Exchange Student

General topics related to Living in Chile
catherinetaylor

Re: Exchange Student

Post by catherinetaylor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm

We had friends who did similar to Admin's proposal. They came down as basic tourists and enrolled in their desired school no problem. It works, though you'll have to get around that three-month visa thing.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am

Well, Miss Stinky just got on the plane. Air Canada again via Toronto, good prices and good service. Approximately 562 family members will be waiting at SCL. She starts at St Margaret's on Monday. Persistence paid off there, we got a better deal, nearly what Chileans get. We did have an "in", which certainly helped....the glories of pituto, nicht wahr?

3 Kiwi's are showing up same day, she will be in their intensive "get up to speed" class for a few weeks, then into the regular classes with her cousin. Her Spanish is much better than my German was when I did the same thing 27 years ago, she is also much more familiar with the local culture than I was. She'll do great.

This is our first one to leave, it was bitter-sweet, mostly sweet. I will miss her, she has quite the sense of humor and loves to dish out sass. No hypocrite she....she takes as well as gives. Little Stinker.

John Hyre

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:33 pm

JHyre wrote:... Approximately 562 family members will be waiting at SCL. ...

John Hyre
That's wasn't a typo was it John?

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 pm

M LH - Nah. Just hyperbole. Family is big, but perhaps not quite that big.

John Hyre

john

Post by john » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 am

JHyre wrote:Well, Miss Stinky just got on the plane. Air Canada again via Toronto, good prices and good service. Approximately 562 family members will be waiting at SCL. She starts at St Margaret's on Monday. Persistence paid off there, we got a better deal, nearly what Chileans get. We did have an "in", which certainly helped....the glories of pituto, nicht wahr?

3 Kiwi's are showing up same day, she will be in their intensive "get up to speed" class for a few weeks, then into the regular classes with her cousin. Her Spanish is much better than my German was when I did the same thing 27 years ago, she is also much more familiar with the local culture than I was. She'll do great.

This is our first one to leave, it was bitter-sweet, mostly sweet. I will miss her, she has quite the sense of humor and loves to dish out sass. No hypocrite she....she takes as well as gives. Little Stinker.

John Hyre
Congratulations John! Your daughter seems to have been well prepared to undertake this wonderful cultural and educational opportunity.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:59 am

john - thanks! She's a very good kid, we are quite proud of her.

SS - She has the talent to be a lawyer - or pretty much anything else. She is very math and science inclined and not at all interested in law....so at least one member of the family will contribute to societal productivity. I made her compete in Lincoln-Douglas debate with me coaching her. She did very well, especially for such a young competitor. She developed excellent research, analysis, writing and speaking skills, as did the other team members, so she can do non-science/math subjects quite well, but they are not her passion. Her favored majors, in order, are organic chemistry, chemical engineering and <SPAM WORD>. Given her grades and practice SAT scores, she can take her pick of majors, and likely schools. Combined with her personality, education and upbringing, if she becomes a chemist, she'll be a very articulate & well-spoken one.

No problems in Canadian customs, the flight left late late last night from Toronto. She should on the ground in two hours. I feel a bit older today, and the relative silence here is odd. But I know it is for the best.

John Hyre

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:08 pm

[quote]I feel a bit older today, and the relative silence here is odd. But I know it is for the best.
quote]
John Hyre-san,Congrats on your daughter's schooling in Chile. How good father you are, but a bit lonely now? You soon will get over it..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Hybrid Ambassador: Thank you. Between Skype (already talked to her this afternoon) and two other stinkers to keep me on my toes here in the States, I am coping.

What did I learn on Skype today? Her Spanish is better than even I thought, when forced she got fluent fast (I listened to her talking to family), which was a major point of the trip. Also: In country 4 hours, and she already has a party invitation for tonight with her cousin. Better Spanish than I thought and already partying....I think perhaps I've been had. :wink:

John Hyre

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:33 pm

[quote="Hybrid Ambassador: Thank you. Between Skype (already talked to her this afternoon) and two other stinkers to keep me on my toes here in the States, I am coping.

What did I learn on Skype today? Her Spanish is better than even I thought, when forced she got fluent fast (I listened to her talking to family), which was a major point of the trip. Also: In country 4 hours, and she already has a party invitation for tonight with her cousin. Better Spanish than I thought and already partying....I think perhaps I've been had. :wink:

John Hyre[/quote]

JHyre-san, Great for you to be practising your Castellano by Skype with your lovely stinker, what ever that means?. I'm still puzzled about your impeccable english grammer in each of your writing. You are doin' very and most excellent for a person that has been broght up on "Home Schooling method of education"? As remember the "Ajokono something used to call you.? I always tought that you have graduated from a top notch university, vs the Home Schooling.? Please explain so to satiate my curiosity?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

MC1171611

Post by MC1171611 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:41 pm

We home schoolers consistently score much higher on standardized tests, and are often preferred for entrance into top colleges and universities. While it's true that not all home schoolers take grammar, spelling, and punctuation as seriously as they should, it's quite inaccurate to pigeon-hole home schoolers as having an inferior education.

Personally, I think (and I would argue that the facts bear out) that cramming a bunch of kids into a room and forcing them into a regimen of social programming from the age of 5 is detrimental to their well-being, not to mention imagination and individuality. The whole point of government-run education is to pump out patriotic little automatons to perpetuate the power of the State. The only real-world situation where the public school classroom experience is replicated is in the penitentiary system. At least the kids get to go home every night.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Ricky-San: Again, thank you for the kind words.

I have a great many nicknames for the kids, among them "Stinkers", "Rotten Little Buggers", etc. They reciprocate with similar names for me, always with both respect and humor.

I graduated from a then-respectable suburban public high school and both undergrad and law degrees are from a state university. But I had a few advantages:

1) Educated parents who were and are very involved, quite demanding, highly ethical and very loving;

2) An excellent, excellent Lincoln-Douglas debate program in high school, with a phenomenal couple of coaches....I am still close to one of them, and to this day, largely in his honor, I too coach kids in the same with some pretty good results;

3) A voracious appetite for reading.

Bottom line, I come from middle class people (who did not start there) who have high standards and who took advantage of what this country had to offer.

It pains me to see standards rapidly degenerating. That public school is not what it once was, and public schooling overall has declined along with the surrounding culture. Lincoln-Douglas debate has devolved in the direction of what it was meant to replace, which is rapid-fire, mechanical and inarticulate Policy Debate. Fewer people read, and what they do read is of lower quality....my kids were amazed at what was considered pulp fiction in its day (e.g. - Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan novels from the early 1900's, the vocabulary and use of language therein is far beyond most comparable modern fiction). Probably worst of all, many parents now cater to misbehavior and justify low standards instead of cultivating excellence and proper conduct.

But not for the Hyre kids. For example, we have shelled out painfully to send my son to the best local boys' private school, one that emphasizes both character and academics. His third day at that school in Latin class, one of the students was slouching in his seat "Gangsta Style". The teacher was very blunt and immediately told the student that he could sit like a proper person or leave. The student, from a "high-risk" group, immediately corrected his behavior. With that sort of education he has a much better shot at life, "at risk" be damned. One is highly unlikely to see such standards in a government school. There,the bad teachers would be indifferent or view bad behavior as "part of the culture" and justify it via inferior political philosophy. The good teachers would likely say little due to fear of bad parents complaining and politically correct superiors exacting a penalty.

Where most standards and values are concerned, I prefer an older era to the one in which we now live.

John Hyre

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 pm

We home schoolers consistently score much higher on standardized tests, and are often preferred for entrance into top colleges and universities.
True as a general statement. Further, such kids seem to be well behaved. Of course, such schooling generally indicates the best advantage one could have: Caring & involved parents.

A weakness to watch for: Lack of socialization and inability to deal with society after being cloistered within a small group that is not at all like the surrounding world. Many, but not all, homeschooling parents are aware of the issue and address it. Some of the more devout Christians tend to have problems in this regard, and their children are often not prepared to deal with the surrounding society. Lacking inoculation in that regard, they sometimes fall prey to the dangers from which they have been sheltered.

But in general, I agree that homeschooling breeds superior results.

John Hyre