with a drill sargent yell combined with a raised hand, usually with a rock - and they seem to almost recognize the raising of the arm to throw a stone and are conditioned to pause and pull back, waiting for the blow to come. IMHO it's probably a bit of conditioning and rock throwing at dogs - it's not all that uncommon on downtown streets.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:45 pm

The mere motion of going for a rock or stick (club), will usually do the trick. Though for dogs you will encounter again, actually nailing them is even better.
Last year a pack was developing on my bike route into town. As it grew, ignoring them ceased to work. It ended by letting them have it with the air riffle and pistol.
I love dogs, have four, all spayed, but have no love for them, bravo, or in packs. And I like to ride with my kids. A dog that has been tagged with a pellet or BB will rarely bother you again. They will also stop excessively barking, if your neighboor has failed to train them. Descretion obviously required.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

passport

Post by passport » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:14 pm

How about pepper spray?

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Cities breed anger and frustration, in people and dogs. City life inspires craziness... read The Naked Ape. That is why I live in the country.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:00 am

IMHO Desmond Morris is an insightful author.

On a related note, the Huffington Post (Hillary bias ever-present in their articles noted) took your argument a step further this morning, with Jane Goodall comparing Trump to "Mike," a chimp she studied on verbal/nonverbal displays of aggression and associated correlation to rise in social rank:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tru ... 2?section=&&

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:35 am

Hilary is the same but much more subtle. They are both corporate puppets, different character traits to give us the illusion of choice. The corporations are not about to relinquish control of any country they own.

sqcpcg

Post by sqcpcg » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:47 pm

admin wrote: On the bright side, those dogs create the fear and reputation that makes my two medium size, and not terribly agresive, dogs effective at terrifying all the ladrones just by waging their tails at them so they move on to the next house or next car without a dog to rob.
Just out of curiosity, when ladrones want to hit your abode, do they simply throw a chunk of poisoned meat over the fence
and then come back later??

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:20 am

passport wrote:How about pepper spray?
A friend of mine was a bail bondsman, kicking doors etc recapturing bail jumpers in the San Diego area. He got charged by a pit bull one night and had enough time to select his OC spray and hit the dog squarely in the face. Things got noisy after that, so they moved on without molesting the target. A few nights later they went back. The dog recognised them and ran in terror. :lol:
Personally I favor a pocket clip Benchmade knife, not too big but shaving sharp. In my truck I carry Alaska guard grizzly spray, but good luck finding that in chile. EEUU, let me know if you need an upgrade....
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:04 am

sqcpcg wrote:
admin wrote: On the bright side, those dogs create the fear and reputation that makes my two medium size, and not terribly agresive, dogs effective at terrifying all the ladrones just by waging their tails at them so they move on to the next house or next car without a dog to rob.
Just out of curiosity, when ladrones want to hit your abode, do they simply throw a chunk of poisoned meat over the fence
and then come back later??
no, that involves too much advance planning. Anyone in Chile that can do that much advance planning, they make them CEO of some company. Then they can legally rob you.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:16 pm

patto

Post by patto » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Britkid wrote:A lot of the cases of dog aggression I've faced have been here in Chile, but I can't think of any cases of human aggression here, that was mostly in the UK.

In Chile there is more aggression when people are safely shut up in their cars, but less face to face.

This