Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

General topics related to Living in Chile
Dosedmonkey

Re: Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:08 pm

It's been bloody lethal the extra hour of darkness in the morning santiago early rush to work and school. Mad they thought it was a good idea.

Falklands stopped changing clocks a couple of years before, but it's a but different there. People's driving and safety standards is higher in the first place. The sunshine doesn't change much there when it does appear from the clouds.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 pm

So, instead of DRIVE SAFER or, oh... wait... here's a shocker: LEAVE FOR WORK EARLIER, we have to attempt to regulate spacetime instead?! Greeeeeeeat, I see wonderful things in our future.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:51 pm

I did opt to leave earlier, problem was after my son could enter the school (gates only open 20 mins before class and I arrived 30-40 min before every day) I got stick in return traffic.

Doesn't matter how safe you drive, the hundreds of Chilean drivers who drive like loonertics or the bicycle without lights crossing the autopista will catch you out one day. But I did the wisest thing, moved out of Santiago.

Regulate spacetime is quite different to understanding it and applying it wisely like the chaps did at Greenwich Observatory.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:58 pm

I aimed those simple suggestions at Chile as a whole, not you specifically :)

They make sense any time of year, regardless of DST idiocy.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Saw on the tele yesterday that they are bringing a winter time change back in. As I said last year they wanted to wait a year and then change it back. Just in time to f*** up everyone's clocks again. Funny thing, the day they announced it, people were seeing their cell phone time automatically change as if the clocks were supposed to change this weekend....which they weren't supposed to do. Was that the relic of an older period a few years ago?

Anyway, clocks now change on 14th May, and again in August.

Perhaps the right decision on balance, although certainly the wrong decision to keep messing about with the rules.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:31 pm

MORONS, absolute morons.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:50 pm

The Energy Minister, Pacheco had stated that GMT-3 would remain until 2017, but now its all change with six weeks notice. This is how they run this country. And every year its different.

He also said that the GMT-3 regimen had saved 0.88% in national electrical energy consumption. This is an insult to the intelligence. An amount that small, even if were measured accurately is a blip. But its not a reliable figure, certainly not one worth quoting.

One of the reasons cited for the latest change was an increase in school truancy. Really.

Guess my Home Automation project goes back on standby and my electronics stay on ART, GMT-3.
Maybe I will buy a watch, anything that gets its time from an internet time server, including cellphones, is going to get screwed up. Again.
Après moi, le déluge

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:03 pm

They never updated the cel networks even before they went off DST.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 pm

You know I always see these shows about 'what is the most important invention in human history'.

It is simple, the clock.

Not even the calendar comes close to the clock (calendar is just derived from that). Everything from the sundial to the computer i am typing on is a 'clock'. With computer processors we talk about "clock cycles". A computer is just a super-glorified clock. The more complex our clocks are, the more complex our society can get. Not the other way around. being able to say, 'everyone gather in the square at noon', was the revolution that led to revolution. Now I set my clock (my computer), that synchronize with your clock (your computer), that synchronizes with my server, the ISP, the interned backbone clocks, and millions of other of small clocks you do not know you are even using, and we have international nearly instant communication; all because we are able to synchronize our clocks to a precision we have never, ever, been able to synchronize our clocks to before in history. We have issues now with atomic clocks not being sufficiently accurate.

Chile is still working on getting synchronized with all the other clocks. Congress thinks they are still trying to figure out how to synchronize there time zones to meet the train schedule (that is a joke, Chile has only ever had trains in a single time zone).

anyway, this year only my own personal notebook with linux seems to be the only thing that imploded (guess I was not paying attention when I installed it).

Most of our systems seem to have held up, as I took them totally off of Chilean time system to avoid this bullshit, after the last three bullshit attempts at messing with the time ended in me working many more hours (yea, that saves me time how). My office servers for instance need to be accurate to the millisecond with databases, email servers, and various backups, as they sink with other servers inside and outside Chile. They don't however need to be on Chilean time to do that. so all UTC / GMT time. they all melt-down however if they suddenly get a time that is in the past or the future, one second or one hour is all the same to them. It is the change itself that is expensive and dangerous. Which, I wonder if they did that calculation in congress to frigen figure out just how much money, human resources, and electricity was wasted F*&*King around with the time.

Some sort of case could be made in a country of say a billion+ people (e.g. china with one time zone), but with 17 million people the return is very minimal. Never mind, no matter how you mess with time, most of the country will not be working until well after 9 a.m. anyway; but, make half the country get up while it is still dark, turn on a light, start the heater because the sun is not out, and so on, and so forth, yea the hour matters.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:45 pm

0.88% on the electric grid. Did they calculate the loss of energy in people waking up in the dark and turning on their water heater with colder pipes, the house heater with a colder house, and so on and so forth? How about increase in car accidents? how about just lost efficiency in causing confusion?

Ridiculous attempt to save energy.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:35 am

Half of the sites and other software pieces still didn't know Santiago is always -3 UTC now. Their authors just haven't updated the time zone modules. I wrote to some of them manually last time to get the correct time there.

Why don't they move to the native UTC -4 instead of going DST again?