630 am I jump from my home window to chase a thief

General topics related to Living in Chile
Andres

Re: 630 am I jump from my home window to chase a thief

Post by Andres » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:36 pm

fraggle092 wrote:. . . Plenty of unobtrusive barbed wire round the perimeter. And a minimum of ingress points, illuminated and with cameras or at least with those cheap halogens with the IR sensors. . . .
A bit expensive for a 3 acre area. From comments in his narrative It sounds like the OP is not flush with money.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

janway

Post by janway » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:38 pm

I believe here in Uruguay you cannot use lethal force unless your life is threatened. There is a - I believe German national in jail for killing someone in his yard who was attempting to steal his car or something but because he was not attempting to break into the house, the home owner was found guilty of murder.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
MikieO wrote:ASP batons
If you find a good low cost source PM me as I will soon be on a shopping trip to the Empire.
eeuunikkeiexpat-san, if your shopping Empire trip is back to Los Angeles,CA...Don't think you need the ASP batons,I hear L.A. is pretty safe now a days..! When are you coming back home.?
These are for Chile. But I must admit, I have never been violently threatened or mugged in my 12 years here and 4 of those years were in Santiago Centro where I would walk home alone at night or early morning hours from the local (local) fuentes (sloshed). I reckon it is actually more dangerous during those hours here in this residential community of San Antonio than Santiago Centro (centro).

Mr. Pig though has some stories about Chile.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Andres wrote:A bit expensive for a 3 acre area. From comments in his narrative It sounds like the OP is not flush with money.
I know, but Its a necessary evil. And prevention is much better than a "cure" via shotguns and baseball bats. I have spent several million pesos to date on improving our security and I know from experience that deterrent measures do work. Just one of the hidden costs of doing business here.

Btw, a Chilean court would likely not have much sympathy for some gringo beating the crap out of a young flaite over a minor theft.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Andres wrote:A bit expensive for a 3 acre area. From comments in his narrative It sounds like the OP is not flush with money.
I know, but Its a necessary evil. And prevention is much better than a "cure" via shotguns and baseball bats. I have spent several million pesos to date on improving our security and I know from experience that deterrent measures do work. Just one of the hidden costs of doing business here.

Btw, a Chilean court would likely not have much sympathy for some gringo beating the crap out of a young flaite over a minor theft.
What would happen if a Thug is hanging dead from one of your _electrified fences_ will a simple sign notifying the intruder to be of the dire consequences of mortality he/she could be facing while attempting to scale over your fences.?
Will this sign be sufficient to abate the law if coming to get you, because you have caused the death by electrifying this now soul-less Thug.?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Sigma62Delta

Post by Sigma62Delta » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:24 pm

fraggle092 wrote:

No worries. The police would find the nice old butcher knife with his prints all over it. Pry bars and steel pipe are also useful. If you have the stomach for it nicking yourself with "his" blade so you have some blood on it also helps.

I could see it now. Young Flaite tries to rob wealthy gringo tourist with a butcher knife but only succeeds in slashing him but receives a crushed windpipe in return.
“It takes advantage of every passing craze and delusion of the mob to dispose of those who oppose it, and it maintains a complex and highly effective machine for launching such crazes and delusions when the supply of them lags. Mencken, Notes on Democracy

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 pm

ratbert wrote:
hugeh2o wrote: Rat way.

The Rat way is this: since there is no judicial solution, there is obviously a vacuum, and since Nature abhors a vacuum, the natural and Rat way is to make your own. The process goes something like this: You catch the thief in flagrante delicto and use a suitably stout mechanical device to alter his demonstrably worthless mortal condition, then obtain an adequate length of sufficiently capable synthetic rope, and suspend the lifeless remains from a local bridge or other appropriate public structure in a most conspicuous manner. Take special care to attach a brightly coloured placard with large and legible lettering, using a bold sans serif font, which is to be carefully affixed to the thief, for the purpose of briefly describing the fate that awaits those who make their drunken lives by stealing from others. Once word of this solution reaches the considerable mass of the resident unwashed, it likely will have the effect of deterring certain of the legion of the similarly inclined from comparable apropiación indebida for about a fortnight. Then you catch and process the next miscreant, and repeat the steps above, until the local populace has been cleansed of such vultures and thieves, a campaign which should offer amelioration opportunities for several dozen years.

//rat

Pretty disgusting solution...killing? hanging someone? You should be arrested for advocating something like this. Why am I not surprised? Because you area souless ass.

Sigma62Delta

Post by Sigma62Delta » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:
ratbert wrote:

The Rat way is this: since there is no judicial solution, there is obviously a vacuum, and since Nature abhors a vacuum, the natural and Rat way is to make your own. The process goes something like this: You catch the thief in flagrante delicto and use a suitably stout mechanical device to alter his demonstrably worthless mortal condition, then obtain an adequate length of sufficiently capable synthetic rope, and suspend the lifeless remains from a local bridge or other appropriate public structure in a most conspicuous manner. Take special care to attach a brightly coloured placard with large and legible lettering, using a bold sans serif font, which is to be carefully affixed to the thief, for the purpose of briefly describing the fate that awaits those who make their drunken lives by stealing from others. Once word of this solution reaches the considerable mass of the resident unwashed, it likely will have the effect of deterring certain of the legion of the similarly inclined from comparable apropiación indebida for about a fortnight. Then you catch and process the next miscreant, and repeat the steps above, until the local populace has been cleansed of such vultures and thieves, a campaign which should offer amelioration opportunities for several dozen years.

//rat

Pretty disgusting solution...killing? hanging someone? You should be arrested for advocating something like this. Why am I not surprised? Because you area souless ass.

Who is going to arrest him??? The cops who won't even arrest the Criminal??? ROTFLMAO!!! Got news for you. If the cops won't arrest someone for breaking the law they are not going to arrest someone for advocating breaking the law.

We could forgo all that and just hand the perp the keys to the bike like You are advocating... After all if you do not have a solution you are a part of the problem!
“It takes advantage of every passing craze and delusion of the mob to dispose of those who oppose it, and it maintains a complex and highly effective machine for launching such crazes and delusions when the supply of them lags. Mencken, Notes on Democracy

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Sigma62Delta wrote:
ratbert wrote:

//rat

Who is going to arrest him??? The cops who won't even arrest the Criminal??? ROTFLMAO!!! Got news for you. If the cops won't arrest someone for breaking the law they are not going to arrest someone for advocating breaking the law.

We could forgo all that and just hand the perp the keys to the bike like You are advocating... After all if you do not have a solution you are a part of the problem!
robert. how sweet of you to stickup for yourself. Yes, I know...two wrongs make it right.

Sigma62Delta

Post by Sigma62Delta » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Sigma62Delta wrote:
ratbert wrote:

//rat

robert. how sweet of you to stickup for yourself. Yes, I know...two wrongs make it right.
Who is Robert? Two wrongs don't make a right but neither does one wrong.

Sigma62Delta

Post by Sigma62Delta » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Actually 4 leftys equal 1 right.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote: Pretty disgusting solution...killing? hanging someone? You should be arrested for advocating something like this. Why am I not surprised? Because you area souless ass.
...and we have Thought Crime!