So long, Chile.

General topics related to Living in Chile
ExpatBob

So long, Chile.

Post by ExpatBob » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:24 pm

Well, I don't know how else to try and fix the problems I've been having. I rely on the internet to do what I do and be a productive member of society. For the past several months, the internet situation here has deteriorated to a point where it's 99% unusable. No amount of going in to complain about it has gotten results. The first time the technician showed up and told me the line was only capable of running a 4-meg connection, which is BS because it has been 6 megs for the past 3 years and I have never had a problem with it. Not that I am even getting 4 megs of downstream anyways.
It keeps getting worse and worse, to the point where a cellular connection is faster than my landline, and that's not even fast enough. I cannot run or manage my business with this shite infrastructure. Yesterday, someone unforgivable had murdered the local DNS servers so brutally, that I couldn't even check email, not even with manual routing measures.
It does not strike me as a feasible strategy to deal with the expense and stress of moving to another place here in STGO just to get better internet, when I can just go back to my place on the Death Star where stuff simply works, and keep my head low so as to stay in the good graces of Lord Vader. So I guess that's what I will have to do.
It's a shame that nobody in Chile, no matter how high I go up in the Great Telefonica Foodchain, can get their shit together. I'm right in the center of Centro. There is no excuse for this lack of proper connection. And their disinterested tecnicos, so adamant in their purposeful ignorance, don't even bother to show up anymore, despite promises that they will be there between the hours of this and that. I've exhausted my options and have no definable results, other than a still-broken internet connection. Hick towns in the south are on fiber and here I am with the Entel tower visible from my roof and I can't even check email. None of the other ISPs even service this block. Which sits right over the subway line of linea 5, one of the biggest infrastructure backbones in the city.
I have better things to do with my time and money, and Chile is now causing me to lose both. Really I have no choice but to pull the plug here and go. I'd really rather not, but...
Been nice knowing y'all.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: So long, Chile.

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:37 pm

So I guess the moral of the story is to find out vetted banda ancha info before purchasing? Or maybe, don't buy if there is no competition at your address (Movistar and VTR)? But I get Chile in general is better than Uruguay...and then some...but don't buy in a particular area of Santiago because banda ancha sucks...??? And purely based on that bad decision...Adios to Chile though one may go to the eventual concentration camps in the Empire or live the eventual MadMax scenario with 307+ million people??

BTW, is that 13" Macbook Pro still under warranty or AppleCare? :mrgreen:
Que será, será.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:39 pm

Whether it's my personal experience, what others have told me, or what's written on the internet, everything points to consistently appalling service from Movistar. While you may not have another cabled/wired option, can you try non cable options from another company.

If I am sitting in the middle of the countryside typing this, you would think you can get internet where you are. I have an Entel dongle based one. And Netland. It is slow but just enough to watch say Netflix. it works consistently. I have done countless professional live webinars and never had one seriously interrupted yet. Even Skype sometimes works fairly well. Still, to be clear, we are talking about 1 Mb/s for 30 or 40k per month or something like that and as soon as two people try to use it at once, it goes slow and bad. Not sure if this company even covers Santiago, since they are focused on rural locations that Movistar hasn't reached. Not sure whether it would even go through an apartment building since even trees can affect its signal.

Still, there has to be some kind of solution although whether it's worth the hassle/cost to figure it out, that's another matter.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Why not get out of the Big Asco, and get an ENTEL modem?
Anyway, if you hurry you can hit some Bernie campaign events with John. :lol:
Don't Tread On Me Either.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:15 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:So I guess the moral of the story is to find out vetted banda ancha info before purchasing?
I did. It worked. Fine. For years.
Or maybe, don't buy if there is no competition at your address (Movistar and VTR)?
I checked. All offered something. Movistar offered the best. Now the rest offer nothing. Things changed. For the worse.
But I get Chile in general is better than Uruguay...and then some...but don't buy in a particular area of Santiago because banda ancha sucks...???
See point 1.
And purely based on that bad decision...Adios to Chile though one may go to the eventual concentration camps in the Empire or live the eventual MadMax scenario with 307+ million people??
Informed decision. Which is now regretful. Oh well. Chile does not want my productivity, that much is abundantly clear.
BTW, is that 13" Macbook Pro still under warranty or AppleCare? :mrgreen:
It's under whatever warranty MacOnline gives. It's only been out of the box for a month, and only used for a week during that time.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:...Adios to Chile though one may go to the eventual concentration camps in the Empire or live the eventual MadMax scenario with 307+ million people??
Bob has always struck me as someone who's impulsively drawn to chaos. So one of my first thoughts when I read his post (other than I think I know how he feels, even though my internet connection's been good so far) is this is another indication that the empire is getting closer to collapsing. Not that we need any more indications.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 am

ExpatBob wrote:It does not strike me as a feasible strategy to deal with the expense and stress of moving to another place here in STGO just to get better internet, when I can just go back to my place on the Death Star where stuff simply works, and keep my head low so as to stay in the good graces of Lord Vader. So I guess that's what I will have to do.
Good luck, and may the force be with you.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Surely Chile has taught you there is a way around everything? I will miss your wit and humor.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Get a mobile office happening at a wifi zone in your local Metro station :)

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:22 pm

ExpatBob wrote:Well, I don't know how else to try and fix the problems I've been having. I rely on the internet to do what I do and be a productive member of society. For the past several months, the internet situation here has deteriorated to a point where it's 99% unusable. No amount of going in to complain about it has gotten results. The first time the technician showed up and told me the line was only capable of running a 4-meg connection, which is BS because it has been 6 megs for the past 3 years and I have never had a problem with it. Not that I am even getting 4 megs of downstream anyways.
It keeps getting worse and worse, to the point where a cellular connection is faster than my landline, and that's not even fast enough. I cannot run or manage my business with this shite infrastructure. Yesterday, someone unforgivable had murdered the local DNS servers so brutally, that I couldn't even check email, not even with manual routing measures.
It does not strike me as a feasible strategy to deal with the expense and stress of moving to another place here in STGO just to get better internet, when I can just go back to my place on the Death Star where stuff simply works, and keep my head low so as to stay in the good graces of Lord Vader. So I guess that's what I will have to do.
It's a shame that nobody in Chile, no matter how high I go up in the Great Telefonica Foodchain, can get their shit together. I'm right in the center of Centro. There is no excuse for this lack of proper connection. And their disinterested tecnicos, so adamant in their purposeful ignorance, don't even bother to show up anymore, despite promises that they will be there between the hours of this and that. I've exhausted my options and have no definable results, other than a still-broken internet connection. Hick towns in the south are on fiber and here I am with the Entel tower visible from my roof and I can't even check email. None of the other ISPs even service this block. Which sits right over the subway line of linea 5, one of the biggest infrastructure backbones in the city.
I have better things to do with my time and money, and Chile is now causing me to lose both. Really I have no choice but to pull the plug here and go. I'd really rather not, but...
Been nice knowing y'all.[/quote
Hey ExpatBob, the death star is nice and fast connection and IT business bustling. But perhaps Japan's Tokushima prefacture in the small city of Kamiyama, they welcome and bend backwards to lure IT savvy people and entrepreneurs.

The whole province has laid fibre optic wire network throughout the entire province.Perhaps you can give a try and move there for trial, who knows that even encountering a long legged pretty Japanese doll there for you. Here the techies can take their laptop to river side and work doing picnics all day.!
http://www.jlgc.org.uk/en/wp-content/up ... work12.jpg
http://www.jlgc.org.uk/en/news_letter/t ... mmunities/
I'm pretty sure you will like it there, good food and all, you know!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:19 pm

I agree that Movistar technicians are useless.
Guess you have ADSL, if you have a phone with it, is there any noise on the line?
Last problem I had was due to moisture in a JB, which affected both the internet and the phone. After getting nowhere with the internet people, I complained about the noisy phone line. The phone people came and repaired the connection which fixed both.....just seems to confuse Customer Service to mention two failures caused by one problem.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:52 am

14Mbps, in this hick town down here, :-) haha actually Puerto Varas has it all, although we do have 20 minute traffic jams in the mornings now to get accross town. Sounds frustrating though, I do know what its like, rural New Zealand is crap too, seems a bit off though in the middle of Santiago, what the hell is going on?