taxes for importing a laptop

General topics related to Living in Chile
papageno

Re: taxes for importing a laptop

Post by papageno » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Since I'm still in the U.S., I'll drop by the local retailers and see what's available.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:11 pm

1. most of the time if you buy from amazon, all the taxes are prepaid so there is no crap on the chilean end.

2. if you buy locally there are no longer problems with the language if you get windows 10, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it all to switch, but its not impossible (http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to- ... indows-10/), once in english you just say you have a spanish keyboard... i'm still using mine i got in chile with my spanish keyboard, i prefer it as it makes typing spanish easy!

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Gloria wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:Yeah G-San, forget the Alibaba and purchase through Amazon. I always purchase and receive goods via Amazon. Never had any problem so far.
We never ever buy from Alibaba......the name says it all............ but we do buy a lot from Ebay which arrives to our POB. You on the other hand shouldn't have any problems receiving your items from Amazon since you live in the US and with a free call you can solve any situation however in southern Chile is a different story.
i brought in excess of 10k worth of stuff into chile from aliexpress :), There guarantee for delivery is great, and chinese love making the invoice $30 for everything.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:15 pm

papageno wrote:Since I will need a Spanish keyboard, any recommendations?
I can't complain about the Acer Aspire I got in 2012 from Jumbo. It hasn't given me any problems yet. And I've been comparing it to similarly priced ones available now, and I think the newer processors could actually be slower. Worst case, you could remap an English keyboard.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

papageno

Post by papageno » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:29 pm

zer0nz wrote:1. most of the time if you buy from amazon, all the taxes are prepaid so there is no crap on the chilean end.

2. if you buy locally there are no longer problems with the language if you get windows 10, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it all to switch, but its not impossible (http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to- ... indows-10/), once in english you just say you have a spanish keyboard... i'm still using mine i got in chile with my spanish keyboard, i prefer it as it makes typing spanish easy!
Yikes! I'll make sure I'm awake and sober before I try it.
Good tip though. :salut:

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:29 pm

zer0nz wrote:1. most of the time if you buy from amazon, all the taxes are prepaid so there is no crap on the chilean end.

I considered windows 10, because of the language thing. But then I read about the forced updates (that you might be able to work around), and all the latest privacy invasion features. And I decided to stick with win7 for as long as possible. And put more effort into moving my personal stuff to linux. I need windows for work. Otherwise I'd just switch everything now.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:39 pm

When quickly searching for recent info. on reliability, just about the only source of credible statistics I've come across is the one cited at http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... crown.html, where Lenovo Thinkpads are reportedly just a bit better than all the others except Apple, while the cheaper Lenovos are average. I don't know how well that survey was really constructed but at least it's based on a large number of cases.

I have personally used 3 Thinkpads, lasting maybe 3-6+ years, and if I were buying one for myself that's what I would get, but when I used their repair service in Chile, albeit maybe 10 years ago, it was pretty awful, returning the machine after a month or so with new problems, which also seems to be the experience of our IT department. Our workplace prefers Apple & Dell, the latter of which has on-site service here in theory, though in practice I think it still takes them a long time to get anything mended and I prefer the Lenovo mouse & keyboard a lot.

I think the top reason to import a machine is really the keyboard, as the Chilean ones seem almost unusable, especially for programming and command-line instructions.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:49 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:And put more effort into moving my personal stuff to linux.
So I'd say Lenovo probably make the best machines for Linux IMO, probably followed by Dell (perhaps Apple too for that matter, if you like touchpads, though I have no first-hand experience with that). But beware, my wife has had Linux driver problems with the cursor jumping on a couple of cheap Lenovos, which was a real pain and not simple to troubleshoot, so I would stick to the Thinkpads for Linux.

James.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:51 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:

I considered windows 10, because of the language thing. But then I read about the forced updates (that you might be able to work around), and all the latest privacy invasion features. And I decided to stick with win7 for as long as possible. And put more effort into moving my personal stuff to linux. I need windows for work. Otherwise I'd just switch everything now.
way of the future, all O/S will move towards constant updates in order to meet consumer demand for bleeding edge technology!, i love windows 10, its really good compared to 8.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:52 pm

jehturner wrote:When quickly searching for recent info. on reliability, just about the only source of credible statistics I've come across is the one cited at http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... crown.html, where Lenovo Thinkpads are reportedly just a bit better than all the others except Apple, while the cheaper Lenovos are average. I don't know how well that survey was really constructed but at least it's based on a large number of cases.

I have personally used 3 Thinkpads, lasting maybe 3-6+ years, and if I were buying one for myself that's what I would get, but when I used their repair service in Chile, albeit maybe 10 years ago, it was pretty awful, returning the machine after a month or so with new problems, which also seems to be the experience of our IT department. Our workplace prefers Apple & Dell, the latter of which has on-site service here in theory, though in practice I think it still takes them a long time to get anything mended and I prefer the Lenovo mouse & keyboard a lot.

I think the top reason to import a machine is really the keyboard, as the Chilean ones seem almost unusable, especially for programming and command-line instructions.
Chilean lenovo support is a joke, they carry no spares for the high end ones, i had my t520 come back with a motherboard missing a video card and more unstable than when i sent it in, after 6 months of fighting with lenovo USA, Argentina and Chile, they sent me a brand new t530. have been using it ever since, i think its 4 years old now, goes well!

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Sounds about right... so they are best IMO, but a bear to service here. You can also get decent reconditioned Lenovos quite cheaply and probably save money in the long run, even if some of them don't last long.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 pm

If you have business in Colombia, buy the laptop there, the prices in Unilago in Bogotá are the best I've seen in LatAm so far (for mobile phones as well). Unfortunately Viva Colombia don't have cheap flights to Chile, for me, the price of the laptop + ticket to Bogotá work out quite a bit cheaper than buying here in Ecuador.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!