Good GPS for car

General topics related to Living in Chile
at46

Re: Good GPS for car

Post by at46 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:16 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:One advantage of Dedicated GPS navigators is that they tend to have fast routing engines (separate from the routing database) compared to routing apps.
My Garmin is slow - it tells me about upcoming turns when I'm almost past them. It's really annoying in the city. I have it for sale on Mercadolibre for 30 mil, barely used. Waze reroutes faster than Google Maps and uses a lot of side streets which is actually fun coz you get to see more of the city. It also has less preference for toll roads than Google Maps.

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 am

I had intended to compare only off-line map routing. In your example, are Waze and Google off-line?

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:I had intended to compare only off-line map routing. In your example, are Waze and Google off-line?
Sorry, I didn't get that. They're both online.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 am

admin wrote:Yea, I am debating getting a dedicated GPS system for my car. Waze has been great, but my phone depends on fake GPS (cell signal, not GPS signal), so once the cell networks are gone, the functionality degrades, especially in more remote areas.
Which phone doesn't have real GPS? Just interested to know, most have GPS, Glonass, and I think Galileo support is also not uncommon now. Just triangulating base stations is a bit primitive these days.

maps.me is an offline map application, I haven't used it to drive a route yet though, since Google's navigation has improved very much over the last 12 months or so.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 am

Probably just my phone. I have an older galaxy Note 4, that has fake GPS in it. A a lot of phones a few years ago had fake GPS that depended on cell networks for positioning information.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 pm

admin wrote:Probably just my phone. I have an older galaxy Note 4, that has fake GPS in it. A a lot of phones a few years ago had fake GPS that depended on cell networks for positioning information.
Well, the spec for the Note 4 is here: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_4-6434.php and it does indicate GPS: "GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS".

The A-GPS uses the mobile phone network to get a faster fix (since just GPS can take some time, depending on where and how many satellites are visible in the sky), however, it's real GPS, just with some "assistance" from the terrestrial mobile network.

There do seem to be a lot of complaints about GPS in the Note 4, and also, it seems to be possible to turn off GPS and / or A-GPS in the phone, maybe that's what happened?
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:54 pm

For in car traveling in Chile or even on a motorcycle with faring , the head up display devise as this one comes very handy. You can secure it right on front of you and look ahead where you're going for less chance of sudden danger whilst driving. The only drag is, cost US$299 or so !

Meet HUDWAY Cast
— A head-up display device that offers a safer way to access most needed smartphone functions while behind the wheel.

The idea of head-up display devices is to show some navigation-critical information in driver’s regular line of sight, so that they won’t need to take their eyes off the road.

HUDWAY Cast sits on the dashboard and wirelessly streams your smartphone screen to a reflector lens positioned right in front of you.

https://hudwaycast.com/

Hudway go video.https://youtu.be/citAJuNKaKQ?t=2
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:00 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:54 pm
HUDWAY Cast sits on the dashboard and wirelessly streams your smartphone screen to a reflector lens positioned right in front of you.
Not yet on Amazon, but their other products are poorly rated -- especially the apps. This thing won't work without a good app.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 am

strangly i have a andriod app on my phone called torque for my bluetooth odbll computer plug, that has heads up mode built in. it works pretty good.

just set your phone on the dash face up, and it projects on the wind shield, providing all kinds of data my regular dash gauges does not. obviously works better at night.

as i recall there was a gps / trip function, mostly focused on fuel efficiency. kind of suprising something like waze does not have similar mode. it is just a reflection.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.