September 18th reminder

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

September 18th reminder

Post by admin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:08 am

Time to start the yearly reminder that the country will be shut down for the September 18th holiday, but expect most of the month of September to be lost.

Expect everyone to start going on vacation, at least in their heads, about a week before. They will be back to work the week after, and still on vacation for about another week. That typically results in everyone being a couple weeks behind in their work, so things don't start getting back to normal until around October 1st.

The reason I post this warning every year, and it has already sort of started, is inevitably for some reason a bunch of gringos drop in to the country unannounced in September and expect us to work some sort of miracle along the lines of closing some ultra fast property deal, fix some immigration mess, start a business that requires the approval of a bunch of government offices, or tilt at some other major bureaucratic windmill.

Best to plan on doing some networking over an asado in September. At least everyone will generally be in a good mood.

Oh, and happy 18th, just in case I forget during the actual holiday.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

katml412

Re: September 18th reminder

Post by katml412 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks for posting this. I'm aware of the holiday, but tend to forget about everything closing on holidays around here. Plus, it's our first September 18th in Chile. :)

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:46 pm

If you need to do some food/drink shopping, do it soon. The shelves get cleared before the 18th by people either going away for the holiday or those fearing they might starve over the holiday.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:55 am

Bump, because September is still September in Chile.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 pm

A four day extravaganza this year.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 am

Already getting thirsty for chicha granel, terremotos, chupilca, etc.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Bump.

The country is prety much closed this friday.

If you have some strange last moment super crisis, we might be able to solve it still; but, be aware it is going to cost you big, because it is going to cost us big to burn favors and political capital to solve it (there is one or two every year).

Everyone else, find your nearest asado and pisco sour and hunker down until the end of the month.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:20 pm

By crisis i mean something like you are in police custody, and you are not being offered an asado and pisco sour in your cell. Getting you out of jail will probably be impossible.

Or, 'i am closing a once in a lifetime multi-million to billion dollar investment deal, and it has to happen durring the holiday at any price'.

Not, 'I cant figure out how to open a bank account on a tourist visa' or whatever silly thing that can wait until never.

I want to be clear this year about what i mean. There is always someone that thinks they are special, without an especialy large wallet. They want us to solve the impossible, for $200 u.s. or some other silly rate, just because we are a law firm south of new york.

Basically if you are calling us with less than a budget of $100,000 US type problem, we cant help you. Even then, it still will probably not be fixed until after the 18th, in spite if our best efforts. We will give it a go however, but i mean we will need a $100, 000 u.s. cleared deposit for a retainer.

I have to bother a whole lot of people, both very important and not so important, on vacation, and make them happy about it (most importantly me and my wife). It cost money to do that.

So save your money, unless you have no other option.

Most run of the mill problems, i will have to charge you tens of thousands of dollars to perhaps solve over the next week or two (if you are lucky), we can do for 1% to 10% the rest of the year. Perhaps even less. So make sure you have a problem of that level.

If you got a problem for later in the month or beyond to solve ( e.g. buying a property, applying for residency, etc), please send us an email now, and we will get to it as soon as the country gets over the holiday hangover. Typicaly late september everything starts working again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Basically, i have not been able to find a qualified and licensed magician to work for us. I have been looking for years.

If i do, i will still chage absurd amounts of money for bothering them durring the 18th holiday.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:41 pm

admin wrote:(...)there is one or two every year
Kind of curious on this point: do you mean there is someone looking for help with minor matters every year during this period? Or do you mean there's something large that always appears?

Care to share an example? It's my first 18th at Chile and even then it is quite clear to me nothing will be done during this period.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
admin wrote:(...)there is one or two every year
Kind of curious on this point: do you mean there is someone looking for help with minor matters every year during this period? Or do you mean there's something large that always appears?

Care to share an example? It's my first 18th at Chile and even then it is quite clear to me nothing will be done during this period.
That list of crazy examples after 10+ years is pretty long. Let me think about some of the more fun ones and get back to you.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:51 pm

admin, 10 + years, you have done well, have persevered the dry and hungry years, the easier one the juicier ones will be knocking on your door, Kudos to you !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.