Avoid the Mall in December?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Avoid the Mall in December?

Post by Britkid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 pm

For those new to Chile, the malls are crowded in December, at least here in RM, for the whole month because of Christmas.

This year in addition to the usual overcrowding the queues will be bad because of COVID restrictions. For those of you who haven't been to the malls since they reopened a few months back: by making people queue outside the store, for various reasons, that has the effect of lengthening the queue and making everything take longer.

Not only will you waste time in a mall in December, socially distancing will be much harder, and malls will be more dangerous than they are now. When the payments for the next AFP 10% start arriving, it will probably get even worse.

However, for the rest of November, it will be safer, because it won't be as busy. The second half of the month is always quieter as people get paid at the start of the month.

So my strategy is get everything I need in November, and then don't go to malls or large stores again until January.

Also, if your area goes into quarantine and shops are shut down before Christmas...again better to plan ahead.

Also, and again this is all more for those new to Chile, deliveries to your house is always risky in Chile, but this year has been really bad. So online is not the solution in my opinion. I am still waiting for something I ordered in about July.

Suggest to make the effort to buy every Christmas present next week and then sit home in December to watch the news reports of people stuck queing 3 hours to get into Falabella the week before Christmas.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Avoid the Mall in December?

Post by admin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm

I hate the malls, without a pandemic.

Now I simply have a good excuse to stiff everyone at Christmas. :lol:

Perhaps I will just buy gift certificates, and let everyone else risk their life to go shopping. :lol: :shock:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Britkid wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 pm
For those new to Chile, the malls are crowded in December, at least here in RM, for the whole month because of Christmas.

This year in addition to the usual overcrowding the queues will be bad because of COVID restrictions. For those of you who haven't been to the malls since they reopened a few months back: by making people queue outside the store, for various reasons, that has the effect of lengthening the queue and making everything take longer.

Not only will you waste time in a mall in December, socially distancing will be much harder, and malls will be more dangerous than they are now. When the payments for the next AFP 10% start arriving, it will probably get even worse.

However, for the rest of November, it will be safer, because it won't be as busy. The second half of the month is always quieter as people get paid at the start of the month.

So my strategy is get everything I need in November, and then don't go to malls or large stores again until January.

Also, if your area goes into quarantine and shops are shut down before Christmas...again better to plan ahead.

Also, and again this is all more for those new to Chile, deliveries to your house is always risky in Chile, but this year has been really bad. So online is not the solution in my opinion. I am still waiting for something I ordered in about July.

Suggest to make the effort to buy every Christmas present next week and then sit home in December to watch the news reports of people stuck queing 3 hours to get into Falabella the week before Christmas.
In Puerto Varas at least its too late, its been packed and busier than summer lately.
Yeah I am still waiting on a laptop from Falabella too since July, I've almost given up.
Even if you get into malls, variety and selection is very limited on lots of things, the supply distributions are really evident now.
Its like I imagine a communist country was back in the day, very long lines everywhere and selection of some goods becoming less and less by the week.
Its too late for Christmas now. If you haven't done shopping now I would give up and give cash .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Timelines also closing in on Amazon items from the Empire. In the past two months, I have had excellent delivery times with their lowest priced all-in shipping. Landmark used to suck in comparison to DHL but I now find them as good as DHL so no need to pay extra.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:52 pm

My two couches arrived yesterday from Falabella. 3 months late, wrong colour, and stained! If I send it back, could be another few months before they collect it, and some more, for the correct colour to arrive. I'll get used to the colour!

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 am

Britkid wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 pm

We've been buying some baby products online and haven't had issues yet. That being said, for some items we chose "retiro en tienda" and it wasn't available until like December 11th, so I could see that not going so smoothly. None of our recent purchases have been from Falabella, who I hear is getting into some trouble now with Sernac.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:55 pm

I had a very bad experience with Falabella seguros in 2015 and have not used Falabella since then. There is no reason to use their store, since usually you can walk across to the other side of the mall and find a Ripley or Paris with the same products. If Falabella is a bit cheaper in some cases maybe there's a reason for that. Whether Falabella really is worse than other companies or I've just had bad luck, I am not sure, but I'm tempted to tell everyone to stop using them based on my experiences.

I am still waiting for something I bought from Linio, which is owned by Falabella, from months ago. I don't think I'll use Linio any more either. So now I am wondering whether to stop going to any Falabella group company altogether.

That would mean no more Tottus or Sodimac, both of them are part of Falabella group.

Sodimac I quite like, actually. The only time I had a problem with a product they refunded it efficiently. And my nearest Sodimac is nearer than the nearest Easy. I sometimes try to go to local Ferreterias but I always go there with a list of 5 or 7 things I need and they only have 1 or 2, so you end up having to go to Sodimac anyway eventually.

Perhaps my new way of thinking will be no more Falabella except for occassional low value bits and pieces from Sodimac and Tottus.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:05 pm

I have had good experience with Falabella and Sodimac order online and store pickup (Tottus as there is no Falabella here). Paris and La Polar often just do not have the selection that ordering online from Falabella has and store pickup bypasses the whole transport to domicilio issue.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 pm

so went in to Lider at the mall in Puerto Varas yesterday to do the Thanksgiving shopping.

Typically if we hit it at about 11 a.m. or so, there are very few people.

Nope, lines to get in lines, to get in to the supermarket, and no one was really keeping their distance nor enforcing any limits. I took one look at the situation and told my wife, "oh, hell no".

We went to our local grocery store in Frutillar and found everything, and with less than 40 people in the store or so. The only reason I tend to do my thanksgiving shopping at Lider is because I occasionally find some imported stuff that is really unusual; but, really not required for thanksgiving.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Looks like malls are closed tomorrow for elections as well as some supermarkets and big stores.