Forest fire currently raging above Valparaíso

General topics related to Living in Chile
El Lechero

Re: Forest fire currently raging above Valparaíso

Post by El Lechero » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Donnybrook wrote:I disagree that fires like this happen every year or so. Valparaíso does have fires, its major vulnerability, but not like this. In twenty-five years I haven't seen anything like this. Nothing even remotely close to it. This had to do with high winds, difficult access and, perhaps, slow reaction to the original fire. This will probably be patched up rather than fixed, we agree on that, because I don't believe the will is there to spend what would need to be spent to make Valparaíso more safe. But 11 people are dead so far, so lets bury them before we predict the future.
yeah maybe it is too soon, and I mean no disrespect, and watching from afar I am only going by what i am seeing and hearing on tele, but maybe its not every year and has never been this bad but there were fires last year and 2008 and many many others, people there are saying fires always happen and nothing is ever done now they are paying the very sad price, maybe they wouldnt need to be burying so many dead if they had of sorted things and learnt lessons from 2008 (what they are saying on tv)

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:11 pm

zer0nz wrote:Ap reports copper prices are not affected mmmkkkk?
Yeah read that too, wtf

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 pm

El Lechero wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:I disagree that fires like this happen every year or so. Valparaíso does have fires, its major vulnerability, but not like this. In twenty-five years I haven't seen anything like this. Nothing even remotely close to it. This had to do with high winds, difficult access and, perhaps, slow reaction to the original fire. This will probably be patched up rather than fixed, we agree on that, because I don't believe the will is there to spend what would need to be spent to make Valparaíso more safe. But 11 people are dead so far, so lets bury them before we predict the future.
yeah maybe it is too soon, and I mean no disrespect, and watching from afar I am only going by what i am seeing and hearing on tele, but maybe its not every year and has never been this bad but there were fires last year and 2008 and many many others, people there are saying fires always happen and nothing is ever done now they are paying the very sad price, maybe they wouldnt need to be burying so many dead if they had of sorted things and learnt lessons from 2008 (what they are saying on tv)
Never, ever form an opinion from the TV. While the moaner is being interviewed on TV, everyone else is digging themselves out. Most of the "experts" on telly are there to listen to the sound of their own oink. There are no easy solutions and all of them would cost a lot of money. Where would you house the people who lost their homes? There isn't anywhere in the area which is safer in a fire this size. Having lived in Viña, I can tell you that from Concon to Valparaíso is vulnerable to fire, always has been and always will be. The geography just makes it so. The wind patterns, the gullies, the nearby vegetation…we once had to evacuate and the fire was a good 3 kms away.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:50 pm

winds are picking up.

besides the water access problem, they were saying they could not get to fires because the streets were clogged with boyh parked cars and cars trying to flee the area.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:29 pm

I was watching the TVN news team standing by some houses and not even smoke in sight, Suddenly a huge tongue of flame appeared from the cliff beside them and everyone had to scramble. Firemen were there in minutes and military to keep people back. Going to be another busy night.

soyena

Post by soyena » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Please dont judge me for asking this while ppl are suffering from the fire. It was a planned trip and will be traveling with a 2yrsold, dont know who to ask...

Does anyone know how is it at Algarrobo? We booked a house there fromTomorrow to Wednesday.... wondering if we should cancel the trip. The owner tells me they didnt felt a thing, no smoke no nothing.

Thanks in advance

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 pm

not even close.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Posting pictures. Stinky daughter says these areas were not the worst hit. She said there were tons of young people helping. And a paco or soldier on every other corner.
Attachments
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG (77.36 KiB) Viewed 572 times

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 pm

More.
Attachments
IMG_4707.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 572 times

JHyre