Giving birth in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Kel

Re: Giving birth in Chile

Post by Kel » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:32 pm

I don't have any financial interest in the location of your birth.

However, I would hate to see anybody get into trouble where there isn't a back up plan. In the States and in Europe, the back-up plan is to bustle off to hospital in an ambulance where the problem can usually be fixed rapidly enough to evert disaster. However, where I live in southern Chile, this wouldn't work because a good hospital hospital would be about 2 days away.

Fortunately, in this big world of ours, we can choose what risks we are each willing to take. We can agree to disagree. I am probably taking risks you wouldn't think wise just as you seem willing to take risks that I think unwise. That is OK. We are both entitled to our opinions. :)

Good Luck, whatever you decide.

Kel

ps: How many children do you have?
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

go play outside

Post by go play outside » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Home births being illegal isn't something I have heard at all, and I did massive amounts of research. I don't get how such a thing could be outlawed! Maybe Drs don't want to be involved with the perceived risk and don't want to say that's the case? Or it could be something to do with billing? Insurance like FONASA means you can buy a "birth plan" at pretty much any hospital for a fixed price (around CLP 200.000) and that includes paying for the medical team of your choice, but this wouldn't cover home births.

I don't know, and don't want to spread misinformation, but as with anything in Chile I'd recommend a 2nd and 3rd opinion before you make your choices. Don't take anyone's word for anything, ask more questions and ask again. Make sure you have found people you trust, and someone to deal with them when you can't!

From experience, I'd recommend you find the midwife/dr you want and then the nicest possible hospital with private facilities and combine the two - but each to their own. Don't let anyone convince you away from what you are comfortable with, it's too important.

Good luck :)

Oriel

Post by Oriel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Thank you for all good advice. We found first contacts, and whenever anyone knows midwives of doctors who can help with homebirth, please let us know.
Here are interesting data about cesarean delivery rates:
<LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN, NEW USER 10 POST RULE>
Results: The cesarean delivery rate in the private clinic is 60 %, in the public clinic 22 %. But in both 77 % of the women prefer vaginal birth. - This implies that in the private clinics the women do not get what they want, in particlular in some private clinics. I would hope that not all private clinics are like that.
I could not find a reliable recent number for the cesarean delivery rate for the whole Chile. In 1997 it was 40 %, which is the world's highest level. Remarkable. Here a report and comment:
<LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN, NEW USER 10 POST RULE>

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Homebirth is NOT illegal in Chile. Our daughter is an attorney here in Chile and she researched it for us. So let us clear up that misinformation now. Homebirths and natural births are happening around Chile. One must simply be diligent in one's search for same. So for those looking for other options besides hospital births full of interventions...there is hope. And the stats that someone posted about 1 in 4 with serious problems. Sorry but the stats don't support such a statement. In fact a planned homebirth with a skilled caregiver is SAFER than a hospital birth. Stats support that statement.

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am

Whilst home birthing (and especially free birthing) is really not my cup of tea, I'm a huge supporter of women's choice and I get really wound up when people (especially other women) criticize each others' choices, in particular with regards to childbirth. I sincerely hope this discussion dies a quick natural death, as there are plenty of parenting forums that are more suitable to discuss the pro's and cons of birth choices. (I'll be happy to point those who wish to get involved in activism for either side, to forums that would suit their belief and where they can knock themselves out preaching to the "other side" or high-five each other for their superior methods)

I'm having an elective c/s this time around and would hate for anyone here to have a go at intervention births (or insult my intelligence by insinuating that I was coerced by some overzealous OB/Gyn with a trigger happy scalpel hand) and it seems like it is pretty much going to go down that road soon. It's the right choice for me and my baby and nobody else's business and I hope the OP finds the perfect caregiver to assist her with the birth she wishes for.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 am

Not going to get in to the whole politics of this, but it is legal to home birth in Chile. In fact, for the very reason in many places in remote parts of Chile the next hospital might be two or more days away means just shear practicality says you could not pass a law that makes it illegal to home birth. There are lot of people in the Patagonia that live at least a days horse ride from a road, let alone a hospital, let alone a hospital sufficiently large to handle any sort of serious emergency. Although the police do provide emergency evacuations in those areas, it might still be a day or two horse back ride to a landing strip. Imagine a woman in labor on horse. What do you think is the safer thing to do? Do you stay at home or risk trying to get to a hospital two days away?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 am

That's good news. We'd rather have our options open if and when the time comes and my wife certainly has no intention of being cut open unnecessarily...

So I wonder what our (griffin's) local doctor was referring to. Could it be that an ordinary GP isn't licenced to provide professional support for this?

James.

RWS

Post by RWS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Or, James, might the Chilean GP have said (or meant) that delivery at home should be illegal? I know of at least one American physician who holds that opinion.

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:16 am

I don't wish my comments to be taken wrong. I too am all for choice. If you want/need a c/s then so be it. If you want a homebirth and are a good candidate for one...then midwives should be available to attend you. I brought up the stats angle to show that home birth IS a safe option for those who are low risk and make that choice. I have been on this planet for too many years to be idealistic enough to think that one size fits all. It doesn't.

rachelmarama

Post by rachelmarama » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:20 am

Hi all,
I m moving to Chile in July to be with my Chilean partner. If all goes according to plan, i'll stay and at some stage in the future, have babies. I was a homebirth (in Scotland, although my parents are New Zealanders and I gre up in NZ) which my Mum had to fight for, and it's something I definitely want for myself. So i'm interested to find out more information about homebirths in Antofagasta. My partner is a Doctor, which hopefully may help things!
Rachel

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Just wanted to post on this thread that I am truly thankful and feel very blessed by the contacts that have come my way via this thread. Just this AM I had the honor of helping a lovely couple( who found me on the ALLCHILE site) give birth to their 1st baby at home. It was a lovely waterbirth and the little family are doing grand. Thanks to others who have posted their support privately and to the other families/couples who remain in contact with me and the birth family. The serendipity nature of life never stops amazing me!

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:51 am

No posts on this subject in six mths. Thought I would add an update. In September (last month0 I attended what was touted as the first ever Parto Naturale Birth Seminar in Limache. There I met 18 other matronas from all around Chile, coming together to learn about natural birth. It was wonderful to see the interest from these women in learning about how to support, educate and assist women in giving birth naturally, rather than being delivered by medical technocracy. So there is a spark here and I hope this seminar added fuel to the fire. Chile still has the highest c/s rate in the world and perhaps this movement may help to reduce those numbers, but it will take time. Perhaps an entire generation of birthing women b/4 we see real change here. But again it was exciting and I look forward to being involved in the process by sharing my 30 yrs. of knowledge and experience as a homebirth/waterbirth midwife. Women deserve options and they seem to have few here...but that is changing and I am encouraged and hopeful about the future of birth in Chile.