Santiago residents without water.

General topics related to Living in Chile
Gloria

Santiago residents without water.

Post by Gloria » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:36 pm

I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

papageno

Re: Santiago residents without water.

Post by papageno » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Soychile had it yesterday. Considering how many Forumites are in or near Santiago, I'm surprised none have posted about it. Are these floods so common they're not worth comment?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Exactly my point. I was wondering the same thing. The news are showing non stop the flood of the Mapocho river in part of Las Condes. Horrific! Tonite won't be water or electricity in several sections of the city.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:57 pm

In my case I never lost electricity or water. It did affect a lot of Las Condes but it is a big comuna. Providencia was the hardest hit with the flooding and a lot of things were closed today. Schools are closed tomorrow.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Nunoa no effect (near Pedro de Valdivia and Irarrazaval) but schools closed.
Her work not cancelled in Santiago Centro.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:45 am

Onemi informó además que, de acuerdo a datos de la Superintendencia de Servicios Sanitarios, 1.047.000 clientes se encuentran sin suministro de agua potable, en las regiones de Valparaíso, Metropolitana y de O’Higgins.

http://radio.uchile.cl/2016/04/17/inten ... mnificados
A million people without water.
Fuertes lluvias e inundaciones causan estragos en Chile
Published on Apr 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBbXUh228iE

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:46 am

clientes. so say or three or four in each house, so its probably more like 3 or 4 million individuals

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:07 am

MJSaywell wrote:
clientes. so say or three or four in each house, so its probably more like 3 or 4 million individuals
You are right. I had seen this other article, but I thought that it couldn't be that many people without water, so I took the lower number.
....cerca de cuatro millones se han quedado sin agua

http://internacional.elpais.com/interna ... 23000.html
This other article links the Alto Maipo project with the problems of turbidity in the water.
....la turbiedad no sería sólo consecuencia del desprendimiento de las quebradas, sino también de los trabajos que actualmente se realizan para el proyecto Alto Maipo como un túnel subterráneo.

http://radio.uchile.cl/2016/04/17/no-al ... n-santiago

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:15 am

hey, guys. Would have posted but was flying back from Miami when the storm hit.

Yea, anyone that has been here say 15+ years recall that flooding on the river there in Santiago was really common every year.

Then they built the highway under the river, widened the channel, and all has been well for many years. Then they screwed it up.

This however is a mega political screw-up. They let this Spanish construction company, divert part of the river to use part of the channel to store construction materials (think it was related to the costanaria center). Well, the 100 year flood of course was scheduled to happen as soon as they did that. Get this? This is the same Spanish company that is building the panama canal locks, that just last year were tested and found to leak, setting back that project months. So, some moron in the government that approved this shit needs to loose their head.

The video of the inside of the costinaria center mall looks like Niagara falls.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:26 am

hey. and it turns out the U.S. government is underwater too (sorry could not resist):

Due to nearby flooding the U.S. Embassy in Santiago will have limited operations on Monday, April 18, 2016. All visa and American Citizen Services appointments are cancelled and will be rescheduled. For U.S. Citizens with emergency consular needs, please call the Embassy at +56 2 2330 3000. The Embassy will re-open at 8:30 A.M. on Tuesday, April 19, barring unforeseen weather related developments. Please check the Embassy’s website for updates: http://chile.usembassy.gov.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:03 pm

papageno wrote:Soychile had it yesterday. Considering how many Forumites are in or near Santiago, I'm surprised none have posted about it. Are these floods so common they're not worth comment?
Media shows the worst of the worst. Reality for most was probably a rainy weekend. Some without water for 24-36 hours.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Im more worried about the pub not being open in 2 weeks time when i arrive :)