Wondering about some nitty gritty details about living in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
GJJIM

Re: Wondering about some nitty gritty details about living in Chile

Post by GJJIM » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:47 pm

In the northern empire we have round and elongated seats, Chile adds the option of a shape I liken to square. :D If your heated washlet is made for 120V, don't bring it to Chile. It won't fit on the square toilet bowl and plugging it in will transform heated to creamated.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:26 pm

Marker42, you wanna talk about toilets? Here the TOTO afamed toilet story along the bidets.

Stinking European brothels and their bidets! http://www.tofugu.com/2013/07/22/why-ja ... n-america/
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:So you are immigrating to Chile in months and never did the trial multi-month visits once in the winter and the other in the summer?
We have never been in South America before moving here. I just checked different data in Wikipedia and on this forum + looked at some photos. It's enough if you're an adaptable person.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Space Cat wrote:We have never been in South America before moving here. I just checked different data in Wikipedia and on this forum + looked at some photos. It's enough if you're an adaptable person.
That is a big if, and it sounds like it is a couple so not just one individual and based on the questions they asked, the adaptation may be bigger than yours was. Also, 5 years is the real measure of a expat in Chile, congrats if you've been here that long.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Good reaction from the OP to unreasonable criticism, it was already obvious to me that they have done detailed research themselves on the bigger questions and are just looking to sort out a few other details..nothing wrong with that. I do think if you specify which area of Chile you are looking to live in that would have an impact on both insulation and pool issues.

How common are public swimming pools or fitness clubs that have lap swimming? Or stated another way, how big a town does it have to be to have at least one in town?
I was looking for a swimming pool for my daughter to swim around the area of Buin, Melipilla, Talagante, Isla de Maipo. These are 10,000 or 50,000 population type towns, you can check their exact populations online probably if you want. I think Buin had a pool but I never got as far as checking the details. Melipilla was supposed to according to something I found on the internet but I drove around looking for it and asking for it until 3 separate people said something about there being one 10-20 minutes out of town which I never followed up on. In Isla de Maipo there is a Municipal pool and finally I got my daughter some (free) swimming lessons. There was also a public swimming pool in Maipu area of Santiago. I was almost getting as far as looking for classes an hour away in Santiago centre a couple of weeks ago when we went to start swimming classes and found the pool in Isla de Maipo was broken and all the water had run out. But they fixed this in 1 week.

There are also some pools in private sports clubs and gyms if they are at a high enough level, but these may not be cheap and may be lie about pools rather than full size serious exercise pools. Some apartments or condos have a shared pool attached to be shared between all the residents, I have seen this in my brother in law's apartment in La Florida and in an average condominio in an average area (it was somewhere near Pajaritos in Santiago but not quite in that area but maybe technically in Pudahuel. Then you have the rich people with houses and a big garden and a pool. In those types of areas you find private pools but not a shared one.

I have not yet seen a heated pool which means they are summer only for most people. I have not yet seen an indoor pool although I could have missed one more easily of course, but I doubt they are common in this part of Chile. If it is important to you to have year round swimming in a heated pool I would do some research in advance before deciding where to live.

Toilet sizes. In the US we have 2 sizes. "Regular" which to me seem annoyingly small. And "Elongated" which to me seems reasonable. Do they even have elongated toilets down there?
True the plumbing quality is low here vs US/Europe. The size they have seem reasonable compared to the rest of the world in general, not sure about specific comparison to US you want though - everything is bigger in the US, just get used to smaller things if you want to leave the US. Smaller cars, smaller parking spaces, smaller food portions, smaller stores, smaller houses, smaller everything as you soon as you leave the US and go anywhere whether Chile or elsewhere.

House insulation: If you've lived in a house and paid the heating bills for a while, do you think the insulation standards come up to those you've found in the USA? Or do you find the houses there get too cold too quickly in winter?
I don't know anything about US insulation standards but I'll take a guess and say they are higher in the US and lower than in Chile because in Chile they are not that high. Windows can be thin and basic, air can come under doors, not much thought is given to insulation, and this does not change necessarily at the mid to high end. As well as that there is usually no central heating (built in radiators) so you have to buy some type of portable heater. In central Chile it often can be colder in a house that outdoors. I felt more cold in Chilean winter than UK winter in a houses, even though outside it is warmer. This is for central Chile below, I once read that people insulate more in southern Chile and have better heating which is logical as they need it.

Common paper size: Is US letter more common or A4?
Don't know but I have got some printer paper under my desk here and it says letter 8.5 by 11 inch.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:01 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Space Cat wrote:We have never been in South America before moving here. I just checked different data in Wikipedia and on this forum + looked at some photos. It's enough if you're an adaptable person.
That is a big if, and it sounds like it is a couple so not just one individual and based on the questions they asked, the adaptation may be bigger than yours was. Also, 5 years is the real measure of a expat in Chile, congrats if you've been here that long.
We're a couple too. Also our 4 friends (two more couples) moved here at the same time and 2-4 more are coming this year. All of them have never been in Chile.
Maybe it's just too uncomfortable to stay in Russia, Ukraine or Belarus nowadays? :? But personally I don't care about minor inconveniences if a country is safe and people are kind. And Chileans are the most kind people I've seen. :D

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Will the Russo and Eastern Euro background makes a big difference in expectations and adaptability. There is poster from Chookcha land that is probably one of the longest termers here on the All Chile forum.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:19 am

Thanks a lot BritKid and all! I really appreciate your help there. If I ever run into you I'll buy you a beer!

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:26 am

I also appreciate the criticism expressed here too. I know many of you are just trying to prevent others from hard landings. I'm sure I'll come unprepared for many aspects, but hopefully with a little help from my friends here I'll be more prepared than not!

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:30 am

BTW, is that toilet seat dual voltage? Another poster had a good point about that. Most likely it will burn out eventually if having to use a step-down converter.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:51 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:BTW, is that toilet seat dual voltage? Another poster had a good point about that. Most likely it will burn out eventually if having to use a step-down converter.
If it fit, we were planning on using a step down transformer on it. Yes, sometimes the step down doesn't step down quite enough, and some motors don't like the 50Hz when they're expecting 60Hz. Well, I guess we'll see how long it will last. Thanks for the help!

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:25 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.