Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:20 pm

Space Cat wrote: Santiago is always -3 UTC now.
Dont know where you got that idea. "Permanent" UTC-3 was introduced in 2015 and was supposed to remain in effect until at least 2017.
Before that we had UTC-4 with DST. But starting in 2010, the DST transition dates were set by government decree every year and every year had different DST start and end dates.
Sexto cambio en 6 años.
Desde el terremoto de 2010, los gobiernos de Sebastián Piñera y Michelle Bachelet han modificado seis veces el cambio de hora. Según el último anuncio del Ministerio de Energía, el horario de invierno (GMT-4) comenzará el sábado 12 de mayo y terminará el sábado 13 de agosto, cuando volverá a regir el GMT-3.
http://diario.elmercurio.com/2016/03/15 ... 3A702C.htm?
Space Cat wrote:Why don't they move to the native UTC -4 instead of going DST again?
In Magallanes, they are happy with UTC-3, and would like to keep it.
Others say that since Peru is at the same-ish longitude as most of Chile, we should be using UTC-5.
Others want more light in winter mornings for schoolkids, others think its better to have more light in the evenings to reduce crime, others think DST disrupts circadian rythms, etc etc. etc.

This time its mami Bachelet who overrode her energy minister. The darker mornings last year apparently gave rise to increased school absenteeism. Since this is the first year her educational reform is coming into effect, she is unwilling for anything to stop it from going smoothly.

I personally dont give a rodent's posterior what timezone they choose; with or without DST, just as long as they decide on something and then stick to it. Instead of this pathetic flopping backwards and forwards every year at the whim of politicians.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 am

I see LAN airlines is openly criticizing the government, as they had to reprogram like 5,000 flights do to the change.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:00 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Space Cat wrote: Santiago is always -3 UTC now.
Dont know where you got that idea. "Permanent" UTC-3 was introduced in 2015 and was supposed to remain in effect until at least 2017.
Before that we had UTC-4 with DST. But starting in 2010, the DST transition dates were set by government decree every year and every year had different DST start and end dates.
By "always -3 UTC" I meant "without DST"... Ok, nevermind, the topic is confusing. :D
But starting in 2010, the DST transition dates were set by government decree every year and every year had different DST start and end dates.
This is really bad for the digital world. Not many software pieces can auto-update their time zone setups.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:26 pm

According to this article the la pobla is annoyed by all these ad hoc time changes:
"existía molestia en la población por la improvisación y los reiterados cambios en la lógica con que se venía decidiendo sobre el cambio de hora".
A consultation process was set up last year. Many organizations and government ministries were involved, and a dozen polls were carried out. After all that effort, no clear recommendation was arrived at. But the final advice was that whatever decision (to be taken by whoever) was reached, it should be the definitive one:
"Independiente de la opinión de los distintos sectores de la población sobre cuál es el horario más adecuado, transversalmente se espera que la medida que se adopte sea la definitiva"
Wonder how much that all cost.....bureaucracy gone mad.

Then Bachelet in person goes and overturns the existing arrangement, which had been due to last until 2017, to suit her own agenda. The latest change only stays in place till 2018.

What a way to run a country.
Après moi, le déluge

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 am

So...will Chile be remaining on daylight savings time through 2017?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Clocks will change on 14th May this year I think according to some media reports I saw.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:12 pm

The "horse's mouth":
http://www.horaoficial.cl/aviso/index.html
Tiempo de Vigencia: Desde las 24:00 horas del Sábado 13 de Agosto de 2016 y hasta las 24:00 horas del Sábado 13 de Mayo de 2017, la hora oficial se adelantará en 60 minutos para Chile Continental y Chile Insular Occidental. Para la Región de Magallanes y Territorio Chileno Antártico se mantendrá huso horario UTC -3 durante todo el año.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Thank you both.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:18 am

Change your time tonight 1 hour forward tonight, and get ready for all the "expert" opinions on how you should "adapt to this" . Personally I would leave it as it is and not change for summer time, I prefer lighter mornings, does it really need to be light at 10pm in summer (instead of 9pm if they didn't change) and dark at 7am with Sumner daylightsavings time, it is what it is I guess, but the government knows best .
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:55 am

41southchile wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:18 am
Change your time tonight 1 hour forward tonight, and get ready for all the "expert" opinions on how you should "adapt to this" . Personally I would leave it as it is and not change for summer time, I prefer lighter mornings, does it really need to be light at 10pm in summer (instead of 9pm if they didn't change) and dark at 7am with Sumner daylightsavings time, it is what it is I guess, but the government knows best .
Same sentiment here.
Read somewhere that at least one of the reasons DST continued in the U.S. after WWII was that the barbecue industry lobbied Congress to keep the time change so as to have light for a barbecue after work. At first it was approximately the end April to the end of Oct. Then they kept expanding it to what it is now and Chile apparently followed.

In an elongated country such as Chile the difference in North and South is too great. Careful what to wish for as next they will propose a North/South time division like Argentina tried a few years ago and failed miserably.....Duh.

Standard time works just fine. Quit screwing with the clocks please!
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Just to clarify.... :roll:
Predicciones.jpg
So their Chile Standard Time UTC-4 forecasts have to be adjusted to compensate for (UTC-4)+1, or CLST, Chile Summer Time, which is the same as UTC-3.
Ended DST and Started Again
In January 2015, Chile decided to remain on DST permanently. However, only a year later, the Chilean Ministry of Energy announced that the country would introduce yearly clock changes again from May 15, 2016.
The Magallanes region will continue to remain on the same time zone all year, at UTC-3.
Is your brain hurting yet?

The Chilean tendency to overcomplicate never ceases to amaze. Not to mention the constant parliamentary tinkering with the actual DST Transition Dates which vary from year to year.

But I don't care.
UTC-3
Is fine for me.....

https://www.horaoficial.cl/aviso/index.html
https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/c ... dates.html
Après moi, le déluge

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:26 pm

No different in Australia though it´s a state by state decision. Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia don´t have daylight saving, the general consensus being their Summer evenings are hot enough without adding another hour of sunshine. In Western Australia it´s been tried then afterwards put to a referendum at least 3 times in the last 25 years and´s lost out each time.

I had a business in Western Australia for 16 years with many clients in the East and it was tricky doing business with them when they had daylight saving added to the time difference. Two hours became 3, then 4 when you threw in the lunch hour so it was get things done early in the mornings or forget it till next day which of course slowed things down for us and every other business dealing with the East. The upside is the dates are set in stone, no fiddling about with them.

It could be worse, think of the Russkies with 8 time zones, or Western Europeans doing business with Russia.