Banco Estado down

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Banco Estado down

Post by Britkid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:55 pm

It felt more like a 6 or a 6.5 to me as well but the strength of the earthquake is only loosely connected to the Richter figure. There are other factors like how deep it was and I am not sure what else that mean that some earthquakes of a higher Richter can feel a bit weaker, and vice versa.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:22 am

Britkid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:55 pm
It felt more like a 6 or a 6.5 to me as well but the strength of the earthquake is only loosely connected to the Richter figure. There are other factors like how deep it was and I am not sure what else that mean that some earthquakes of a higher Richter can feel a bit weaker, and vice versa.
The quake strength figures, as bandied around in the local media are pretty confusing:

Mercalli Scale vs. Richter Scale
The Mercalli Intensity Scale measures the intensity of an earthquake by observing its effect on people, the environment and the earth’s surface.

The Richter Scale measures the energy released by an earthquake using a seismograph. A base-10 logarithmic scale is obtained by calculating the logarithm of the amplitude of waves recorded by the seismograph.
So a gentle 30 second event may have a higher Richter value than a violent golpe that only lasts a few seconds due to the total amount of energy released, but the Mercalli value of the latter would be higher.
Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am

You ain't seen nothin' yet....

The following is an extract from Maria Graham's Journal of a Residence in Chile during the Year 1822 as presented to the Geological Society of London. At that time, her observations were questioned in a way that displays the prejudices of the era. The full pdf can be found here.
1.An account of some effects of the late Earthquake in Chile, Extracted from a
letter to H. WARBURTON, Esq. by Mrs. MARIA GRAHAM.

London, March 4, 1824

Dear Sir,-I send you, at your request, some extracts from my journal concerning the great Earthquakes which visited Chile, during my residence in that country, in 1822-3.

The first shock, by which the towns of Valparaiso, Melipilla, Quillota, and Casa Blanca, were almost destroyed, and Santiago much damaged, was felt at a quarter past ten o’clock in the evening [p. 237] of Tuesday, the 19th November, 1822. It lasted three minutes. I was then residing about a mile from the coast of Quintero, situated on a promontory, about thirty miles to the north of Valparaiso. It was a very clear, still, and moon light night; the aurora australis had been visible, and some lightning had been seen over the Andes. In a few minutes after the first shock, there was another, less severe; and from that time the whole night long successive shocks were felt twice in every five minutes, each lasting from half to a minute. On the morning of the 20th, a little before two, at four, and a quarter before six o’clock, there were three more violent shocks, and the earth continued trembling in the intervals: this day was hot and sunny, with wind; the night was clear and windy. On the morning of the 21st, at half past two, ten minutes before three, a quarter before eight, a quarter past nine, and half past ten; and in the afternoon, at a quarter past one, and at two, violent shocks were felt: the weather of this day was like the preceding. On the morning of the 22nd, at half past four, half past seven, and a quarter past nine, there were violent shocks. A little before ten, three successive loud explosions were heard, like the sound of heavy artillery; the earth trembling very much after each explosion. At eleven there was another violent shock, and between that and one o’clock there were three slight ones; the earth then remained quiet until half past seven: this day there was a thick fog, with cold drizzling rain. On 23rd the shocks were less violent and frequent. On the 24th there were continual Earthquakes until eleven at night. On the 25th there was a severe shock, at a quarter past eight in the morning, and others until a little before ten. On the morning of the 26th, at a quarter before three, there was a shock, which lasted nearly two minutes: this day we had a violent northerly wind, with rain, which was considered very unusual at this season. During my stay in Chile, from this time until the 18th of January, 1823, continual Earthquakes, more or less severe, were felt every day. Those on the 10th and 25th of December, were the most violent after that of the 19th November. I have learned that after my departure the Earthquakes continued, that they were very violent last July, and had not ceased altogether so late as last September.
https://trowelblazers.com/maria-graham/
https://blogs.egu.eu/network/volcanicde ... hile-1822/
Après moi, le déluge