Daylight Saving Time

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by admin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:55 am

i am sure their will be a brisk biz in hacking "smart meters". someone was able to put the computer code in to the box, there is a way to change it.

the frigen electric companies are the major beneficiaries, they should pay for them. i am jist fine with my dumb meter.

as for time zone change, i am convinced chile should at least be similar to u.s. east coast time for one reason: the stock market. i have no proof of this, but i bet whole lot money goes somewhere else because chile is so out of sink with the running hours of the u.s. markets.

on the bright side, i don't get a bunch of super early calls for half of the year from clients in the states and canada. give's me a chance to clear europe and asia todo list in the morning, before the gringos wake-up and start calling.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:03 am

I have only half heartedly followed the electric meter debate, a couple of questions, how much do they cost? Will they enable consumers to be more energy efficient and also stop people ripping off electricity? Will there be other benefits? Yes they are the property of the electric company , but I would rather pay a direct cost of a meter than the electric company saying they will pay the cost of the meter (becauae hey guess what ? They won't anyway , the consumer will still pay for it as the company will up the price of electricity and recoup it anyway , so you will probably pay more in the long term if the electric company pays for it ).

When I sell parcelas I have to pay the electricity lines installation, cables , transformers , everything , then that infrastructure gets signed over to the electric company and it becomes theirs to make money off.
Someone compared it to me buying a taxi and giving it to the electric company to work and make money off it driving around.

The point is , that money for instalation has to come from somewhere, if in my case if the electric company installed all the lines at their cost, my parcelas would cost less, someone, i.e the consumer generally always pays for improving infrastructure in companies either directly or indirectly . What you thought they made improvements to infrastructure out if the goodness of their hearts and off their bottom line?

I'm surprised in such a user pays country such as Chile that people don't seem to grasp that.
How much tax is taken out of fuel, yet how much in tolls do people pay?
Why is the consumers responsibility to pay fraud insurance on a debit card when normally it's the banks useless security is what results in card cloning?
Why are airports so collapsed when everyone pays a separate tax on flights?
Why is the lake in Puerto Varas got sewerage in it, when everyone pays water and sewerage charges?

As I say , don't really find the meter debate that scandalous compared to many other things that go on here, collusion and price fixing cases are all over the place and have been prolific in the last few years, yet all of a sudden this gets on social media and it is suddenly a big scandal and everyone seems so shocked by it?
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:16 am

Donnybrook wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:14 pm
It does make a difference if you talk to family members who live in another time zone. Sometimes it is 5 hours difference, sometimes 4 when their clocks change and then the much looked forward to 3 hours when our clocks change. It is the difference between staying up past the time you want to go to bed or chatting at a more reasonable time for both. It is the yearly moving around of dates which is annoying.
I fully agree with all you said. It affects me and my friends and family in other places the same as you and I'm sure many others.
Thanks for saying it.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am

funny conversation recently with my wife's cousin. he works in the finance industry.

he said, "i have to pay to drive on the freeway. i pay for a private security at my condo. my kids go to a private school. they will go to a private university. what the hell am i paying taxes for?"

i told him, it could be worse. we don't even have kids. :lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:45 pm

So I read a bit about this today, the scandal of the meters has been blown out of all proportion by most people it seems, once again thanks social media and many "news" outlets.

According to the local electricity distribution companies in Los Lagos region, there is no upfront cost to pay for new meters, it will be integrated into general pricing when they renegotiate the tariffs they can charge, which they do every 4 years with a government entity.

Meters now become part of the electric companies infrastructure just like poles and transformers, the average cost for most consumers............between 200 and 300 pesos per month .

Oh what a scandal, between 3.50 and 5.50 US dollars per YEAR , less than what most people spend on 1 combinado or a pack of cigarettes or a jar of mayo or a couple of completos , anyway you get the idea , just to repeat thats 5 or so dollars a YEAR.
The amount appears so small its almost irrelevant. Now if you use a hell of lot of power it could be up around the equivalent of a couple of good bottles of pisco, PER YEAR. (But if your using that much electricity your probably dont care about a meter charge) .
Hell even if you had an electric account for 30 years and used a lot of electricity you'd probably only pay a few hundred bucks over your life. Sorry I'm still failing to see the scandal.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:45 pm
So I read a bit about this today, the scandal of the meters has been blown out of all proportion by most people it seems, once again thanks social media and many "news" outlets.

According to the local electricity distribution companies in Los Lagos region, there is no upfront cost to pay for new meters, it will be integrated into general pricing when they renegotiate the tariffs they can charge, which they do every 4 years with a government entity.

Meters now become part of the electric companies infrastructure just like poles and transformers, the average cost for most consumers............between 200 and 300 pesos per month .

Oh what a scandal, between 3.50 and 5.50 US dollars per YEAR , less than what most people spend on 1 combinado or a pack of cigarettes or a jar of mayo or a couple of completos , anyway you get the idea , just to repeat thats 5 or so dollars a YEAR.
The amount appears so small its almost irrelevant. Now if you use a hell of lot of power it could be up around the equivalent of a couple of good bottles of pisco, PER YEAR. (But if your using that much electricity your probably dont care about a meter charge) .
Hell even if you had an electric account for 30 years and used a lot of electricity you'd probably only pay a few hundred bucks over your life. Sorry I'm still failing to see the scandal.
I think in Canada some people's argument against them was the 24/7 electromagnetic radiation that they emit. But I suspect the scandal was actually blown out of proportion by the BC Bud home-growers, to prevent more exact monitoring of their electricity consumption. Maybe it's what's going on here as well, given that everybody smokes?

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:52 pm

I guess I have a smart meter. They changed out the old one about a year ago. Now it is read remotely. I liked the guy who read the meter every month and we formally shook hands and wished each other well at the last reading he did. I didn't pay anything for it but I suppose we will all pay for them somehow out of the great big money pot.It is an advantage to not have to be home to have the meter read, although you can always phone in the reading yourself. I do monitor my consumption and have a fair idea how much I use every month. It was down this winter although my habits did not change. So maybe the new meters are more efficient. I haven't seen a downside to having it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 am

hey, i pay something like 20,000 pesos a month in just bullshit connection charges, and the eletric company has not done shit to improve the local grid in years.

this summer we had an outage in our area averging about one every two weeks. in the summer. not even talking about winter storm season. nice sunny days. our last one ran 18 hours.

on my bill, for the last two months of outages, they gave me a whole 900 pesos in credit.

think frigen eletric company can suck up the cost of a meter, that is designed to save them money not me. at 240,000 pesos a year in connection charges (for years), and eliminating the costs of sending out a meter reader, think they are pretty well covered.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 am

at46 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 pm
41southchile wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:45 pm

I think in Canada some people's argument against them was the 24/7 electromagnetic radiation that they emit. But I suspect the scandal was actually blown out of proportion by the BC Bud home-growers, to prevent more exact monitoring of their electricity consumption. Maybe it's what's going on here as well, given that everybody smokes?
Oh those people, the same ones that worry about wi fi and transmission lines.
Good point, Hadn't really considered the growers, you mean easier remote monitoring? as in P DI could tap in and see who is using what remotely and have a full detailed history which is not possible now. Possible.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:19 am

41southchile wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 am
Good point, Hadn't really considered the weed growers, you mean easier remote monitoring? as in PDI could tap in and see who is using what remotely and have a full detailed history which is not possible now. Possible.
But the law that allows cultivation in small quantities is almost there. And larger quantities are rarely grown at home even in the south because the climate is good enough — in Los Rios they recently found a whole island of cannabis in a river.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:45 am

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 am
hey, i pay something like 20,000 pesos a month in just bullshit connection charges, and the eletric company has not done shit to improve the local grid in years.

this summer we had an outage in our area averging about one every two weeks. in the summer. not even talking about winter storm season. nice sunny days. our last one ran 18 hours.

on my bill, for the last two months of outages, they gave me a whole 900 pesos in credit.

think frigen eletric company can suck up the cost of a meter, that is designed to save them money not me. at 240,000 pesos a year in connection charges (for years), and eliminating the costs of sending out a meter reader, think they are pretty well covered.
That's a lot, I pay an 9000 peso per month for use of transmission lines (whatever that rort is) This summer we had two power outages (I think the one before that was about September) One for 3 hours and the other about 8 hourswithin a few days of each other back in early February, that was it.
There is a bs winter rate that pisses me off which means they jack the price up in Winter, when they should be encouraging the use of electricity to try and cut the use of burning green wood (like probablyhalf the population does), instead they penalise customers for using the electric heating .
Adding up all the miscellaneous bs charges and consumption and of course IVA, the per kw charge is about 148 pesos (total divided by kw used). That's around 22 cents USD per kw. About the price in Alaska. (,rest of the states is about 12 cents average according to search).
My bill does not show a kilowatt hour rate and for some reason it shows 40kw of winter consumption in January ( the total was 609kw) . So without iva and all the extra charges the kilowatt hour is about 105 pesos.
I found the cost here is about same as NZ for kilowatt hour but line or grid costs are virtually nothing here. 9000 pesos is a joke to then.
My parents bill for their farm includes line charges of over 1000NZD per month (460000) .

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 am

Space Cat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:19 am
41southchile wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 am
Good point, Hadn't really considered the weed growers, you mean easier remote monitoring? as in PDI could tap in and see who is using what remotely and have a full detailed history which is not possible now. Possible.
But the law that allows cultivation in small quantities is almost there. And larger quantities are rarely grown at home even in the south because the climate is good enough — in Los Rios they recently found a whole island of cannabis in a river.
🤔I'm not sure, but I heard most growrs prefer inside (in NZ at least and probably would be similar here? Judging by the proliferation of growiing shops and on line offers).
Inside has more control, and reliability I.e pests such as bugs are not an issue, less chance of being seen by nosey neighbors, faster, no climate variables, and up until now virtually impossible to detect , unless you are an idiot and tell everyone.
Inside is year round, you could probably get 3 or 4 crps per anumn inside (albeitwith a lower yeild), but still beats outdoors 1 annually .
Outdoors still happens of course but I would guess and basing the guess on what I've read and heard in NZ, inside far outweighs what is grwn outdoors by a long shot.