8.4 earthquake, tsunami evacuation (official thread)

General topics related to Living in Chile
nwdiver

Re: 8.4 earthquake, tsunami evacuation (official thread)

Post by nwdiver » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:39 pm

admin wrote:I just watched the CNN international report, and they were struggling to even spin an interesting story out of this.

The Same up here in Canada.......... the CTV National Late news gave it 30 seconds, then turned back to razor wire, tear gas and water cannons used on refugees in Hungary........ They did show the staff of CNN Chile running out of their Santiago office and the shaking going on............ the cell net was not over burdened as I talked to 5 people who had talked to everyone..........
It's all about the wine.

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:47 pm

It is pretty hard to find any information at all!

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:48 pm

nwdiver wrote:
admin wrote:I just watched the CNN international report, and they were struggling to even spin an interesting story out of this.

The Same up here in Canada.......... the CTV National Late news gave it 30 seconds, then turned back to razor wire, tear gas and water cannons used on refugees in Hungary........ They did show the staff of CNN Chile running out of their Santiago office and the shaking going on............ the cell net was not over burdened as I talked to 5 people who had talked to everyone..........
The Syria/Hungary news and republican debates are generating enough of a click through rate & web page views that the news agencies don't need another story right now.
Living the life!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Britkid wrote:I see it says Coquimbo on your profile. Are inn the city or just in that area. Low down or up on the hill? We have family in Coquimbo quite near the sea but much higher up.
I'm not in downtown Coquimbo, but I think it's still officially the city of Coquimbo. I'm a little over 1/2 km from the bay. Not near sea level, but there are still signs that point uphill for tsunami evacuation. But I don't know of any tsunamis that made it this far, at least not yet.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:48 pm

An image from ...La Serena.

Edit:
Condominio Puerto Edén, del sector de Peñuelas, en La Serena.
Photo credit: Aldo Morales G.
Attachments
Coquimbo.jpg

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Sorry, should have thought to post here from La Serena last night as we had generator power, though it was difficult to load anything with DNS flaking out etc. Things seem pretty normal here inland but the port of Coquimbo took a real battering as the sea came in. It really did feel just like our office building was sliding sideways in starts over a rough surface :o. Our only comparable experience previously was a localized ~6.5 quake, I think in 2002, though thankfully this large one seemed pretty evenly distributed over time and latitude and it wasn't difficult to stand or move around. I hope there aren't too many injuries in the area around Los Vilos, which I'm also told has a lot of adobe.

Cheers,

James.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:00 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Britkid wrote: To summarise, there is no straight line path between the reported epicentre and Coquimbo or Tongoy,
From (sigh..) Wikipedia:
In the case of earthquakes, the epicenter is directly above the point where the fault begins to rupture, and in most cases, it is the area of greatest damage. However, in larger events, the length of the fault rupture is much longer, and damage can be spread across the rupture zone. For example, in the magnitude 7.9, 2002 Denali earthquake in Alaska, the epicenter was at the western end of the rupture, but the greatest damage occurred about 330 km away at the eastern end of the rupture zone
So the epicentre doesn't necesarily represent a point source of energy release.

Small shake in Serena as I write.......ho hum.
I used to think the 6's, and even some of the 5's, were kinda concerning. But now that seems like nothing. I'm really impressed by how well these houses are built (except for the plumbing). I think an 8 in California would be really bad. But here in my neighborhood at least, it was more like a social event. I just hope I didn't speak too soon:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:40 pm

jehturner wrote:Things seem pretty normal here inland but the port of Coquimbo took a real battering as the sea came in.
I think I'll take a walk down there in a little while, and see how bad it got. It's a short run from the beach to the railroad tracks and Ruta 5, where the tsunamis typically stop.

Karlsson2015

Post by Karlsson2015 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:39 pm

We are in Castro, Chiloe staying in a Palafito hostel (house on stilts over the water). We had to evacuate last night from 10-12:30 but no waves came.

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:39 pm

admin wrote: when I get a chance to talk to them I will try and get a sense of just how much real damage was done.
This is not comprehensive, but I know some people staying at the sea-side town of Horcon (~125 km south of where the tremors are concentrated), and they have had zero disruption of power, phone or water.

And no flooding of a beach town facing north toward the epicenters.

Horcon location: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=-32.7 ... 4&z=11&m=b
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:44 pm

admin wrote:There was a lot more cases of the U.S. embassy and U.S. state department behaving very badly during the 2010 earthquake. At best, they were simply getting in the way or not doing anything at all.
US government policy:
Never let a serious crisis go to waste.
And if there is not a crisis, create one.
(Like deposing democratic governments the world over. Then creating wars to fight enemies you created and financed.)

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Britkid wrote: --- it's possibly for tsunami waves to curve or change direction by a large amount (seems to go against conventional wisdom)
Ocean swells (whether created by weather or earthquakes), can easily turn, even more than 90°, due to bottom drag, but the more they turn, the more they lose power as the original radial distance (i.e. degrees of wave energy), is dispersed even further as a result of turning.

The swells, when they approach shallow water, rise up to become "waves".
But tsunamis can be immense surges instead of short-period waves. The behaviours upon turning are approximately the same.

But there are many other factors which determine the impact of a tsunami; not just the local geography but also the nature of the earth movement.