Shipping to Chile from USA

General topics related to Living in Chile
Ignite

Re: Shipping to Chile from USA

Post by Ignite » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 am

Anything over-sized is going to be expensive. USPS is the cheapest, you can ship first class up to 4lbs anything over that it has to go priority. Now if you need it at a certain time USPS does not guarantee it will arrive at a specified time -I've seen a package take 2 months to Argentina and a month to Chile.

FedEx, UPS, and DHL are reliable. When using DHL send only small boxes (7×7×4) as they charge by dimensional weight.

Oh yeah USPS does not guarantee tracking beyond its borders so..that little blue tracking bar moght never move, dont panic chances are your package is still moving. The only countries where Ive seen accurate tracking are Canada and European countries.

Ps. sorry for the typos I am using my phone.

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:42 am

I had a package from the US shipped by FedEX and never arrive.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:46 pm

AHusband wrote:I had a package from the US shipped by FedEX and never arrive.
Yeah, that would be a problem:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 pm

I wouldn’t send anything right now, our parcel has disappeared from the Correos Chile tracker.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:45 am

I believe the customs officers went on a strike this week, although I'm not keeping a close eye on this. I would avoid shipping irreplaceable stuff for now, at least until the riots and protests come to an end.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:51 am

If you have odd shaped oversized items like skis for instance...those should come with someone flying in

USPS is the cheapest...by far. The key is you need to use a box that conforms to their largest dimensions. I actually ended up creating a custom cardboard box with scissors and duct tape...it was a pretty good sized box about the size of a small dog house. They will measure the box 3 ways...i think total length, width, and height all of which must be under the limit in inches. Filled it with stuff and each box weighed about 80-90lb.
USPS will charge about $70-85 to ship to chile. I ended up sending several of these

The other pitfall is what you put on the form saying what is in the box and the value. For example books, bluray disks, clothes, bedding, and toys are easy but dont label anything electronic/computer in their or it will get interdicted and they will hold it until you produce an original commercial invoice for anything electronic/computer if its labelled as such on the form
Also avoid food and medicine items

mem

Post by mem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:59 am

Ok just looked again...so the sizing of the box for USPS is based on length plus girth and the limit depends on if it is priority or priority express. You want at least priority so you get a tracking number

The key to keeping the cost be box low is to conform to their size measurements. You can go higher on the weight inside than the limit and it wont trigger the huge increases in cost that the size breaching will do