Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

Post by admin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:53 am

well the grand experiment with eliminating day light savings time has really messed with my own internal clock. I like getting up early, and for the last few months that means I am sitting in the dark for hours waiting for the sun to rise. My internal clock is set to the clock, clock, and is terribly confused by the meaning of 4, 5 or 6 a.m. these days.

Of course, for those just arriving, you missed the other grand experiments that the Chilean congress has undertaken, like changing the day of the year, but not notifying the international network time protocol people (person). That causes computers to not sink up, the cell phone networks did not work for a day, and so on. Chile does not produce computers, and hardly produces software.

A while back I found a programming language that had not corrected for the Chilean time changes (I also found software that did not even list Chile's time zone). I have all my computer set to UTC, simply because I got tired of playing hide and seek with the local time changes.

so, here we go again. Seems congress is considering reinstating the daylight savings time, due to safety concerns. The big one is kids are standing out on the street in the dark waiting for buses in the morning. Guess they did not think that one through.

If you are in the south around the lake, there is already about a 10-15 min lag (12.66 degree dif in latitude) in the day light to Santiago. I did not realize it until I was watching the news one day and the sun had set outside, while the live feeds they were showing of the streets in Santiago still had day light.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Que hora son mi corazon, daylight savings time

Post by admin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:20 am

by the way, you have to talk to "father time" if you really want to change time these days. In fact, he is way more important than whatever the Chilean congress thinks the time is. For those that don't know what Network Time Protocal is, this is a great article on the single guy that has been keeping it working for like 30 years.
http://www.informationweek.com/it-life/ ... id/1319432
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:57 am

Wouldn't it be ...silly...to change now, with the solstice just days away?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:44 am

I doubt they are going to change it right now, but they may be discussing whether or not to next year.

It does seem that they went ahead with a sudden change without much consultation and it has been badly handled.

You obviously have made the winter mornings colder and darker. For commuters to work it doesn't matter as much because you have to have dark commute at one end of the day. But for school kids it makes sense to have 8am in the light hours so that they can go to school AND return in light. This week and next week will be the two darkest weeks of the year.

I know after they made the change some airlines showed the wrong time on their schedules and even while onn board the plane stated an arrival time that was wrong, various clocks I have seen wrong such as onne in an internet cafe just an hour ago which I corrected. It messes up a 100 little things like that so shouldn't be taken lightly.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Haha, we had the same thing in Russia when our silly politicians was turning DST on and off a couple of times.

Older Windows and OS X versions are still not aware of Chilean time change. And many online services that are using their own time zone libraries still setting my profiles to -4 UTC.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Wouldn't it be ...silly...to change now, with the solstice just days away?

This is chile remember. I had a dream a few nights ago that my wife and I were deported. They put us on a ship to England, they stuffed it up because we are not from England. Howzat? I had been watching a movie called The Immigrant beforehand. But to have Chileans stuff things up in my dreams is truly remarkable.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:59 pm

There is no consultation necessary; DST is the dumbest most worthless stupid thing people force upon themselves, other than war.

Furthermore, Chile never got DST right when it was still officially on DST. The web clocks and cel towers and all the stuff that should have been updated would never be updated, so you'd still arrive to work late or early, the kids would still be standing around in the dark, you would miss your flight, they would do arbitrary things like, "Oh we're extending DST for another couple of months this year, just because," etc. etc. etc.

If it's going to be FUBAR, why make people go through the song and dance of wondering WTF time it is so they can reset their clocks every 6 months?

lotn

Post by lotn » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm

ExpatBob wrote:they would do arbitrary things like, "Oh we're extending DST for another couple of months this year, just because," etc. etc. etc.
This lead to one of my first "you're not in Kansas anymore" moments in Chile. I remember when they were going to roll back DST in March or April 2012 reading in the newspaper that the government had decided to push it back by a month or so. The way the article was written made it seem like the decision was made arbitrarily, which seemed very foolish a month later when people were early to work and no one's phone had the correct time. Just silly.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:15 pm

It does seem that they went ahead with a sudden change without much consultation and it has been badly handled.
Sadly, that could apply to so many things other than just DST.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:52 pm

We'll just do it mañana. That's what it all comes down to anyways!

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:07 am

Qué hora es / qué horas son is a mildly controversial grammar topic in Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs6Y4kZ8qtw :D
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:06 am

I was pleased that Chile had finally decided to set a stable time, after various years of tinkering with the transition dates of DST. But it looks as if it will get changed again as the late winter sunrise is proving pretty unpopular. Why they decided on this time zone, which the same as Buenos Aires, is a mystery; UTC-4 with or without DST would be fine, as long as it is consistent from year to year....

Another good reason (many more recent examples come to mind)for not politicizing infrastructure management. Pathetic.
Après moi, le déluge