Giving birth in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Betsy3336

Giving birth in Chile

Post by Betsy3336 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:03 am

Our family is not yet finished and I have had a terribly hard time finding information about birth in Chile. I have learned that Chile has the highest c-section rate in the world, which does concern me a bit.

I mostly would like to know about home birth and home birth midwives in Chile. Is it a viable option there? Approximately how much do midwives charge? I have had two home births so far and am not interested in going to a hospital to give birth unless necessary for medical reasons - particularly given the high c-section rate.

I am also interested in hearing about hospital birth, but I'm much more interested in learning about out-of-hospital birth.

huincacara

Post by huincacara » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Well. I don't know. But let me tell you something about C cut, in Chile it is an option that doctor are offering to womens that are afrait of the pain (I'm speaking personal expirence). Now you do not want to have a baby in a hospital, 8 to 12 beds in one room.

My two chilean kid did born in Clinica Santa Maria and the expirence was amaizing. First is not in the operation room it is in the same room were you recovery and they make sure that you are the first in get in contact with the baby. It was really nice expirence. (all of then born in the natural way).

Betsy3336

Post by Betsy3336 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:08 am

Thank you for your response. So many of the c-sections are chosen by the mother? That's better (for me) than un-elective c-sections being common since I don't want one.

I would still like to avoid the hospital, but it's good to know that c-sections are elective in many cases which is probably one of the reasons the percentages are so high. I want to avoid seeing a doctor who would perform a c-section in haste. Many doctors in the US are too hasty with the knife (by World Health Organization standards) so I'm wary.

~Betsy

one4zoey

Birthing Advice

Post by one4zoey » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:59 pm

Betsy I have purposely not gotten pregnant here for these reasons. I have done extensive searches and basically found nothing in terms of home birthing. Although every hospital and clinic will have midwives on hand and perhaps you could consult them about the topic. People here are only generally interested in immediately knowing the sex of their babies and planning everything until the last detail including the date of birth. I think you can find a doctor who will respect your wishes and perhaps help you with the topic. Its searching and a lot of groundwork. Let me know how it goes.

admin
Site Admin

doctors

Post by admin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:01 am

You could likely hire a doctor in Chile to do a birth at home for what an experienced midwife would charge anywhere else in the World.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

STORKLADY53

natural birth, etc.

Post by STORKLADY53 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Found this thread and wanted to comment. New to this site and really enjoying it. I am a homebirth midwife from the US moving to Chile in the next several months. My hubby is Chilean, but has lived in the US since the mid 70's. He wants to move back to Chile to open a little clinic of his own. He is a pediatrician. We hope to locate on the coast near Maitencillo where his family owns several cabanas. So that is the area we will be looking at. His mother and brother live in Santiago. His brother is a doctor as well.
I am hoping to connect with women who want natural birth and midwives willing to promote same. I owned my own free standing birth center at one time and did primarily waterbirths. So hopefully I may be able to offer this service again. My husband is very supportive of the idea and I think we may end up doing births as a team. We shall see.

go play outside

Post by go play outside » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:42 pm

hi again, best we move this from the other thread I guess!
THere is a midwife in Pucon / Villarrica who does natural births, home births etc; will get her contact details. You'll need Spanish. She is one of very few. Admin - I doubt you could pay many drs here to do home births, there are rules and ways of doing things that they follow and it's just not done.

go play outside

Post by go play outside » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 pm

In case anyone else is following; here's the link to the rest of a similar conversation http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/view ... sc&start=0 we unfortunately hijacked a new user post; not sure if you can work some magic on this Charles for ease of users? No worries ...

To clarify my perspective on the Dr / midwife / hospital / home birth thing; it's not just an issue of location. It's a completely different philosophy - as Storklady will attest to - so I really don't think you could pay a Dr to fill the reqs that Betsy is talking about.

Now that's 101 posts and I'm going to go watch Llaima erupt!

Oriel

Re: Giving birth in Chile

Post by Oriel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:23 pm

How can I contact "go play outside"? We are looking for a possibility for homebirth in Chile and would like to get in touch with the midwife she mentioned.

griffin

Post by griffin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm

It has been interesting reading this thread; I'm just starting to look into where I'm going to have my baby; hospital or clinic. My doctor tells me that home births are actually illegal now in Chile (or maybe just in region IV, I'm not sure). They actually have taxis full of pregnant women in labor from the rural areas dropped off daily at the hospital here. My doctor is not chilean and prefers the home birth option, so I'm pretty sure she must be correct. I haven't asked about the legality of having a midwife attend me as opposed to an ob/gyn at the hospital/clinic.

Kel

Post by Kel » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:56 pm

As you consider where to have your baby, here are some things to consider:

100 years ago, having a baby was a risky endeaver for a woman. It's a record from history that 1 in 4 women died in child birth from various complications such as bleeding or infection. This was not because they didn't have good midwives but because they didn't have the modern interventions such as IVs, Antibiotics, Transfusions, C/sections, etc. These interventions are sometimes criticized today by those who don't have a historical perspective.

Purely "Natural" childbirth realy is very risky. What other activity would you engage in if you knew you had a 1/4 chance of death? Those are worse odds than Russian Roulett!

Even today, one of the biggest causes of death during childbirth is bleeding. This is because all the body's blood is pumped through the uterus every 5-10 minutes. If the uterus really starts to bleed, one can pump out massive amounts of blood and go into shock in a matter of minutes. Therefore it is a good idea to have access to banked blood and medications to stop uterine bleeding such as pitocin, methergine and hemabate. (This is why every woman is usally typed and screened when the enter the hospital in labor.) Some problems such as Placenta abruption can require multiple units of blood as well as plateletts and fresh frozen plasma. Frequently in these cases, surgical intervention is required to finally stop the bleeding.

Most life-threatening complications are unpredictable. It is very difficult to know in advance which pregnancy will have an abruption or and accreta or fetal pelvic disproportion. Everything can be going along fine and then wham! Out of the blue there is a crisis. Just in the last 6 weeks a lady giving birth to twins died in a hospital in southern Chile. There was a public outcry against the Ob because he didn't do a c/section but attempted "natural" childbirth.

You should also know that in Chile, when a doc has a bad outcome, he can be taken to court. The result may not be just an award of money to the Plaintiff but the judge can send the doc to Jail. As a result many private docs require patients to sign away the right to sue for a bad outcome. Who can blame them for not wanting to go to jail? Its also a powerful incentive to practice on the conservative side.

Keeping these things in mind, I would recommend the following: Deliver someplace that emphasizes natural birth techniques but also has rapid access to modern interventions if necessary.
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

Oriel

Post by Oriel » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:15 pm

Sorry, but there are tons of debate about homebirth. This is not the place to discuss this. This is the same stuff than what hospitals who want customers tell the women everywhere. We have done enough research to find a hospital for birth more dangerous than homebirth. (In special cases of course one should prefer hospial birth.)