Daylight Saving Time

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:33 pm

All my devices with internet clocks (at least 20 of them, mostly cameras) stayed on Buenos Aires Time. I stuck up two cheap clocks in strategic locations, and labelled them "Chile Time"
Maybe if I complain that my right to a temporally stable environment is being infringed, someone might take notice...?
Nah, didn't think so
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Well after a couple of years without meddling, the politicians are changing the dates for daylight savings time this year again. Mind you imo it actually makes more sense than most of the orher changes that have happened this decade, especially after the idiotic attempt by MBs government in 2015 to do away with it completely, meaning the sun didn't rise till after 9 in Puerto Montt, then they reuntroduced it back to barely three months of winter time in 2016.
The new changes will see clocks back by 60 minutes on 1st Saturday of April and then forward again in first Saturday of September, which is close to what it used to be a decade ago, before they decided to confuse and screw around with everyone for most of this decade.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Does it really matter? The clock still kicking and time keeps moving forward. Relax and enjoy every minute!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:19 pm
Does it really matter? The clock still kicking and time keeps moving forward. Relax and enjoy every minute!
I dont know if it matters it Depends on your point of view and who you ask I guess . Interrupting natural sleep patterns, by making kids and workers waking up and leaving home in the dark, as well as an increase in pedestrian accidents, less productivity because outside workers can't work in the dark in the morning etc .

I dont know if it matters if having a country that 3 or 4 years ago was the butt of international jokes in media because they couldn't even sort out what time to have in the country leaving their citizens totally confused .

Obviously time only moves in one direction, but to keep changing and experimenting on a population by incompetent politicians and bureaucrats with something as basic as keeping the right time is kind of amusing.

Yeah it may not matter compared to other things that need sorting out I guess.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:50 pm

We just have to adapt, period or...move to a different country.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:14 pm

It does make a difference if you talk to family members who live in another time zone. Sometimes it is 5 hours difference, sometimes 4 when their clocks change and then the much looked forward to 3 hours when our clocks change. It is the difference between staying up past the time you want to go to bed or chatting at a more reasonable time for both. It is the yearly moving around of dates which is annoying.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:51 pm

It makes a difference if you run any kind of business interaction with people at another timezone. Meetings scheduled at a certain time in the client's timezone this week w/o accounting for the timezone change will be missed. Flights will be lost.

It may not affect your average Chilean, but this doesn't mean it won't affect anyone. How much of an impact it will have I'm the economy is an unknown factor, but it should be possible to extrapolate from last year's numbers. I wonder if someone kept track of this.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:50 pm
Lol, that's the best you can come up with ? Must be this hot weather and being a Sunday I guess. So all Chileans (which are 99 percent of the people that I have discussed this with) should adapt to the chopping and changing of daylight savings every few years, and if not they should leave ? Hmmmmmm where actually should they all go ? Theres adaptation then theres just being screwed around by idiots with bright ideas that make no sense to the vast majority and no one actually wanted them. En fin I just hope this is the last tampering of daylight savings for a long time.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:56 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 pm
Gloria wrote:
Lol, that's the best you can come up with ? Must be this hot weather and being a Sunday I guess. So all Chileans (which are 99 percent of the people that I have discussed this with) should adapt to the chopping and changing of daylight savings every few years, and if not they should leave ? Hmmmmmm where actually should they all go ? Theres adaptation then theres just being screwed around by idiots with bright ideas that make no sense to the vast majority and no one actually wanted them. En fin I just hope this is the last tampering of daylight savings for a long time.
Get over it. As humans we adapt to many things and this one is not different. Time changing has been happening for decades and our bodies gets adjust to it so stop whining. You should be more concerned with actual news such as the biggest rip off of the century planning to change to "smart electric meter". That´s a priority and something to be pissed off about. I´m surprised that not one has said anything in the matter.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:18 pm

If Chile as the elites puppets they have in power seem to WANT it, just stick to the SAME friggin schedule as the rest of the world and this thread would not exist.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:56 pm
41southchile wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 pm
Gloria wrote:
Get over it. As humans we adapt to many things and this one is not different. Time changing has been happening for decades and our bodies gets adjust to it so stop whining. You should be more concerned with actual news such as the biggest rip off of the century planning to change to "smart electric meter". That´s a priority and something to be pissed off about. I´m surprised that not one has said anything in the matter.
Appears you dont understand the argument about the changing of dates 5 times since 2010, not the fact the time changes, but whatever. I'm over it.
As for your biggest rip off of the century, lol, that's a good one , Mega and ahoranoticias been getting you all pissed off again? A priority you say? , yeah I wouldn't quite go that far , having to fork out for a smart meter doesn't really do it for me. I'm not really concered about it that much , you see as a human I've just adapted to being screwed over by corporates and governments, it is what it is and happens all the time.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 am

Gloria wrote:
Hmm, seems to be a common answer these days:
'
600px-MW_Soviet_TT33_3a.jpg
600px-MW_Soviet_TT33_3a.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 75 times
As for the "smart" meters, perhaps their adoption will stop the widespread meter tampering that goes on right now that honest consumers end up paying for. In an ideal world, they would have a data port so that so-inclined consumers could actually monitor their own consumption, but here...? Nah.
Après moi, le déluge