So long, Chile.

General topics related to Living in Chile
seawolf180

Re: So long, Chile.

Post by seawolf180 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 pm

I think the relevant question is what is the outlook for internet access in the future.

Apart from seeing Bob go, and whether he'll find it worth his time to share his experience of moving back to the states, if that is what he chooses to do. Good choices on this planet seeming to be going in the wrong direction thanks to government(s) ability to track and control us, ironically With of the same technology, we want more of, and Bob lacks as an euntreprenuer.

I no longer have a land line here on the central coast, once the speed and reliability consistantly failed to compete with a mobile plan, pretty sad, but reason to hope at the same time. With the Chilean hunger for all things internet, how the hell will these companies keep up in the years to come, and how much will be mobile?

Are companies or the gubment investing adecuately for future demands? Companies must be, considering the profits.

How much worse will it get before getting better? Any time frame?

Anybody well informed about it all?
Don't Tread On Me Either.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:57 pm

zerOns, if I remember correctly, used to work with super fast speed internet connection there in Santiasco ?
Was that a corporate server or via regular vendors do not know despite.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 am

Ah, the eternal struggle with internet in Chile. We know it well. On the meta-scale of things, we ( personally, that is) have come a long way since we bought out here in the sticks in 2007. We have gone from no communication services whatsoever, land lines or cellular, to actually having two Entel towers within sight of our property. But therein lies the problem - visible cellular infrastructure does not equal cellular service- only one of those towers actually functions! The other, newly built in November 2015, is still awaiting some vital part or other.

On the micro-level, we have invested in two 3G routers, each with its own internet account, in order to have some level of access available to us for the entire month(!!!) . One of them is an old ilimitado account which is most definitely not unlimited since Entel throttles it down to zero at some point quite early on in the month. We then switch to the second " limited" router, which may, or more usually does not, last us through to the end of the month when the whole game starts all over again. Oh and BTW, very rarely can we use the internet at all after the local kiddies get home from school. And on many days we see the dreaded No Service on our phones, and know that the hamster that powers the system has gone on strike. For this horrendous level of service we pay approximately 60,000 a month. In most other parts of the world, this would buy unlimited top-of-the-line internet access. Bob, you have our sympathies ... sorry you can't run your business from the nation's capital. That is a national embarrasment, or should be. Out here in the campo, we have to take a somewhat more pragmatic view, but then we don't have a business to run.
Sadly Entel doesn't care either way.
PS. Ironically, the internet failed in the middle of writing this! Yay for Entel!

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Out our way they can't keep electricity or water running consistently day in day out. At least once, most times more, one or the other stops for a period of time during a week. Where I come from the power and internet survived some of the most ferocious thunderstorms imaginable. All I can say is God bless booze, food, friends and fuego.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Yes, the other problem with internet is when the power goes out. Where I live that happens a lot. Say around 30 times a year, sometimes for a day, sometimes an hour, sometimes 20 minutes. That's one of the reasons I still keep my Entel dongle so I can plug it in and still access internet. I can then carry on working for the length of time it takes the battery to run down. If the power cut is all day I very occasionally have to go and work in the town for 2 hours - assuming they have power - until the battery is full, and then come home again. Of course the power usually comes back on just an hour after I leave meaning it was a waste of time to even leave, but you can never know that for sure.

As to internet in the future, things are steadily improving. The fibre optic cables are increasingly coming to the street we live in, which is in the countryside but close to an urban area. There's also the possibility that one day someone works out how to send internet from satellites to the whole world at a reasonable cost and speed ratio.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Our internet service provider is Geonet. It costs a fortune and it is excellent - one of the few things in Chilelandia worth (to me) every peso. What I don't understand about Entel is how Geonet can be so good when, as I understand, they are reselling Entel. Why doesn't Entel offer a superior (and more expensive) service level if they already have the technical capability to do so?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Telefonica del Sur is a highly professional company who reacts to problems really fast (at least in Valdivia).

VTR is an incredible piece of shit. I've never had worst Internet (even while living on an island in Thailand). And they weren't able to fix for more than a month.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Our internet service provider is Geonet. It costs a fortune and it is excellent - one of the few things in Chilelandia worth (to me) every peso. What I don't understand about Entel is how Geonet can be so good when, as I understand, they are reselling Entel. Why doesn't Entel offer a superior (and more expensive) service level if they already have the technical capability to do so?
Would you mind sharing the prices you pay and the Mb/s up and down that you really get?

So looks like they have options using communications towers and options using satellite for where the towers don't reach? Does that really mean they can supply literally anywhere in Chile?

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:44 pm

VTR is in my opinion the best provider (GTD Manquehue is also acceptable, but only available in limited parts)in Santiago. Vtr might be different down south, though.
Movistar is a joke

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:09 pm

VTR for the past two years works fine for me on the central coast. Previously had Movistar ADSL first in Santiago, then on the coast for a number of years also without major problems (but I had a contact inside Movistar back then). I like the battery backup in the VTR router which gives me some extra surfing time via ethernet if the power goes out. Will buy a mobile hotspot on my trip back to the US and get a data-only SIM from Virgin to cover me when traveling or during extended outages/as a backup to VTR.
Que será, será.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:28 pm

ExpatBob wrote:Oh well. Chile does not want my productivity, that much is abundantly clear.
Or anyone else's.
That manifests in too many ways to enumerate them all.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:59 pm

Reading this thread gives the impression that internet service is bad here, which it isn't mostly. Most businesses here need it to process credit cards, generate electronic invoices, and do tax returns etc, so it has to work all the time. Now if you live out in the sticks, that's a different story....

I do use two services, Movistar ADSL and VTR Cable, in a failover configuration, just in case. The only thing I ever see wrong with VTR is intermittent minor packet loss.
quality.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge