what is the level of relations between men and women?

General topics related to Living in Chile
jalundberg

Re: what is the level of relations between men and women?

Post by jalundberg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding how that response came out of the preceding discussion...

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Knee-jerk feminist response to having only partially read posts. Those who wish to be offended will be.

John Hyre

tonyakaserg

Post by tonyakaserg » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:58 am

hmmm interesting discussion..

men will always be 'sexist' and women will always think we're 'sexist'.. its just the way things are.. i dont think its a cultural thing.. i think its why we're so different..
for example.. do men look at women?.. yes they do.. everywhere.. its how we are wired.. now perhaps men in Australia or the US or Canada dont react the same way as men here but they STILL do it.. are Chileans worse cos they are obvious?.. maybe thats just a matter of perception.. having said that I dont think my wife would think its ok i look at women just cos i'm not obvious about it.. i think she would still have a problem with it.. and she does when i tell her that i do.. (perhaps being honest doesnt pay)

which leads me to this point.. why women wanna be treated as equals?.. i mean how do men treat each other?.. how do men speak to each other?.. i dunno if women really understand this.. like i dont think my wife would like it very much if i treated her they way i treat my mates.. dont get me wrong.. its not like i treat my mates badly.. i just treat em like guys.. no tip toeing cos their feelings may get hurt.. brutal honesty.. i know for sure that my wife doesnt handle brutal honesty very well..

what is equality.. is it in JUST some areas? (which wouldnt make it EQUAL)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:28 am

yea, everyone needs to stay focused on the subject at hand. Men and women in Chile. Solving the larger global issue is bit outside the scope of this forum.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

comegalletas

Post by comegalletas » Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

By the way, I've always wanted to know something that I never asked before but have always been curious about. Do foreign women get shocked or something by the way we chileans greet others (cheek kissing and stuff)?. A girl I know from Taiwan just couldn't stand it coming from other guys, she found it too cheeky (is that the correct word?, i mean 'fresco') but it was OK to her if it was from another girl... and that's the only opinion I have so far.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 17, 2008 2:05 am

To be honest, the kiss thing freaks most other cultures out. It is far too intimate for a lot of cultures, especially between men and women. If I did that to women in an office in the United States, the police would be called (seriously, I could be arrested for assault), I would be fired, and that would all be followed up with a sexual harassment case that would more or less bankrupt me even if I won. That is all assuming the police got there sufficiently fast to save my life from the angry mob that was kicking and stoning me to death. Personal contact between coworkers in the United States of any sort is a very very serious issue.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MarkF

Post by MarkF » Sat May 17, 2008 2:09 am

admin wrote:To be honest, the kiss thing freaks most other cultures out.
I agree. When I met my young nephews (by marriage), after the first kiss thing I would extend my hand (thinking "none of that stuff, mister.").

Mark
There are 10 different kinds of people in the world. There are those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tombrad2

Post by tombrad2 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:16 am

well "when in Rome..." here in Chile to avoid "the kiss thing" may be considered rude, unpolite, even aggressive.
Diferent countries, diverse customs.
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/

comegalletas

Post by comegalletas » Sat May 17, 2008 2:37 am

The only time in my life when I cheek kissed a foreign girl as a greeting, without knowing about the possible culture-shock thing was about 2 years ago with an exchange student from Finland, she was a bit surprised but fortunately was OK with it. She was already in Chile anyway, but that made me quickly remember that such things aren't done in other western nations (unless we're talking about the rest of Latin America, Spain or Italy... and maybe parts from the US where there are lots of hispanics).

A classmate who was in California as an exchange student also realised about things like that. A rather curious thing was that having friends from college was a no-no or something like that from what I remember. When she told that I remembered that I had a conversation with a friend from Ohio, who was quite surprised when I told her that my friends here were 17-24 years old.

tonyakaserg

Post by tonyakaserg » Sat May 17, 2008 3:10 am

this is something that caught me by surprise the first time i came to this fine country of kiss greeters.. i was being introduced to a group of girls and they ALL expected a kiss.. i was like..HELLO.. AWKWARD!!.. i had to quickly explain that we didn't greet with a kiss but just a handshake.. i was told we were COLD.. haha.. this made my meeting new people (girls) something to be dreaded as i was definitely not used to greeting with a kiss.. i found it hard enough hugging my female friends.. there was something about my up bringing that made anything physical feel awkward to me.. i was a handshake or hi-five kinda greeter..
Happy to report that i have been HEALED.. Thanks to my wife.. :oops: :roll: :oops:

RWS

Post by RWS » Sat May 17, 2008 10:17 am

Reactions depend as much upon attitude as upon upbringing -- and the first need not depend upon the second. I've no problem with kiss-greeting, even though I'm as American as one can get, I think. True, such greeting is not traditionally American (despite a growing section of the society which incorporates kiss-greeting as chic -- and your use of "cheeky" is correct, TK, even if amusing in context); but neither is a woman shaking hands, despite its widespread use nowadays.

Give it another few decades, and most Americans may kiss-greet each other without selfconsciousness.

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:45 am

~
so - how about this for a dead-thread-bump - its been languishing for 4 years...!
but we wanted to put this article - somewhere...??
here ya go --- perhaps it may elicit a few opines on the current m~f status quo...?
:|
Femicide on the rise in Chile...

Rates of femicide increased 30.7 percent in first half of 2012.

The number of women being killed by their husbands and other domestic violence complaints are on the rise in Chile, according to a new study by Universidad Pedro de Valdivia and women’s rights organization Activa.

So far in 2012, there have been 17 recorded “femicides,” or women murdered by their husband or partner, in comparison with 13 in the first half of 2011, showing an overall increase of nearly 31 percent. There were 40 total cases of femicide in 2011 and 49 in 2010, illustrating a downward trend overall.

“The situation is even more severe given the high rate of uncertainty in crimes of this type," Activa Director Gloria Requena said. "We need to add to this number the crimes that go unregistered and should be classified as femicide but are ultimately punished as other crimes like homicide.”

The government’s National Women’s Service (Sernam) had been holding publicity campaigns to encourage victims to report incidents. It also established a protection network of assistance centers.

Activa asserts that more is needed to reduce these numbers, calling for changes to the current laws regarding domestic violence and improvements to the definition of “femicide” and “habitual relationship.” At present, murders committed early in a relationship or after casual encounters do not fall under either category and are thus charged as homicides. Femicide is punishable by the harshest murder sentence possible in Chile (15 to 40 years’ imprisonment).

The study also suggests improving government treatment programs, providing more victim shelters and considering legal penalties for those who witness abuse and do not report it.
http://www.santiagotimes.cl/national/hu ... study-says
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa