Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46

Re: Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

Post by at46 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Julito wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:26 pm
It could be worse, think of the Russkies with 8 time zones, or Western Europeans doing business with Russia.
I think Russia actually has 11 time zones, which is why Moscow never sleeps :)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:24 pm

And Kaliningrad-Königsberg is almost in Western Europe. 🙂

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:29 pm

11 time zones, that´s quite a juggling act!

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 pm

Looking at the number of areas in the color map at the right of the page, there are 11 areas in the map of Russia, and 10 on the map of Canada.

There are eleven time zones in Russia, .... Daylight saving time is not used in Russia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Russia

Canada is divided into six time zones...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Canada

And Chile is complicated???

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:28 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 pm
And Chile is complicated???
You seem to be missing my point. Of course big countries that span many degrees of Longitude are going to have a lot of Time Zones, that is neither here nor there. But I bet not one of them has seen the amount of fiddling with DST, no DST and different DST transition dates that this country has been subjected to over the last decade or so.

Its only complicated here because the goverment keep frigging with the time on a virtually annual basis, or haven't you noticed?

Certainly the WSJ did; they called it "Government Tinkering"
What Time Is It in Chile There’s No Telling.png
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:09 am

It is hard to follow what you have written when you keep on changing it.

The decision of what time it is in a country is a political decision, and the debate in Chile seems to only have started after the US started doing changes in 1987, and again in 2007. Also in Canada it become a topic of conversation and debate after the country changed the starting dates to match the US.

If you look at the map of times in Canada you might notice that there are parts of the country that don't follow DST.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 am

frozen-north wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:09 am
It is hard to follow what you have written when you keep on changing it.
Back to your usual picky-pick, I see.
What have I changed, exactly?

Anyway this year the official Chile Time page updated smoothly. The Windows Time shown is actually Buenos Aires, UTC-3
time.jpg
I don't care what TZ they use, with or without DST.
I just would like the government to stop messing around, and set a defined Chile Time that doesn't change from year to year.I dont know why you are trying to defend the current arrangement other than out of contrariness.
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:14 am

fraggle092 wrote:
What have I changed, exactly?
Memory problems?
I don't care what TZ they use, with or without DST.
I just would like the government to stop messing around, and set a defined Chile Time that doesn't change from year to year.I dont know why you are trying to defend the current arrangement other than out of contrariness.
The Chilean tendency to overcomplicate never ceases to amaze. Not to mention the constant parliamentary tinkering with the actual DST Transition Dates which vary from year to year.
The point is that the time zones in Chile are not complicated, even with 2 time zones. Go and look at what was posted about Russia and Canada.

The changes to the start date might be called annoying or confusing, but that is a separate issue.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:50 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:14 am
The changes to the start date might be called annoying or confusing, but that is a separate issue.
If you took the trouble to read properly, you would see that this is precisely the issue I am bitching about.

And here is just one of the reasons why: These are instructions for updating a Linux server to the latest Chile tzdata. Time and date are set separately and are not that straightforward either. Complete info in the link
Sorry, no GUI. This is for CentOS/RHEL 6 & 7. Debian etc will be different.

To spell it out more clearly, this is the OS installed on a great many of the servers that run the country.
1.- Para saber cual es la versión del SO, ejecutamos el siguiente comando:

[root@oracledb ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo)
[root@zabbix ~]#

2.- Como primera parte debemos revisar que paquete “tzdata” tenemos instalado en nuestro servidor, lo haremos con el comando “rpm –qa | grep tzdata”.

[root@oracledb ~]# rpm -qa | grep tzdata
tzdata-2019a-1.el7.noarch
tzdata-java-2019a-1.el7.noarch

3.- Si la versión del paquete TZDATA es igual o superior a “2019a-1” no tendrás problemas, pero si estás bajo ello recomendamos instalar la última versión liberada: “2019a-1”.

4.- Si es que no cuentan con acceso a los repositorios de su distribución, les dejamos los links del paquete RPM “tzdata” y “tzdata-java”:

Si tiene versión de SO 6.X, usar los siguientes paquetes RPM:
http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/Oracl ... noarch.rpm

Si tiene versión de SO 7.X, usar los siguientes paquetes.

5.- Una vez descargados, hay que subir los RPM al servidor y después se actualiza como cualquier RPM:

[root@oracledb ~]# rpm –Uvh tzdata-2019a-1.el7.noarch.rpm
[root@oracledb ~]# rpm –Uvh tzdata-java-2019a-1.el7.noarch.rpm

6.- Con lo anterior (si tienen fecha y hora correctamente seteados), quedará automáticamente configurada la nueva zona horaria.

7.- Es recomendable que el servidor se esté sincronizando constantemente contra un servidor NTP.
Then restart the machine and cross your fingers and pray that it comes back up again. Linux is very sensitive wrt Time.
Need to be root to go though all that palaver btw.
That's why UTC-3 is good (enough) for me.
Respond if you want, but I have finished for now (until the next arbitrary clock change).
Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Another reason this is important for me. "Home" Automation, it's a Car Park actually.
All timed on UTC-3. Sunrise/Sunset times calculated using our local Lat/Long, no CLT or CLST.
That way it works throughout the year without having to tweak each switch every time new (and always different) transition dates are decreed. Or frig with the latest tzdata. Our main site has a separate, larger setup.
Domoticz.png
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:27 am

You were bitching about the time zones, and that was what I commented on. If you read what you wrote, you will see that after mentioning the time zones, you added a complaint about the time changes as a separate issue: 'Not to mention the constant parliamentary tinkering with the actual DST Transition Dates which vary from year to year'.

If setting the time in your servers is complicated, that was something you had not mentioned, so it was not part of the thread.

So their Chile Standard Time UTC-4 forecasts have to be adjusted to compensate for (UTC-4)+1, or CLST, Chile Summer Time, which is the same as UTC-3.
Ended DST and Started Again
In January 2015, Chile decided to remain on DST permanently. However, only a year later, the Chilean Ministry of Energy announced that the country would introduce yearly clock changes again from May 15, 2016.
The Magallanes region will continue to remain on the same time zone all year, at UTC-3.
Is your brain hurting yet?

The Chilean tendency to overcomplicate never ceases to amaze. Not to mention the constant parliamentary tinkering with the actual DST Transition Dates which vary from year to year.
I think that one could say that those making the decisions might be complicating your life, but they are not necessarily complicating theirs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm

did a predawn drive to the PM airport this morning. it was scary. a number of near misses, of all kinds.

i drive to the airport at night all time, but in the early morning the traffic is about 10 to 100 times heavier than what it is in the evening. especially with a bunch of half asleep drivers, rushing to get to work, or kids to school whatever. the morons in congress don't seem to grasp how long chile is and things like the curvature of the earth.

santiago no es Chile, even if we are on the same time zone.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.