Old Bank Account

General topics related to Living in Chile
El Chupacabra

Old Bank Account

Post by El Chupacabra » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but I had a bank account with Banco de Chile a few years back. (approx. 4 years ago) There was some money in it, but as time went on whatever money was in the account got eaten up by bank fees.

My question is...If once there was no money left in the account, would the bank automatically close the account when they could no longer withdraw their fees?

or...would they have possibly continued to attempt to withdraw fees and continue for years to create a negative balance amount and possibly come after me for the fees at a later date?

Not sure if I am going to run into trouble with this in the future. Any help would be appreciated.
Living the life!

Donnybrook

Re: Old Bank Account

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:15 pm

I don't have any current info, but my son let an account just dribble to a close. The fees ate up the small amount left in it. He has a savings account in the same bank and that was not affected. This was a few years ago.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Gloria wrote:
El Chupacabra wrote:Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but I had a bank account with Banco de Chile a few years back. (approx. 4 years ago) There was some money in it, but as time went on whatever money was in the account got eaten up by bank fees.

My question is...If once there was no money left in the account, would the bank automatically close the account when they could no longer withdraw their fees?

or...would they have possibly continued to attempt to withdraw fees and continue for years to create a negative balance amount and possibly come after me for the fees at a later date?

Not sure if I am going to run into trouble with this in the future. Any help would be appreciated.
Was it in a checking account? if it was I would advise you not to neglect it and find out its status. The bank may not be closing the account automatically and fee charges may have continued sending you to DICOM. They did it to me when I wanted to close my checking account and I had to unravel a mess themselves made. Never once I got an explanation or apology. Needless to say that I would not ever do business of any kind with that bank.
I thought DICOM no longer exists?

And if my info was sent to DICOM - what would be the consequences?
Living the life!

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks. If that's the only consequence, then I could live with that.
Living the life!

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Thank you for the info.

I have never had, nor will I ever need credit in Chile. That's why it doesn't bother me.

My concern was a fear of some ridiculous rule/law that states because they think I owe money, I wouldn't be allowed to leave the country. I just didn't want to be at the airport one day and have some sort of nasty surprise.
Living the life!

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:55 pm

El Chupacabra wrote:Thank you for the info.

I have never had, nor will I ever need credit in Chile. That's why it doesn't bother me.

My concern was a fear of some ridiculous rule/law that states because they think I owe money, I wouldn't be allowed to leave the country. I just didn't want to be at the airport one day and have some sort of nasty surprise.
ahh, but what yout not realising is that the credit rating companies in chile are the exact same one as the ones in the USA:..... i wouldnt be surprised if that will factor into your USA credit rating!

if you search the forum a old poster has a issue when his north american medical insurance company managed to get hold of his chilean medical history without even telling them much about chile... my bet it was through the same companies that maintain the chilean credit ratings!

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:05 pm

zer0nz wrote:

ahh, but what yout not realising is that the credit rating companies in chile are the exact same one as the ones in the USA:..... i wouldnt be surprised if that will factor into your USA credit rating!

if you search the forum a old poster has a issue when his north american medical insurance company managed to get hold of his chilean medical history without even telling them much about chile... my bet it was through the same companies that maintain the chilean credit ratings!
I couldn't care less - I'm not American.
Living the life!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:07 pm

El Chupacabra wrote:
zer0nz wrote:

I couldn't care less - I'm not American.
If you never_ever_ wanting to verify then use your credit history in the US or canada, then no need to worry about.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:15 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
If you never_ever_ wanting to verify then use your credit history in the US or canada, then no need to worry about.
Or in the UK.

Argentina - Brazil - Canada - Chile - Costa Rica - Ecuador - El Salvador - Honduras -
India - Paraguay - Peru - Portugal - Russian Federation - Spain - United Kingdom -
United States - Uruguay

http://www.consumer.equifax.ca/business ... pare/en_ca

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:51 pm

This link might be useful: http://dicomgratis.info/ver-dicom-gratis-aqui/37/

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if I found the link here :)
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Just an FYI for anyone else who might be reading this in the future and wondering about the outcome - I checked my DICOM thru Servipag/Equifax website and there was nothing.

At this point I'm sure they simply closed the account.
Living the life!