Should Schools Charge Less for Now?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Donnybrook

Re: Should Schools Charge Less for Now?

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Sorry for those losing their jobs or getting large pay cuts. Not good. Britkid, I thought you worked remotely here in Chile, but I don't suppose those jobs are any safer.

I was speaking to a friend who is a teacher but also head of a section of a school so he has some administrative duties as well (talking to parents).He said they had had their pay cut although I did not ask by how much. He has been working 10 hour days since March doing online classes and also whatsapp messages with parents. He is exhausted and stressed. I don't suppose anyone is "taking their child out of school" at the moment, although a percentage of parents will be behind in paying fees (there always are). It seems hard on the teachers to ask them to acquire what are new skills to many of them plus a cut in pay with the school basically taking in the same money. That, of course, may change in a few months when some may not be able to afford a private education. In short, it sucks all around for everyone.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm

I spoke to someone whose kids are in another school yesterday and he said the school gave a cut in the fees of about 10%-20% for everyone. When I told him our kids were doing 3-4 hours of video classes a day, he said that his are doing somewhat below that.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:41 pm

I have just managed to get another job. I´ll do another thread about that, or at least the parts of it that might be relevant to someone.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 pm

Back on the school topic for now, our school has now announced a discount on the monthly fees for everyone, being 20% for kids club and playgroup, 10% for pre kinder and kinder and 5% for Enseñanza Básica y Media. Those of us that already got a higher discount can keep that.

For 2021, they have said that the sign up matricula fee will be reduced by 250,000 and the utilies escolares will be somewhat lower.

The impression at the moment is no school in 2020. But too early to confirm.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 pm
Back on the school topic for now, our school has now announced a discount on the monthly fees for everyone, being 20% for kids club and playgroup, 10% for pre kinder and kinder and 5% for Enseñanza Básica y Media. Those of us that already got a higher discount can keep that.

For 2021, they have said that the sign up matricula fee will be reduced by 250,000 and the utilies escolares will be somewhat lower.

The impression at the moment is no school in 2020. But too early to confirm.
That is pretty much confirmed.

the other day on the radio one of the harder to get in to private schools was offering an open admission to anyone that could afford to go there.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 pm

San Antonio - announced today, no physical school until MARCH 2021.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

mem

Post by mem » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:16 am

I watched an interview recently where a guy was saying that that the pandemic has revealed to the world how much of a "luxury brand" higher education has evolved into over the last few decades in many countries. Again this is more geared to college/university versus primary and secondary schooling

With many colleges/unis closed the lectures are being delivered over video conferencing. MIT trained professors lecturing and interacting with several dozen students over video conferences with Q/A. Students can easily record the entire "class" for later review/study.

There could be some long term benefit to distilling the core of true education out of higher education and leaving behind all the costly pomp and circumstance that gussys up around it where in many countries people end up in near life long student loan debt to pass muster of the "luxury brand".

There is some serious introspection going on across the world about what is necessary and unnecessary when it comes to higher education. Which part of those two sides does the vast majority of cost truly come from.

Adapt or die is the watchword maxim of this era.