International shipping unreliable

General topics related to Living in Chile
scandinavian

Re: International shipping unreliable

Post by scandinavian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:11 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:46 pm
Aren't they already U.S. prices?
Does Aduana now charge tax on shipping charges also?
You pay US price + shipping + tax + customs clearance.
I assume that shipping, tax and customs will be cheaper if / when Amazon operate fully in Chile

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm

Today I received an item dispatched via USPS Airmail Economy on the 9th September last year. That took 18 weeks and was the oldest outstanding item I had. So Correos are still delivering, its just increasingly taking longer.

By contrast, an item purchased via Amazon on Dec. 24 arrived on Jan 3.....
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm
Today I received an item dispatched via USPS Airmail Economy on the 9th September last year. That took 18 weeks and was the oldest outstanding item I had.
That's major! I think we should celebrate and have " un asaíto" (chilean lingo) = asadito :lol: Congrats!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Gloria, but I dont think that the arrival of 2 metres of glass fibre stove gasket strip really deserves an asado.... :)
Après moi, le déluge

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

at46 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm
Conspiracy theory: Amazon throttling regular post shipments out of China. For the first time in a few years here my latest Aliexpress purchases sent Chinapost / Hong Kong post were lost. The ones purchased on Ali but coming out of their European warehouses via European postal services get through within a couple of weeks.

Edit: could be Falabella, too.
So, to confirm or refute my conspiracy theory about Amazon throttling others' shipments into Chile, I did an experiment buying the same item from Amazon and iherb.com, shipped with the same carrier - DHL. After 2.5 months in the mail, I now consider the iherb shipment officially lost. The Amazon shipment, on the other hand, I got two days before their estimated delivery date.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm

at46 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm
at46 wrote:
Conspiracy theory: Amazon throttling regular post shipments out of China. For the first time in a few years here my latest Aliexpress purchases sent Chinapost / Hong Kong post were lost. The ones purchased on Ali but coming out of their European warehouses via European postal services get through within a couple of weeks.

So, to confirm or refute my conspiracy theory about Amazon throttling others' shipments into Chile, I did an experiment buying the same item from Amazon and iherb.com, shipped with the same carrier - DHL. After 2.5 months in the mail, I now consider the iherb shipment officially lost. The Amazon shipment, on the other hand, I got two days before their estimated delivery date.
Do you see any gun boats with Amazon logo running interference on other incoming ships? Or maybe Amazon F16's blocking the arrival of competing carriers? I doubt it.

What I see an organized crime ring that demands payment every time some shipment comes onto Chilean shores. And those same mafia-like criminals gladly accept payment from Amazon, which Amazon makes the consumer pay, to make the shipment go through their warehouses faster. These criminals call themselves "customs agents." They are backed up by other thugs with guns. The gunman call themselves "PDI." They both claim to be part of a larger crime ring that claim to "protect" people, and call themselves "government."

Government takes a lot of money from people, so that they can dominate the first 18-25 years of everyone's life in government propaganda camps called "schools." They pound in the belief that without them, there would be chaos and violence. And after spending so much time under that propaganda in such a formative position in life, most people just believe the claims. And so they grudgingly surrender about half of their every working day, working not for themselves, but solely for the benefit of this crime ring. People actually believe the propaganda, even though their eyes tell them that most of the violence by far is perpetrated by the government mafia.

So maybe if there's some dirty dealing being done, which I don't doubt, we can pin the blame on the only organized crime rings that have the firepower necessary to pull off such a mighty swindle?

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm

at46 wrote:
at46 wrote:

Oh, yeah. And those thugs called customs agents have ZERO incentive to do their job well and make legitimate shipments come through faster. Why? Because they have a monopoly on the "give me cash and I'll let you have your stuff" racket. There can be no monopolies without a lot of firepower to enforce the monopoly.

The only way you can get that kind of fire power is by forcing virtually all defenseless people to give them a big share of their productivity. Corporations can't come even close to affording that kind of military strength. Not even Amazon. If you want a monopoly, you have to socialize the cost of all that firepower, and the only way to do that is to buy some politicians and/or bureaucrats.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Maker42 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm
at46 wrote:
at46 wrote:

Do you see any gun boats with Amazon logo running interference on other incoming ships? Or maybe Amazon F16's blocking the arrival of competing carriers? I doubt it.

What I see an organized crime ring that demands payment every time some shipment comes onto Chilean shores. And those same mafia-like criminals gladly accept payment from Amazon, which Amazon makes the consumer pay, to make the shipment go through their warehouses faster. These criminals call themselves "customs agents." They are backed up by other thugs with guns. The gunman call themselves "PDI." They both claim to be part of a larger crime ring that claim to "protect" people, and call themselves "government."

Government takes a lot of money from people, so that they can dominate the first 18-25 years of everyone's life in government propaganda camps called "schools." They pound in the belief that without them, there would be chaos and violence. And after spending so much time under that propaganda in such a formative position in life, most people just believe the claims. And so they grudgingly surrender about half of their every working day, working not for themselves, but solely for the benefit of this crime ring. People actually believe the propaganda, even though their eyes tell them that most of the violence by far is perpetrated by the government mafia.

So maybe if there's some dirty dealing being done, which I don't doubt, we can pin the blame on the only organized crime rings that have the firepower necessary to pull off such a mighty swindle?
Wow, did the words 'conspiracy theory' rattle you up? I didn't expect any of that in response to my post. And it's not even a full moon :)

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 am

at46 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Wow, did the words 'conspiracy theory' rattle you up? I didn't expect any of that in response to my post. And it's not even a full moon :)
:D No, and nothing personal at46. I realize history is full of conspiracies, and our modern society has not grown beyond that.

I guess what "triggered" me was blaming a conspiracy on an enterprise that was obviously caused by (as usual) government. It's nothing personal. I just see this as an extremely common occurrence that has to be very clearly corrected wherever possible. I believe this is an extremely dangerous path. If statists can successfully shift the blame from government to the "free market," the solution is a more powerful and tyrannical government, which will be very bad for everybody.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:23 am

My point is that mail worked fine in Chile till about 8-10 months ago - I haven't had a single item lost over four years, even though some took a couple of months to get here. Then around 8-10 months ago there was talk of Amazon coming to Chile (whatever that means) and suddenly right around that time mail delivery simply stopped. Out of six packages I only got one over this period. I thought they're throttling only Aliexpress as their obvious biggest competitor, but no, my experiment with iherb.com showed they're targeting everybody.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm

at46, 2.5 months is nothing. If you review earlier posts in the thread, you see you have to wait at least 6 months before counting something as lost.

And just because Amazon has the money to bribe customs officials to the front of the line doesn't mean Amazon is blocking anything. It just means they're getting priority.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm

There you go, Amazon getting priority. Good for recipient bunch, the more clout they got the better the delivery time..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.