Car insurance first time in chile

General topics related to Living in Chile
proger

Car insurance first time in chile

Post by proger » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:47 pm

ok so I've bought toyota rav4 2017. I want to get her a complete car insurance, one that also protect from robos y portonasos.

im a real noob about how those things are working here, who is better or wrose .so any kind of help/recommendation will help.
thanks!

scandinavian

Re: Car insurance first time in chile

Post by scandinavian » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Check comparaonline cl. Look out for deducible. There are a lot of extras that might or not be useful for you, like dedicated driver, days of replacement car in case of accidents etc. I have had many different ones, with newer cars I look for one that has "repair in manufacturer approved workshop" but for most seguro that is only valid while the car is less than 3 years old.
Difficult to say which one is better or worse. You will only really know if something happens...

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:31 pm

Falabella Seguros was a disaster. Avoid.

I am with Sura at the moment for car insurance. The signup process was fine. They weren´t as expensive as others. Haven´t had a claim yet, have been with them less than a year.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm

Falabella is a broker so it might depend on which company is actually insuring the car. I got mine through Falabella and the insurer is BCI.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:39 pm

A latecomer to the conversation.......
Interesting question. Personally, I have a strong dislike for ALL insurance companies, based on my experiences in the UK.
I don't suppose they are any better here in Chile.
I only purchase the legal minimum insurance for Third-Party Claims....known as SOAP....it's very cheap but I would never go for the "Fully Comprehensive"....for my vehicle, a Volvo Xc90 with a V8 4.4.litre engine I doubt it would be 'reasonable' I only do a limited mileage it would be extremely expensive/kilometres traveled.
Applying on-line with SURA was super simple.
Of course, a lot depends on the age of your vehicle and your usage....not to mention where you live: I am fortunate in living well away from the town centres...and my "parcela" is quite secure: Quite a contrast to living in, say, Santiago.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 pm

I moved from Mapfre to Sura because they have "Seguro x KM" which is super handy during the pandemic. The upside: fully online, quick, super cheap if you don't drive much. The downside: they log your trips and driving speed with a GPS device.

But Mapfre was good and paid without any questions two idiotic incidents I caused as a first-year driver (confused the pedals and rammed the gate, then stuck on a hill in a forest and scratched the car across all 5 doors while trying to get out on my own).

proger

Post by proger » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:50 am

thanks guys!

seems like the best current offer is from chilena consolidada with deducible of 3 uf and 70% of car value for total loss at 35,000 seems to me a bit expansive for 70%... but that's the best ive found till far...