It's The Bridge To Chiloe Again...

General topics related to Living in Chile
marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Re: It's The Bridge To Chiloe Again...

Post by marti » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:03 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Après moi, le déluge

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:39 pm

marti wrote:
fraggle092 wrote: , so trying to persuade, for example medical personnel, to relocate from Santiago to a place like Chiloe is likely to be quite difficult, especially as any potential hardships tends to get exaggerated for pecuniary reasons.
That's the popular wisdom version. But it turns out that there are a lot of very good and qualified (for Chile) doctors and other medical personnel who are quite happy to be away from Santiago, who recognize what quality of life can be, who have made themselves quite comfortable in Osorno, Pto Varas, Coyhaique, and other places away from the RM. In fact the new hospital in Coyhaique is downright respectable.
Indeed, as is the Osorno hospital, better than the crappy clinica alemana. Puerto Varas is getting a new hospital I bet they will have no trouble filling vacancies there. Its a trend that is happening all over the santiago centric mindset is slowly but surely changing. People even if they are the minority are realusing santiago no es Chile, its a trend I predict will accelerate as people realise what life is like outside that stinking hot stress hole, and hey its a short plane ride if you wanna go back. Like a stgo dentist down the road, he flies down to his property every weekend.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:44 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks for the links.

I have been told of a similar situation on a hospital just south of Santiago.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:42 am

Well here's a thread that is nearly 4 years old.
Who ever set the unrealistic timeframe of the bridge being ready in 2020 was dreaming or dishonest
. it now seems the costs are back to what they originally were in 2006, with Hyundai asking for another 200 million and nearly 3 year extension to hand the bridge over, so by 2023 now the bridge should be ready.
To be fair Hyundai did have to take over their partners stake in the deal, the corrupt Odebrecht, who had their sticky corrupt fingers in many many pies across Latin America, just ask MEO and politicians in Peru how their relationship worked out with them.
Anyway no bridge to Chiloe for another 4 or 5 years and it will probably come in at over 1 billion USD

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... lones.html
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:07 pm

I heard from Chilotes that they don’t want the bridge because it will help to extract the island’s resources to the mainland without benefiting the general population. Instead they would prefer better hospitals or something like that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:55 pm

yea I would not hold your Breath, but I'm sure the Local s will still bitch about their lack of access to the Rest of the country.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm

We were Going to take the Ferry to chaiten.
Guess what?
they don't work on Holidays,
weekends -
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:07 pm
I heard from Chilotes that they don’t want the bridge because it will help to extract the island’s resources to the mainland without benefiting the general population. Instead they would prefer better hospitals or something like that.
Depends some are for it some not, anyway it's a moot point now construction is underway.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:40 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:55 pm
yea I would not hold your Breath, but I'm sure the Local s will still bitch about their lack of access to the Rest of the country.
Yeah bitching is right, its interesting how Southern continental Chileans have a very different attitude to Chilotes than Santiago folk who just see them on their summer vacations and have some romantic view of them. Chileans generally around here that I've talked to can't really tolerate their "give me give me" attitude and "we don't get enough from the state " . Newsflash up until 10 or 20 years ago no regions did outside Santiago, it wasn't some conspiracy hold out on Chiloe , no one had great hospitals or universirties, etc etc, but where as a lot of the rest of Chilean regions just got on with shit , the Chilotes still seemed to be going around with huge chips on their shoulders and thought they should be getting more stuff.
I know that's a huge generalization and their are some innovative go getting Chilotes , but those are generally the ones that escaped the island and live on the mainland.
As for the minerals issue I suspect that is more a conspiracy theory put forward by the anti progress / anti brigdge brigade, it was a bit like the ranchers that tried to claim Douglas Thompkins was setting up a new Israel in Patagonia when all he wanted was to protect the environment. The bridge is actually providing security and secure supply chain connections to Chiloe so the island can develop economically, there are some Chilotes that appreciate that.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:43 pm

I live in Chiloé and am looking forward to the bridge. It will cut travel time by at least 45 mins. I have friends who know people who have died in an ambulance on the ferry on the way to Puerto Montt.