Chileans travelling on non Chilean passport

General topics related to Living in Chile
bow26

Chileans travelling on non Chilean passport

Post by bow26 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 am

Hi All,

I'm sure I've seen discussions on this previously but I can't find anything using the search function. It would be good to get an updated view in any case.

Basically I am sure if you are Chilean you can only enter/leave Chile using your Chilean passport. My daughter who was born in the UK, can't get a Chilean passport and doesn't yet have a RUT (it takes 10 months to be issued once you register the birth with the Chilean consulate in London). We need to travel to Chile before the 10 months (plus however long it takes for the passport is issued) is up; the guy in the Consulate who does passports tells me it's not a problem because she can enter using her other passport with no problems... :mrgreen:

Has anyone got any recent experience of doing this and were there any problems at the airport either arriving/leaving?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Gloria

Re: Chileans travelling on non Chilean passport

Post by Gloria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 am

If your daughter was born in the UK, it´s not necessary to get her a chilean passport unless she was naturalized as a chilean. I have dual citizenship, so when I travel I use my chilean passport when I leave and enter Chile and US passport when I enter and leave the US. You said...." the guy in the Consulate who does passports tells me it's not a problem because she can enter using her other passport with no problems... :mrgreen: " Tell him to put it in writing!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 am

Well, if she does not have a Chilean RUT or passport yet, then technically (as far as the bureaucracy is concerned) she is not a Chilean.

I would not worry too much about it. Explain the situation if the PDI asks at the boarder, just in case it does show in the system on her arrival.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 am

My daughter was born in Chile. 10 years ago she traveled out of Chile on her Chilean passport. We returned to Chile last year. Her Chilean passport had expired, so she entered with her US passport with no problem. Once in the country, we got her carnet and passport renewed. It's much easier to do in country than through a consulate.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 pm

FYI from Timatic:
- Nationals of Chile are allowed to enter with an expired
passport or other documents accepted for entry that are
expired.

- Residents of Chile are allowed to enter with an expired
Permanent National ID Card (Cedula de Identidad Para
Extranjeros con Permanencia Definitiva) if not having been
outside of Chile for longer than one year.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

bow26

Post by bow26 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks all, useful info, and since we’re still only 4 months into the 10 likelihood is that she doesn’t come up as Chilean on the systems yet.

Gloria - the thought did cross my mind to suggest not registering her as Chilean but since my main reason would have been to save the 100USD passport fee every 5 years it wouldn’t have gone down well with my wife :lol:

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:37 pm

bow26 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Gloria - the thought did cross my mind to suggest not registering her as Chilean but since my main reason would have been to save the 100USD passport fee every 5 years it wouldn’t have gone down well with my wife :lol:
:thumright: might as well. Chilean passport cost about US$ 190.00 and only lasts 5 years with a lot less pages than the US. In a year or so price will go up and the hassle may be greater. Sometimes we think the grass is greener on the other side but......we could be very wrong. :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Here's another twist/complication.

Both of my daughters are dual Chilean/US Citizens and we keep both passports for them.

Last time their Chilean passports expired we went to the Chilean Consulate in Houston for replacements. They had just installed a new computerized passport printing machine that wasn't functioning properly. And it turned out that there was some kind of strike or holiday in Chile so there was no one back in Santiago to answer the phone and help them get the machine running properly.

After messing around for a couple hours the consular official finally gave up and gave us hand-written consular passports for them to use with a 1-year expiration date if I remember.

Shortly after we took a short Christmas-New Years trip to visit family in Chile. No problems entering Chile, just the normal routine quick check and scan of passports that they do every time.

However when we showed up at the airport to leave on Jan 2nd the immigrations exit check at the airport would not let us pass with the consular passports. They told us they were supposed to be used just to return to the country and then we were supposed to replace them with regular passports. Which no one at the Consulate or at the immigrations when entering the country ever told us. They were refusing to let us leave on the consular passports and wouldn't let us leave using the girl's US passports either. Seriously. We were sitting in the little room up until our flight was starting to board while my wife was arguing with everyone and asking to see supervisors who weren't around (holiday). Finally someone in charge showed up, listened to the story, and waved us on. We boarded with about 10 minutes to spare.

That was really my one and only serious headache with Chilean bureaucracy.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:48 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Don't heave a sight of relief just yet. :mrgreen:

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Gloria wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:48 pm
texasdiver wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Don't heave a sight of relief just yet. :mrgreen:
Well, in the past 10 years we mostly just visit on vacation every year. But my wife's parents are now in their late 80s so estate issues are soon looming. Also potentially elder care issues and all else that comes with caring for elderly parents from afar. My wife's parents own about 10 properties scattered about Santiago and Renaca so I have no doubt we'll be dealing with bureaucracy at some point when/if we start to dispose of those.

bow26

Post by bow26 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 am

Dealing with PDI and Consulates is a walk in the park compared to what you’ve just described!

Well we are now back from Chile, when we arrived PDI didn’t even bat an eyelid that our daughter didn’t have a Chilean passport when everyone else in the queue with her did!!! We weren’t there long enough to do it at the Registro Civil so now we are in the process of trying to get an appointment at the London Consulate :shock:

They never make it easy!