News on TV in Chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
Gloria

Re: News on TV in Chile

Post by Gloria » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:15 pm

El Lechero wrote:
...... the majority are quite ignorant on a lot of things, so why would the news people put things on that people dont understand or have no interest in knowing anything about, its just playing to the masses.
Thank you very much! Priorities plays a good part in all of this. Chileans as a whole are more concerned about consumerism,( particularly on cellulars, women boots, rags, cars, to mention few) gossip, what people say about them ( this is huge), facebook, BBQing and how much subsidies they can get. Sad but that's the way it is folks, no lies about it.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

janway

Post by janway » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:39 pm

One of the local channels I get here in Uruguay doesn't need reporters. The announcer just holds up the daily newspaper so we can see the pictures and then reads the articles. Keeps costs down I am sure!

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:44 pm

janway wrote:One of the local channels I get here in Uruguay doesn't need reporters. The announcer just holds up the daily newspaper so we can see the pictures and then reads the articles. Keeps costs down I am sure!
Sounds good! You can access Chilean newspapers online if you want more in depth reporting, but no one reads them to you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:41 pm

One thing we learned from the whole snowden fiasco, is that the North American "reporters" pushing the canned Administration talking points, can make that nice lady from the North Korean media seem fair, balanced, and professional. Even the "respectable" ones, proved at best to be too chicken shit to stick their necks out to report the story.

The reporters in Chile can be really lazy as a bunch overall, but also quite a few can do some really great investigative journalism that really speaks truth to power in some very embarrassing ways. The couple that stick out in my mind, are mostly from TVN such as the investigation in to the secret illegal credit reports the banks were keeping in violation of the credit laws in Chile. Another was the core samples of concrete floors from new buildings in Santiago, that were way, way under legal limits.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:40 pm

They also found Paul Schaefer in Argentina, but I think that was Canal 13. Btw, Canal 13 cable channel has some very good programs on all things Chilean.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Gloria wrote:.... Sad but that's the way it is folks, no lies about it.
Yes, after all commercial TV, including the News, is all about giving people the content they want. Sad indeed.
Après moi, le déluge

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm

El Lechero wrote:
gringalais wrote:
admin wrote:Well, in defence of the channels this time of year, you are looking at summer vacation canned articles. The reporters go on vacation themselves, and then file crap reports about the frigen asados they went to. Happens around the sept 18th holiday also every year.
Yep, they repeat the exact same things every year! Soon we will be seeing the reports about how much money people spend in March and how everyone waits until the last minute to renew their Permiso de Circulación.
Haha that is so true, but before that we will have the return of the holiday makers to Santiago and how the roads are flowing, someone will be at the toll booths.
The fact that everyone waits till the last minute to get utiles escolar and sernac investigating and telling people to shop around. We could probably write the news bullitens for the rest of the year if we thought about it

Oh wait I forgot to mention festival de vina, for gods sake honestly like 5 hours coverage just about it not the festival, what every Tom Dick and Harry thinks of it, I cant take it anymore and its only the second day, I know its always like this and I can turn the TV off, but this must be a very Chilean thing, do any foreigners enjoy this festival?

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 pm

I don't usually watch it but put it on last night. It started at 10 and lasted until 4 am. I went to bed at midnight but all I saw was Ricky Martin. Never watch the news on Chilevision when the festival is on. It is shown on their channel so you get even more news about it.

Today at midday the news was more varied. The guy who shot a policeman who shot himself just before he was arrested, Bachelet back in town and exercising damage control with the subsecretarios. Carabineros injured in Arauco.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Donnybrook wrote:I don't usually watch it but put it on last night. It started at 10 and lasted until 4 am. I went to bed at midnight but all I saw was Ricky Martin. Never watch the news on Chilevision when the festival is on. It is shown on their channel so you get even more news about it.

Today at midday the news was more varied. The guy who shot a policeman who shot himself just before he was arrested, Bachelet back in town and exercising damage control with the subsecretarios. Carabineros injured in Arauco.
I cant believe how little coverage whats going on in Arauco gets, its pretty bad up there and what comes out in the media is hardly anything like what is happening, its literally out of control in some areas. I have a friend whose brother in law is high up in the police there and to hear what he is saying its just incredible that so many Chileans seem so ignorant about what is going on, ah well if ignorance is bliss..... saw a lot of smiles at Vina.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:53 pm

The thing is they have been playing down Arauco for years, media and government. When someone gets killed it all pops up but then things settle back down. A neighbour's son was in charge of special forces there years ago and it was bad then. I think people hope that a lot of investigating is going on behind the scenes and that the government is in control.

malma

Post by malma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 pm

I watch tele13 at work during lunch, the main problem is they try to fill a 1 and 1/2 hour slot with 20 mins of real content, that's a lot of padding out! Better than intrusos though.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 am

El Lechero wrote:
El Lechero wrote:
gringalais wrote:
admin wrote:Well, in defence of the channels this time of year, you are looking at summer vacation canned articles. The reporters go on vacation themselves, and then file crap reports about the frigen asados they went to. Happens around the sept 18th holiday also every year.
Yep, they repeat the exact same things every year! Soon we will be seeing the reports about how much money people spend in March and how everyone waits until the last minute to renew their Permiso de Circulación.
Haha that is so true, but before that we will have the return of the holiday makers to Santiago and how the roads are flowing, someone will be at the toll booths.
The fact that everyone waits till the last minute to get utiles escolar and sernac investigating and telling people to shop around. We could probably write the news bullitens for the rest of the year if we thought about it

Oh wait I forgot to mention festival de vina, for gods sake honestly like 5 hours coverage just about it not the festival, what every Tom Dick and Harry thinks of it, I cant take it anymore and its only the second day, I know its always like this and I can turn the TV off, but this must be a very Chilean thing, do any foreigners enjoy this festival?
Yeah, I know how you feel. My husband will occasionally put it on because there is a lot of potential for mockery, but even so it gets old pretty quick. The funniest has been all the women screaming, "I love you so much Ricky Martin," when it's been clear for years he isn't into women. I guess they didn't get the memo.

My husband will usually put on the pre-news programs as background noise while he's getting ready for work, the ones that start at 6. It's news, with even less news - they often spend several minutes repeating something that is trending on youtube, for example. On at least one of the channels I know they read the newspapers, mainly the front page headlines plus a summary.