iHerb shipping

General topics related to Living in Chile
katml412

Re: iHerb shipping

Post by katml412 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:22 pm

mlightheart wrote:
katml412 wrote:My order came today. So, it took almost 2 months, but it came!
Good for you! :)

Just noticed this thread. But like some of the others, I too have placed a number of orders from iHerb. And all of them have been the cheap shipping.

I think I only lost one package. I try to keep the cost to around $80 per shipment and under 4lbs. I think I only had to do paperwork twice on all my orders. Have been quite a few.

The time for a shipment to reach you can vary. From 2 weeks to 2 months or more.
Do you have to pay customs on a shipment that's $80? I kept my order down to under $30, just to be extra cautious.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:04 am

No I haven't. Trigger point seems to be over $100. YMMV.

katml412

Post by katml412 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:09 pm

mlightheart wrote:No I haven't. Trigger point seems to be over $100. YMMV.
Oh, that's good to know! Thanks!!

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:59 pm

The limit is about $30 but Amazon and courier services are much more strict about it. Amazon charges the tax right on checkout.

Correos just don't care as far as I understand. So USPS or AirMail are mostly tax free.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Space Cat wrote:The limit is about $30 but Amazon and courier services are much more strict about it. Amazon charges the tax right on checkout.

Correos just don't care as far as I understand. So USPS or AirMail are mostly tax free.
Actually Correos will charge you if they are having a slow day. :)

katml412

Post by katml412 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Question: Is it ever worth it to select DHL shipping on iHerb?

Right now I have a cart of products that's over $40 (under 4 lbs), so it's offering me $8 shipping through DHL. It's estimating arrival within a week if I choose that option.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:54 pm

katml412 wrote:Question: Is it ever worth it to select DHL shipping on iHerb?

Right now I have a cart of products that's over $40 (under 4 lbs), so it's offering me $8 shipping through DHL. It's estimating arrival within a week if I choose that option.
No, don't do this! xD

After dozens of packages with food, supplements and cosmetics sent via regular post (Correos), we saw a similar low price for the DHL option and were like "wow, a week instead of 2 months!"

It ended up stuck at the customs because you need a "doctor's recipe" for Vitamin D3 and caffeine. We're going to send it back and resend with Correos.

Correos are slow and a bit risky (though we've never missed a package) but anything will get through them without additional taxes and declarations.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Space Cat wrote:
katml412 wrote:Question: Is it ever worth it to select DHL shipping on iHerb?

No, don't do this! xD

After dozens of packages with food, supplements and cosmetics sent via regular post (Correos), we saw a similar low price for the DHL option and were like "wow, a week instead of 2 months!"

It ended up stuck at the customs because you need a "doctor's recipe" for Vitamin D3 and caffeine. We're going to send it back and resend with Correos.

Correos are slow and a bit risky (though we've never missed a package) but anything will get through them without additional taxes and declarations.

Yeah Space Cat is correct. If you send an order via DHL Express or UPS, then you will most likely need a Dr's note to clear it. But you will first have to fill out a request online at ISP. http://up.ispch.gob.cl/ DHL will not clear this for you. You have to do it.

What will happen is this, DHL will send you an email (or call you) to notify that you need to clear items on your shipment with ISP. See following message in blue at the end of this post. Reading the message you will then have to create an account at ISP (if you haven't already). You will choose one of three categories depending on which category your item is in. They are pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and health care related devices/products. You will fill out the form. But you must have that mentioned "doctor's recipe" at the same time which you will attach to your request. This process is going to cost you around 8000 pesos. I forget the exact amount right now. Plus whatever your dr is going to charge you.

Then ISP will process your request. It will be in a pending state while they review the information you gave them. Then when it is approved, ISP will let you know and give you an approval form that you will give to DHL. Not sure what happens if a request is not approved, if there is a process to resubmit another request.

The downside to the process is the paperwork involved. But the upside is that you will get your items fast. If you really need it and can not wait, then it might be the way to go. If you go with Global Post (which is free now), it can take from 2 months to 4 months (or more) to get your items. Basically with Global Post shipping DHL puts the package into the Correos system. Then it eventually gets to you. Also you can ship it to a Casilla using the Global Post method. I have used Global Post on all of my iHerb orders. My friend has used the DHL express a few times in addition to Global Post method.

According to my friend, DHL will destroy things like vitamins and such. They won't send them back.

If you happen to order something from Amazon that is sent DHL and if one of your items in your shipment is flagged as needing to be cleared with ISP since it falls into one of the three categories, then your whole order will be held. Well since it is in the same box, you can understand that. You will need to follow the same procedure. Items in the cosmetics will not need a Dr's attention, you will just list it as personal use. Not 100% sure about items in the health care related devices/products category, if they would need a Dr's note. I don't think so, but hard to say.

The same procedure will probably apply to UPS shipments.
Estimado cliente,

Comunicamos que tenemos un envío a su nombre bajo la guía aérea N° xxxxxxxxxx (my note here: this will be your waybill number)

. Para continuar con la liberación se requiere la certificación de Instituto de Salud Pública (ISP) debido al contenido del envío.

Por normativa del Ministerio de salud las empresas Courier no están autorizadas para realizar este tipo de trámite. Favor confirmar la opción elegida de tramitación según las opciones disponibles para liberar su envío:

1.- Tramitar electrónicamente el Certificado de Destinación Aduanera CDA:

Crear usuario: ingrese a http://up.ispch.gob.cl/ y cree su usuario. Tenga presente que el usuario puede actuar como paciente o mandatario (persona vinculada a una empresa).

Completar formulario:

1. Inicio sesión ingresando su usuario y clave en el sitio http://up.ispch.gob.cl/ .
2. Seleccione el tipo de solicitud que desea realizar (farmacéuticos, cosméticos o dispositivos)
3. Complete el formulario correspondiente a la naturaleza de su producto con los datos solicitados.

Pago: Realizar pago utilizando las siguientes alternativas:

1. Pago presencial o diferido en cajas del Instituto de Salud Pública, Av. Maratón 1000, Ñuñoa, Santiago.
Requisito: es obligatorio generar comprobante para pago en caja del ISP
2. Pago mediante transferencia.
Requisito: es obligatorio adjunta el Boucher del pago.

Revisión de solicitud: el Instituto de Salud Pública revisará la solicitud enviada y sancionará mediante autorización o rechazo según sea el caso.

Notificacion: el Instituto de Salud Pública enviará el estado del trámite al correo electrónico y se dispondrá la resolución en su módulo electrónico. Cuando obtenga la resolución deberá enviar vía correo electrónico a su notificador.

2.- Tramitar personalmente el Certificado de Destinación Aduanera CDA:

Con documentación adjunta, diríjase al ISP, ubicado en Av. Marathon 1000 Ñuñoa, de lunes a viernes desde las 08:30 hasta las 13:00 hrs. Teléfonos ISP: 25755201 / 25755284.
Si su encomienda es de uso farmacéutico, requerirá llevar al ISP la receta médica emitida en Chile.
Si es un tercero quien realiza el trámite ante ISP, deberá llevar un poder notarial autorizando la tramitación respectiva.
Una vez aprobado el CDA, por favor enviar vía correo certificado a la dirección Complejo Aduanero Courier, Puerta 1, Bodega Sur, Osvaldo Croquevielle 2207 del Aeropuerto Arturo Merino Benítez a nombre de su notificador, de esta manera DHL Express realizará la tramitación ante Aduana.

3.- Realizar completamente el trámite Certificado de Destinación Aduanera CDA, a través de Agencia de Aduana.

Entregar documentos adjuntos a la Agencia de Aduana contratada directamente por usted.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:54 pm
Not always. They do random checks. My last Vape liquid purchase ended up going back to China because it contained Nicotine.
Its classified as a medicament and needs the ISP paperwork mentioned, which costs around CLP $8.000.
I had successfully received at least 5 similar purchases before that one, so ymmv.

Thought that was worth mentioning despite that last somewhat dodgy post.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:45 pm

Does anybody know a place to get a vitamin recipe online? I found RedSalud's telemedicine but it's CL $18,000 which is expensive compared to the total order price.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 pm

I used iherb successfully for a while to get things including iodine, or vitamin B12. Those were the two things I used to order mainly.

Until one day (perhaps 2017 or early 2018) I got a call from the customs in Chile saying you have to come to the airport to clear something through. Can't remember what was different that time. I told them it wasn't worth my time to come to the airport, I'd rather that they throw it away. After that I never ordered anything from iherb.

Later in 2018 I went to USA and I ordered a large shipment of everything I needed to a hotel in the US, that was fine. I just ordered it a few days before I was due to arrive at a hotel and stay there a week. Brought it back to Chile and still haven't run out yet.