Where to live: Air Quality, Elevation, Mine-water pollution, Volcanos

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to live: Air Quality, Elevation, Mine-water pollution, Volcanos

Post by admin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:10 am

I guess that blows the theory that only americans are geographically challenged. :shock:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:24 am

In the ex-USSR countries many people I talked with only knew about Chile because of Soviet anti-Pinochet propaganda in 80s (especially the older generation).

Still they usually think that it's tropical and dangerous because of tropical diseases and drug cartels. And once I was asked if a hurricane in Mexico affected us.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:42 am

well, you know, I have to cut some slack to anyone that does not know much about Chile. I have met a lot of well educated, well traveled people, that only vaguely know anything about Chile.

If you go to say google news, type in 'Chile' or 'Santiago', on any given day you will only see a handful of articles in English with anything to do with Chile. Sometimes there will be no new articles picked up by Google for several days. In fact, 'Chile', the plant, often get's more international press than the country due to the fact they have a very aggressive trade association to promote the spice around the world. At least more aggressive than the Chilean government it seems.

You know what. Kind of o.k. with that. We will keep it our secret.

Someday there will be another World War, and everyone will just forget Chile is there (kind of like they did in the last two wars).

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Wiggum

Post by Wiggum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:09 am

In Germany, most people just know that Chile is a country in South-America, where exactly in South America i doubt they would know...
Since i started talking about Chile with friends and coworkers i have heard all kinds of funny stuff.
- isn't that in Africa (LOL)
- isn't that a poor country ruled by drug cartels (for them, South-America is just Columbia, Brazil and "Mexico")
- isn't there some kind of civil-war

One girl argued with me that they actually speak portuguese so why did i start learning spanish...

I have read a article (in English) that argued that Chile, because of its geographic location between the Andes and the Pacific Ocean is even a bit "cut off" from the rest of South-America and obliviously the outside world...for me, that doesn't sound that bad.

The last time Chile was in the news in Germany was the Copiapó mining accident in 2010, never before or since i can remember seeing or hearing anything about Chile. Well, maybe a few articles about the student protests...

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Wiggum wrote:
admin wrote: The number one greatest danger to you (your personal existence) where ever you are in the World, is other people. Walk outside right now, cross the street. Your statistical probability of making it to the other side of the street is much much lower than any natural threat in Chile, ever. Your odds are low, because of people.
So, less people. Less danger. Chile has a lot, lot less of those dangers. Which makes all the natural dangers, much more manageable, when they do become a problem. Less people in danger, less problems.
Oh, i agree 100% with you here.
And in that case i think Chile will be much safer then Germany (because of the high/insane population density everywhere).
Also, the political and social climate in Europe and especially Germany is worsening fast now, from that perspective Chile looks like a good place to be.

Yesterday i had a discussion with a co-worker about my plan to migrate to Chile, he thought i was crazy because Chile...isnt that a 3rd world country in Africa...? :shock:
Yesterday i had a discussion with a co-worker about my plan to migrate to Chile, he thought i was crazy because Chile...isnt that a 3rd world country in Africa...? :shock:
Is your friend a German? ... He talks very similar to that person I met at my Gym in California, whom said, the Syrian refugees coming in to Germany, at least they are "white coloured" as the Persians !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Wiggum

Post by Wiggum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:33 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote: Is your friend a German? ...
My coworkers are mostly of russian ancestry. He's one of them, i like them much more then the "pure" germans. :wink:
I'm myself actually from mixed polish-german ancestry which is pretty oblivious if you see my surname which doesn't sound german at all.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Wiggum wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: Is your friend a German? ...
My coworkers are mostly of russian ancestry. He's one of them, i like them much more then the "pure" germans. :wink:
I'm myself actually from mixed polish-german ancestry which is pretty oblivious if you see my surname which doesn't sound german at all.
My bad, thought your name is Von Wiggum ! So you are one of good ones, have Polish blood in you ! But your sur-name doesn't sound Polish at all ? Most polish I know, have names such as Polinsky-etc. !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Wiggum

Post by Wiggum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Come on, Wiggum is just my name in this forum ( i guess everyone knows the Simpsons).
My real surname ends with ...ski, is that polish enough ? :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 pm

that is funny, considering a very large portion of southern Chile was settled mostly by Germans, not Spanish. Where I live, the Germans still speak German, even many generations on; although, as I understand it, various levels and much differently than modern Germany. The German schools here still teach German. Kids still go to Germany to visit cousins, go to school, participate in various education programs and competitions. every town has a "German club", even if it has mostly been just downgraded to a restaurant and bar. Some are more "German" than others.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Herr von Wiggum :D if you prefer Poles and Russians maybe you should try the south of Brazil, Curitiba especially, there are millions of people of Polish and Russian descendency there. Culturally all Brazilian though, it's amazing.

In the south of Chile a lot of the immigration from Germany happened about 150 years ago, so the language that their descendants speak now is very much influenced by that, German at the time was divided into very different dialects. I get the impression that the German government, Goethe Institute, and so on make an effort to integrate their community in Chile. And yes, there are German schools, cafés, clubs, fire brigades and all down there.

It's really something to come across someone speaking 150-year old Sächsisch that they learned at home and assumed to be standard German :shock:
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Wiggum

Post by Wiggum » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:58 am

Well, if i move to Chile my plan was always to live in southern Chile.
I assume meeting someone there who actually speaks a old german dialect will be quite a experience, but i always expected it to be some old grandpa on a park bench, not a 21 year old chica...

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Interactive real-time pollution map:
https://airvisual.com/earth