Expired tourist visa AND lost tourist card, what to do?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Ashora

Expired tourist visa AND lost tourist card, what to do?

Post by Ashora » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi all,

I find myself in a bit of a predicament, I've been traveling in Chile for almost 2 months past the expiration of my tourist visa, figuring I could just pay the fine when I leave the country (as I understand, it's around 35.000 CLP for up to 100 days). The issue is I've now lost my tourist card, (stupid, I know) and will require a replacement to leave Chile.

I'm wondering about the order of operations in doing this, I worry that if I go to replace my tourist card with an expired visa, I will run into issues. Or vise versa, if I go to pay my fine without the tourist card, will I have problems? Do I need to pay the fine first and then get the card, or is the order unimportant?

I will be leaving Chile by plane, I've heard it's possible to replace the tourist card at the airport in case of emergency, but again, I'm not sure this will be possible because of my expired visa (would this be an issue with a paid and stamped fine document?). And do I need to replace the tourist card at the Extranjeria or international police office? I've seen lots of differing information.

What do I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm completely lost here.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Re: Expired tourist visa AND lost tourist card, what to do?

Post by marti » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:58 pm

You're going to jail.
La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Give yourself lots of extra time at the airport. I lost mine once and had to wait in the little side room where the police hang out next to the immigration exit line and after making me wait the proper amount of time they just gave me a new one and sent me on my way. But then I wasn't overstayed. I expect you'll probably have a fine.

What you DO NOT want to ever do is be just one parent traveling with a minor child and have the slightest blemish at all with your paperwork, and by blemish I mean misplaced crease or smudge even.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:37 pm

I would not wait until the airport as your situation is a lot different than someone who simply lost their copy of the tourist card. You are going to have to go to see about the fine for overstaying first, I would think. You have a stamp in your passport for your entry anyway. Do this as long as possible before your flight as they aren't going to be happy with you. Overstaying by a few days is a lot simpler than overstaying by 2 months. They are going to want to be satisfied that you were not working here and may need proof of how you supported yourself for 5 months. It is so simple to cross a border and come back in with a new tourist card that I really don't understand how people get caught in situations like this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:45 pm

go to the department of immigration in Santiago, days before your flight and fix it or risk missing your flight. You will have to pay fines most likly, along with other fun paperwork, but you definitely do not want to be trying to fix this as they are closing the airplane door. Be prepared for at least one full day running around, if not several days, doing the bureaucratic shuffle.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:12 pm

I crossed over from Chile to Argentina at the Paso Fronterizo Mamuil MalMal a few years ago on a bus------en route to San Martin----anyway, I get there and I realize I did not have my tourist card----the bus guy was mildly upset because he knew there would be paperwork----and there was but the bus continued and I just walked to the Argentine side behind the bus about 15 minutes later----they asked me some questions, grumpy face, more questions and then just gave me a new one and then just took it back when they stamped me out of Chile-----"Don't Loose it Again!" as I told them I would be back in a few days-----no fine but they like to scare you a little ----all good in the end----

###

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:27 pm

David_Bro wrote:I crossed over from Chile to Argentina at the Paso Fronterizo Mamuil MalMal a few years ago on a bus------en route to San Martin----anyway, I get there and I realize I did not have my tourist card----the bus guy was mildly upset because he knew there would be paperwork----and there was but the bus continued and I just walked to the Argentine side behind the bus about 15 minutes later----they asked me some questions, grumpy face, more questions and then just gave me a new one and then just took it back when they stamped me out of Chile-----"Don't Loose it Again!" as I told them I would be back in a few days-----no fine but they like to scare you a little ----all good in the end----

###
But you had not overstayed your allotted time by two months.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeah....follow admin's advice. Luckly you are in Chile and not some other Latin American country where bureaucrats have a sixth sense for smelling desperation and the potential for bribes. If you were in Guatemala they'd be having a grand old time sending you back and forth between different offices for this signature and that stamp mostly just for the opportunity to collect bribes at every stop.

john

Post by john » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:39 pm

Donnybrook wrote:... It is so simple to cross a border and come back in with a new tourist card that I really don't understand how people get caught in situations like this.
Perhaps gringo arrogance?
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

northingtonclark

Post by northingtonclark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

I am working in Chile with a on a temporary residence visa and my family is here still on tourists visa. i have not received my Chile ID card but i do have the residence visa stamp. I am going to apply for the dependent visas for my family once i receive my Chile ID. My wife has renewed her tourist visa once and that expired yesterday! Can we drive to Argentina today and have her renew it for an additional 90 days? Also, I was told by immigration (or at least this is what i understood) that my children do not have to have their tourist visa renewed. Any advice?!

northingtonclark

Post by northingtonclark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

I am working in Chile with a on a temporary residence visa and my family is here still on tourists visa. i have not received my Chile ID card but i do have the residence visa stamp. I am going to apply for the dependent visas for my family once i receive my Chile ID. My wife has renewed her tourist visa once and that expired yesterday! Can we drive to Argentina today and have her renew it for an additional 90 days? Also, I was told by immigration (or at least this is what i understood) that my children do not have to have their tourist visa renewed. Any advice?!

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am

My experience at the airport was that they will *not* let you leave without your papers in order. They were willing to make me miss my flight if I didn't have the right papers. Is it the same at a road border? Don't know, but I wouldn't risk it if I were you. A quick trip to the local PDI office will probably resolve the situation with the least pain (my guess).

In case you're curious, I eventually got on the flight. My papers were in my checked luggage. They got the airline to fish my luggage out of the cargo hold of the airplane so I could retrieve my paperwork. The flight even left on time. Chileans are over-dependent on papers, but most of the time they're willing to help however they can.