Wondering about some nitty gritty details about living in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Maker42

Wondering about some nitty gritty details about living in Chile

Post by Maker42 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:59 pm

How common are public swimming pools or fitness clubs that have lap swimming? Or stated another way, how big a town does it have to be to have at least one in town?

Toilet sizes. In the US we have 2 sizes. "Regular" which to me seem annoyingly small. And "Elongated" which to me seems reasonable. Do they even have elongated toilets down there?

House insulation: If you've lived in a house and paid the heating bills for a while, do you think the insulation standards come up to those you've found in the USA? Or do you find the houses there get too cold too quickly in winter?

Common paper size: Is US letter more common or A4?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Wondering about some nitty gritty details about living in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:12 pm

So you are immigrating to Chile in months and never did the trial multi-month visits once in the winter and the other in the summer?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 pm

nothing wrong with the dunnies, the problem lies in what you try to post through them.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Insulation standards?
I think the standard here is to not bother insulating.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:10 am

Maker42 wrote:How common are public swimming pools or fitness clubs that have lap swimming? Or stated another way, how big a town does it have to be to have at least one in town?
try googling for:
"piscina pública" site:*.cl

I tried:
"piscina pública" site:*.cl la serena
to see what was near me, and the first article I saw was about 15 kids getting sent to the hospital with chlorine poisoning:
http://diarioeldia.cl/articulo/unos-15- ... na-publica

So just because you can find one, doesn't mean it's safe to swim in.
Maker42 wrote:Toilet sizes. In the US we have 2 sizes. "Regular" which to me seem annoyingly small. And "Elongated" which to me seems reasonable. Do they even have elongated toilets down there?
I've never paid attention. Just be grateful if you can find anything in an emergency. And bring your own paper.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:So you are immigrating to Chile in months and never did the trial multi-month visits once in the winter and the other in the summer?
I'd never been here before either. I just saw it on the internet.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:49 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:So you are immigrating to Chile in months and never did the trial multi-month visits once in the winter and the other in the summer?
I'd never been here before either. I just saw it on the internet.
I visited once for a couple of days for a convention in July 1999, moved as an experiment in May 2001 without the intention of staying and ended up being based here till this day. It's just the questions asked by the OP make me think the poster has no idea what they are getting into or should be focusing on.

OP must promise to thank us for our input wether they end up staying in Chile or get their ass kicked by Chile. :mrgreen:

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:44 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:It's just the questions asked by the OP make me think the poster has no idea what they are getting into or should be focusing on.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Toilet sizes don't seem all that important to me either. But maybe he has a really good reason for asking, and we just don't see it? That kind of thing happens to me all the time.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:08 am

It matters not the shape nor size of the toilet, but the plumbing it is attached to. Standard Chilean practice is to hook up that standard 3 inch toilet opening to a pipe that's about the diameter of a pencil.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:56 am

yea, and all those questions are way too vague and general.

It is kind of like all the people that call me and tell me they want to buy property in Chile, and I tell them that is like saying you want to buy property somewhere along the Western seaboard of the United States. You need to be a bit more specific.

But, as an old partner of mine was fond of telling clients, "got money, no problem".

Are you going to find anything on your list in a say a $40,000 ticky tacky track home development, not likly. Are you going to find it in a $20,000 U.S. a month apartment in Los Condes, probably (including the swimming pool).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:02 pm

You folks make me chuckle! :lol:
I ask some questions. One person answers one question directly, and the rest are debating the merits of my questions and my fitness to immigrate. :roll:

Anyhow, don't worry about me. I've been to Chile before, and both of us are experienced expats. And I've done a lot of research. There are just some things where I can't get a real sense by simple internet searches.

Since most of the interest was around the toilet question, we have a heated toilet seat which is probably the best thing in the world that people don't know about. Seriously, don't knock it until you try it. However if it's really unlikely we'd be able to find a house rental with a matching size toilet, there's little point in packing it. Just tryin' to plan my day as they say. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your help! Seriously, even if you can't help give me a sense of common practice for these specifics, you folks have already helped me out a bunch and I'm truly appreciative! :D

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:17 pm

They have both, depending. I've seen toilet owners install seats too short for the longer toilets where your thighs are touching the cold germy ceramic below or buy seats too long for the shorter toilets with a lip extending into outer space but at least your thighs aren't in contact with the cold ceramic below. So as this is Chile, it depends, YMMV, etc.

Insulation, do a search, lots of real life comments to be found. If you are one of the USA types who were raised their whole life with central heating or similar systems in well-insulated houses which never go below 65 F ...

- Søren Kierkegaard