Piece Index, Chile #1 in Latin America, #2 in the Americas, #27 World

General topics related to Living in Chile
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Piece Index, Chile #1 in Latin America, #2 in the Americas, #27 World

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:32 pm

My worrywart chilena wife always freaks out when I go out to do my daily routine and chores (Santiago projection), but then she turns on the TV and sees the stuff that happens in the US...

As a previous poster, I also live in the SA area. It really depends on the section of town you live in and the places you walk through daily. The San Antonio proper (generally) and the Barrancas sections, I would not live there or venture much on foot after dark.

I read the local paper daily and always mark in my head where "incidents" occur as I know one seemingly disparate but reported event can be a reflection of more stuff going on in that locale that doesn't get officially reported to the authorities.

Another thing that helps is if your face is known by the locals (as a local resident NOT as a business owner-$$$ or such). This will mainly keep the local criminal element from messing with you but not the overly mentally impaired or Santiago-origin violent scumsters.

5 years in Santiago - one attempted pickpocket on the Metro
10 years on the coast - no incidents not even a break-in while out (why I only live in access-controlled condo)
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:30 pm

yea, acutely where I live in the last few years my perception is that there has been a decrease in crime. Couple of years ago we were having a pretty steady stream of house robberies in the area and so on. They replaced the head of the local carbinerios, and all that has dropped. There is still crime, just seems more contained.

You live in a city of 5+ million people, there is going to be crime. Chileans also like to take every crime they see on TV, and flip out about it as if it happened to them personally.

Still, the United States is the only country in the World where I have seen shootings in broad daylight, or turned a corner and stumbled in to murder scene complete with two dead gang banger. Had multiple serial killers and or mass murders, in your neighborhood, at the same time, competing for press time. Hell, the last time I was living in Las Vegas there were so many murders, the murders were using each others crimes to try and cover up their own murders. Someone murdered someone, cut them up, stuffed them in suitcase, and dropped the suit case a couple blocks from where I was living, in an attempt to make it look like the local serial killer of the week that was going around.

Then we got Latin America. Brazil last year had more murders than Syria. I am sure Olympics will be very safe and secure. Venezuela, well no one can even keep count. Most of Latin America is a no go zone, at any time of the day or night.

So, in spite of the best efforts of Chileans to freak out about their crime, they really don't have that much crime relative to most of the Americas.

The same rules apply to urban living in Chile as apply anywhere. The fact that people are even discussing if they would walk around at night in this neighborhood or that neighborhood, shows that it is possible to walk around at night in most of Chile alone and even a lot of Santiago without too much concern. You see plenty of women walking around alone, in a lot of Santiago, quite late at night.

Be aware of what is going on around you. Don't let yourself get isolated. Don't put yourself somewhere, where you even have to ask that question about is it safe.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 pm

FWIW - nonviolent crime. Perhaps something to laugh at.

Late 2015 trip to Pto. Natales from Punta Arenas, family member left tablet (from US) in back seat pocket, discovered missing 15 minutes later, back at bus depot 5 minutes later, and since we were the last off and the bus was still there no problem, right? Wrong. The bus attendant took it - on camera. Where's the bus attendant? Just left on a bus to Pta. Arenas, but we'll call the Carabineros. 5 minutes later they are watching the video. Plain.As.Day. Ok, we'll call it into Pta. Arenas. Which bus is he on? Ok. (takes a couple hours IIRC to arrive to P.A.)

Surprise. Carbineros don't meet him at the bus arrival several hours later, but the head of the terminal meets him at the bus door and asks for it back. What tablet? The supervisor doesn't want to cause a scene and mentions he should wait. He doesn't.

Meanwhile, back in Pto. Natales where our family name is an old one, people know people who know the roommate of the bus attendant in question, and are glad to help. Yup, his roommate just called. Playing with it in his apartment. Yes, we told him they actually live in Chile - he's on camera, and they are pressing charges. No, he's not sure about returning it. He doubts the Carabineros will take it seriously, and he doesn't want to work for the bus anyways. Yes, here's the address. (Address relayed to Carabineros on case, total time elapsed, 3-4 hours). Sure the Carabineros will pay him a visit. They don't.

Fast forward a couple days. Beautiful Torres de Paine wasn't hidden, food was great, fun had by all. Back in Pta. Arenas - time to follow up. Supervisor of bus station, so terribly sorry sir and madam (story), and here is his RUT, copy of ID, address, etc. Thank you kind sir. (Information relayed to case officer, now in Pta Arenas, but the crime was in Pto Natales, so there is some confusion sir). Glad to help. We're off to home in Pto. Montt. Oh, that makes it even more complicated.

Days, weeks, and months later. Yes, they dropped by the address. No, he was not home. Yes, there is an outstanding warrant for his detention. Sorry we couldn't be more of service, but isn't it handy you can now follow the case online from the comfort of your own home?

Sure, this could happen anywhere, but it does seem a bit like a bad episode of Fawlty Towers.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:10 pm

All parts of Santiago are dangerous, over the last 5 years I've been here there has been deaths and armed robbery of vehicles in all communities, but there is liturally near to no road policing in Santiago, its horrific, chaotic and this allows criminals easy movement. The UK made the connection of road policing and.serious and organised crime prevention only after cutting road policing 15 years back. Now they use armed police and crack squads in cities to provide additional road policing and automatic cameras to ping known criminal car movements.

However crimes like bag snatch and assualt have decreased in Santiago Centro dramaticaly during day tome, however on quieter streets and at night still very dangerous. Lots of violent robberies of persons.

Then then you got the odd anarchist/terrorist groups who make rubbish bombs every year but usually don't work and occasionally attack out like the attack on the PDI station in afluent Providencia last year. Really don't understand why they exsist, angry at the low level corruption and equality perhaps. Perhaps they just hate Daddy. Who knows.

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:13 pm

And maybe how much of that was because it was Florida? Never been there myself, but a high school friend did his Mormon mission thing there, and said that if you were going to give the U.S. an enema, Miami is where you'd stick the hose. That was 40 years ago. ..
Bummer about the flu. Can't drink the water anywhere these days.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:33 am

papageno wrote:And maybe how much of that was because it was Florida? Never been there myself, but a high school friend did his Mormon mission thing there, and said that if you were going to give the U.S. an enema, Miami is where you'd stick the hose. That was 40 years ago. ..
Bummer about the flu. Can't drink the water anywhere these days.
yea, I just had some business come up that might involve another trip back to Florida, and I just told my wife "no frigen way". I worked out a way to do it somewhere else in the U.S., if I have to go. I am not spending another second in that third-world country than absolutely required, even if it costs me a bit more money to fly somewhere else. The states is really low down on my list of places to travel to at all, but there are way nicer places.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Have a look at the stats:
http://www.latercera.com/noticia/nacion ... -por.shtml

Fewer victims, but higher degree of fear of being robbed. I have been living in Chile for a while - first time in 2004 - and I still feel very safe. I do not see a huge increase in actual crime, but I have noticed an extreme increase in media coverage of crime. Furthermore, the fact that everybody can record robberies with their phones, makes it all seem more real and provides great stories for media. Thirdly, the fact that today most neighbourhoods have a Whatsapp account / Facebook group where stories are shared about robberies gives people the impression that there are more robberies than before. But before, you just didn't know when somebody was robbed in your neighboorhood...

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Even the crocodiles murder in Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... el-florida

papageno

Post by papageno » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 pm

Nope. It's just that some people forget that you don't have to go to the lands of lions and tigers for humans to not be at the top of the food chain. Shame and all, but true.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Wild animal feasting in human parts. But human feasting in eating dogs!

China Dog/Cat Eating Festival.

BEIJING (AP) — Animal rights activists are seeking to shut down an annual summer dog meat festival in southern China blamed for blackening the country's international reputation as well as fueling extreme cruelty to canines and unhygienic food handling practices.

Activists from a coalition of groups said Monday that they will continue press for the festival to be banned as well as legislation outlawing the slaughtering of dogs and cats and the consumption of their meat.

While an estimated 10-20 million dogs are killed for their meat each year in China, the June 20 event in the city of Yulin has come to symbolize the cruelty and lack of hygiene associated with the largely unregulated industry.

Yu Hongmei, director of the VShine Animal Protection Association, said China needs to follow the example of the vast majority of developed nations that have banned eating dog and cat.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... -its-cruel
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Andres

Post by Andres » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Sounds pretty arrogant to me.
Hindus are courteous enough not to force the rest of us to cease eating cows, which they consider holy.
Conservative muslims, jews and seventh day adventists are courteous enough to insist the rest of us cease eating pork and other haram/treif foods.

How is it morally justified to tell others they can not eat dogs and cats?
And how is that relevant to the "peacefulness" of a country?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:06 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:Even the crocodiles murder in Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... el-florida
yea, I just crossed that very lake, with two small children, while on our last trip to Florida.

There was a nice article however, that I can not find now, about the most dangerous animals in the United States. Gators were way down on the list, and most encounters are bites.

Drum roll please.

Bees. Bees kill more Americans every year than any other animal. Most are allergic reactions I would bet, but there have also been some killer bee swarms in recent years.

Second runner up was cows. Mostly related to people working in enclosed spaces with animals that can crush a human, or being charged by a very large animal.