Story of the day

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Story of the day

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:55 am

So I get up uncharacteristically early so I can beat the crowds to the weekly feria as this is Fiestas Patrias weekend to buy feria tomatoes (expensive because of the recent seasons weather patterns) which are far superior than the pretty looking but tasteless even more expensive supermarket crap and experienced the intensest fight or flight adrenaline surge since my experience with the LAN jet pulling up at full thrust at the last second in dense fog abandoning the landing at Bucaramanga airport Colombia a couple of years back.

While walking to the feria, a lady who had arrived at her house in a vehicle had opened the gate so she could get enter her garage. In that front yard were two poodle type yappers and an old, one of those German Shepard like offshoots but much furrier, guard dog types. The bad ass doggie stayed in the yard while the two yappers exited the yard and did two innocent bluff runs to try to scare the stranger walking on the other side of the street. I ignored them and continued past that house as they were just obviously just your average bark and no bite type owned house doggies. I was two houses further down when I heard angry barking and the patter of multiple paws running at full speed on the pavement. Knowing that if I began running it could entice an attack, I stopped and turned to face the doggies directly and to my heart stopping horror saw all three charging me with teeth bared. I especially remember the big one as it was this huge, dark, fast moving, blurry, fur ball with a white circle of teeth coming directly at me. At that moment I accepted the possible fate that I would be a dog attack victim spending Fiestas Patrias in less than optimum circumstances. As I braced for the attack and prepared to defend myself the dogs suddenly stopped five feet away from me and returned to their house still barking nasty epitaphs at me. Don't know if it was because the owner might have yelled at them at that moment and/or because I did not run and turned to face them showing as little fear as possible but the attack thankfully did not happen. I stood there staring down the situation with the lady and her dogs and only then realized I had stuck my hand in my pocket and was grasping my pocket knife in an instinctive move for eventual defense. I finally turned and resumed my walk. On arrival to the feria, the aftereffects of the adrenaline rush hit me and I realized just how close I came to serious injury and trauma and how it could have ended differently if my dog-fearful wife, stepdaughters or nietos were with me and had panicked. Bought my tomatoes in a daze and returned back to the condo, collapsed for 15 minutes on the sofa staring into space, took a shot of whiskey and am now fully recovered. :)
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

bobserb

Re: Story of the day

Post by bobserb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:18 pm

I walk a lot and was attacked few times by 3,5,11 ...dogs . .I walk with light but firm titanium stick ,that saved me each time.The trick is to hit strongly the pack lider,the dog nearest to you.Probably this rule don't apply with pitbulls.More than 100 people each day get bit by the dogs in Chile.
http://www.tenenciaresponsable.cl/noved ... .php?id=91

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:07 pm

According to the local Prefecto de Carabineros in La Serena, in these situations the best course is not to resist the attack:
Incredible. That statement begs the sort of questions that would take all day to answer.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:57 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I stopped and turned to face the doggies directly
Once was attacked by a pack of 3, and this tactic was of little help. Was bitten, as the dogs approached from different sides. Was bitten just by one, but seriously enough. About a year ago, on the promenade, near the Baron metro station.

About 2 months ago was bitten again, by a former stray, who was "adopted" by a household in the neighborhood (means, they feed it -- and it feels like it must perform the duty).

People started to build here dog-houses in bulk as of recently, for such "partly-strays", next to their houses.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:15 pm

Dogs, being territorial, own and guard their own zone but instinctually also guard the DMZ beyond it----the border or line being at their own discretion---I'd say you were five feet over what they considered their DMZ line so they returned having done their duty.

###

GringoVikingo

Post by GringoVikingo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Get an African Sjambok, one hit and the dog will run when they see you
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:15 pm

bobserb, a walking stick now sounds like a good idea but not really my style or persona and I do walk a lot here.

Rune, did you seek medical care after the bites? And if so, was it a consultorio, public hospital, private facility? Are you signed up with FONASA? And what was your opinion of the medical care received?

DB, could be, still scratching my head why the attack stopped when the bad ass doggie obviously wanted a taste of ethnic gringo.

GringoVikingo, I like the Sjambok but that would probably draw the attention of the pacos and perhaps ruin my chances at citizenship :P

- Søren Kierkegaard

serebella

Post by serebella » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:17 pm

And the owner apologised profusely I presume?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:25 pm

serebella wrote:And the owner apologised profusely I presume?
Nope, just stared back at me. Was too far away to see facial expressions and such and she was like me wearing shades. I know better than to escalate things gringo-style here and just moved on after our staring match (always best to keep them wondering about your true feelings and intentions). When I returned, the car was in the garage, the gates secured but no doggies in the front so she must of moved them to the back or inside the house but they are typically in the front as this was not the first time I passed by.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Best solution to agresive dogs, is get an even bigger more agressive dog. You can hire one in any street corner for the day for little extra bread.

On the bright side, those dogs create the fear and reputation that makes my two medium size, and not terribly agresive, dogs effective at terrifying all the ladrones just by waging their tails at them so they move on to the next house or next car without a dog to rob.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:00 pm

My theory is that by standing your ground you called their bluff.

Most animals do not really want to fight.

I always stand my ground or even run at the dogs. 8 or 9 times out of 10 you'll be OK. Sometimes I've just stopped in my tracks and stared at them and that shut them up.

Admittedly I've never had a situation as bad as yours. The worst one I had was a dog charging me and I actually lifted up my whole leg and was about to kick it in the head (perhaps more of a block kick) when it also pulled out at the last minute.

It's the same with humans, after all we are just another animal. Aggressive human (assuming it's a a 1 to 1 situation and they are not much larger than you), if they are threatening to hit you, don't back down at all. Call them on it. Not aggressively, but just politely refuse to do it what they want until they give you the inevitable "I'll let you off since you're with your wife/kids" or "I'll let you off this time, but next time it will be different" or "you're not worth it" or whatever other BS excuse they make for backing down. I've never been hit yet. 8 or 9 times out of 10 you'll be fine.

Of course the 10th time is when you get rabies or knifed, so there is always that.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:03 pm

A lot of the cases of dog aggression I've faced have been here in Chile, but I can't think of any cases of human aggression here, that was mostly in the UK.

In Chile there is more aggression when people are safely shut up in their cars, but less face to face.