Dakar 2013

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3781
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

gringalais wrote:It's Monterey, California. Monterrey is in México. Little pet peeve of mine, I used to live in Monterey.
OK, OK, gringalais-san,Did you rubbed elbows with the Star? I am talkin' the Monterey peninsula and its famed Laguna Seca race course built using the Yamaha philantrophic funding in contribution and in appreciation of the CA racer for Yamaha the great Wayne Rainy whom became paraplegic due to his accident in the Italian Moto GP race, convinced Yamaha to pump in the money to Re-Build the race course, the one closer to that hip place called Carmel where Clint Eastwood lives..That's the one I meant, not the Monterrey of Mexico.Thanks for rectifying it..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

john
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 6130
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:11 am
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by john » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 pm

gringalais wrote:It's Monterey, California. Monterrey is in México. Little pet peeve of mine, I used to live in Monterey.

Yes, it's my fault for compounding Rickey-san's spelling error. Oops! I have made many trips to the beautiful Monterey Bay area, and enjoyed them all. I wonder how many forum members know that 'Monterey Jack' cheese is named after Monterey (my understanding is that it originated in Carmel Valley)?
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
gringalais
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:09 am
Location: La Reina

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by gringalais » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:23 am

I never went to Laguna Seca, not much into racing. I lived there for about 2 years studying at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. I have been to Clint's pub but never met him. It must be about 11 years since I last visited. Gorgeous area, I am glad I had the opportunity to live there for a while as a student. Otherwise it is almost impossible, given the high cost of living and lack of jobs.

john
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 6130
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:11 am
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by john » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:28 am

gringalais wrote:I never went to Laguna Seca, not much into racing. I lived there for about 2 years studying at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. I have been to Clint's pub but never met him. It must be about 11 years since I last visited. Gorgeous area, I am glad I had the opportunity to live there for a while as a student. Otherwise it is almost impossible, given the high cost of living and lack of jobs.
Good choice of school! I think you are referring to the Hog's Breath Inn, which Clint Eastwood sold many years ago. I met him quite a number of years ago, sort of, in the restaurant at his Mission Ranch resort in Carmel. I was having dinner with my wife, daughter, and son-in-law when Clint walked into the dining room and proceeded to make the rounds at each table. He introduced himself when he came to our table, asked us where we lived, and inquired how satisfied we were with the food and service. He was very charming and appeared to be very interested in our answers; I found out later that he made a regular habit of interacting with diners in the restaurant.
Yes, there are few places more beautiful than the Monterey Bay area, which is why it is so expensive to live there. At least you have very fond memories of the time you spent there.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3781
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm

ratbert wrote:Meanwhile, back at the Dakar:

One French rider dead after colliding with.... carabineros vehicle.

An earlier accident in the race took place in Tacna and resulted in the death of a chilean national.

Chilean Ignacio Casale won the quad vehicle classification in the first segment within Chile in this year's race. That makes him one of three Chilean racers to win an "etapa" in the Dakar. The others were Francisco “Chaleco” López and Carlo De Gavardo.
OK, Roberto-San, Which of the Manufacturers participate in the "Dakar of the South" Race.? Isn't it called that.? or just simply "Dakar".? Also, do they run all categories.? Iam not too well versed in the sanctionings and its rules..
I hope that all the Biggies are there..Will see if Televising the race somewhere in the states....
Keep up the good job,!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Now that the unlimited bikes are gone, deaths and injuries are suppose to drop.................
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
carica
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by carica » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Meanwhile the Dakar caravans have plowed through petroglyphs in the desert. Watch the sky for falling rocks then Rbrt!

Image

En un mundo al revés..
Debemos recordar que normalmente cuando se producen delitos de destrucción de sitios arqueológicos es el Consejo de Defensa del Estado quien persigue a los culpables y demanda indemnizaciones a través de la Acción por Daño Ambiental. Sin embargo, en este caso el Consejo de Defensa se ve impedido de accionar porque son organismos públicos quienes están detrás de la promoción y desarrollo del Dakar en tierras chilenas, quedando entonces estos delitos en una absoluta impunidad.
http://www.universitarioinformado.com/d ... d-chilena/

HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3781
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 pm

ratbert wrote:Meanwhile, back at the races.

The Dakar Rally continued from Chile into Argentina, from Calama CL to Salta AR, involving changes of more than 3000 meters of elevation during that stage. But the torrential rains in northwestern Argentina caused changes and delays. The truck category for this stage was cancelled entirely. The other vehicle categories will resume at noon.

Chilean moto rider Francisco "Chaleco" López (originally from Curicó) is shining. He was in second place for the seventh stage and remains in second place overall for motos. He has a good chance of winning this rally. López is part of the Bordone Ferrari racing team and is riding a KTM 450 Rally. Fotito from Bordone Ferrari.
moto_lopez.jpg
Roberto-San, I can see that you are an devoute KTM enthusiast,Can I entice you to perhaps icline abit towars the famed brands such as the Yamahas.? Ahem! I mentioned Yamaha 'cause it is a terrific all mighty brand,and of course it belongs to the Toyota-groups er, let me re-phrase it to this way: An excerpt borrowed from Mr.SC of the universe.
Toyota doesn't own Yamaha per se, but they are a major stock holder in the company. The two have teamed up on several ventures and it appears that their R&D departments work together a lot on special, race-related projects, and various limited-run vehicles. They remain separate corporations, but they are in bed together a lot of the time..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Motor_Company
or the Hondas,Suzukis,and the Kawasakis..They all make a terrific Bikes be them on asphalt or off-roads use..The KTM being an Austrian makes and not Germans but durable and a so-so performances so its all OK but the nation of the rising Sun can out perform the KTMs hands down! Just look at the racings result of US or Europe or any other part of the sphere, those 4 brands I already mentioned are way superior.. The facts tells it all..I know, you are going to tell me to look at 2012 AMA Dirt Bike's championship result indicates that the KTM won it for the 1st time in the history of Americas off road racing, but whatch out, the Japanese marques are coming back in full force.! He,He,He,he, How about it, Roberto-San?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3781
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:07 pm

ratbert wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Roberto-San, I can see that you are an devoute KTM enthusiast,Can I entice you to perhaps icline abit towars the famed brands such as the Yamahas.? Ahem!
HydridAmbassador-chan,

Not a KTM fan at all. I used to work for the North American Yamaha distributor engineering division. Also worked at the Yamaha factory in Shizuoka-ken. In fact I was the product racetrack-tester that sent the XS750 back to the drawing board after revealing a major design flaw in 1975. The engineer at the plant in Iwata responsible for correcting the deficiency was Junichi Yoshida. His boss/our boss was kachoo "Tak" Takahashi. Perhaps you know him. I worked for Tak in Kaigai (overseas - ( 海外 ) ( let do in "Kanji" instead of Katakana ) service department in Japan. I am attaching a picture of Takahashi from another test we were doing, for early XS650 models. The other tester in the picture is very ugly forbidden ninja test engineer you must not look at.
( 海外 ) ( let do in "Kanji" instead of Katakana )
OK Roberto-Oniichan.!..I stand corrected, a Yamaha men prior to now. I don't know the Men but.The developer Engineers were I think: Mr,Terai and Mr,MIzutani and the latter was the "Engine Guy"and the supervising developing Engineer were Takahashi-San?. Yeah, I remember those years when Yamaha had to break away from the 2 Cycle Powers or the Big bang Power but very dirty,the World was awakening to the clean Environment! and getting seriously into the Clean and efficient 4 Strokers,it was the requirenment of the times... So then you are a true Engineer and Mechanical at it? That explains alot of your way of writing,very indeed a Petrol Head.!
The TX750.GX750.XS1100. were to follow. Yamahas were way behind the mighty Hondas..and they desperateluy need to catch up to them. Honda had 1000 Engineers working at all the time, vs the Yamahas I think had a few dozen at different projects. I was a Toyota men assigned to assist in WRC racing team operation in every facet of it,spent a few years in Cologne,Germany. The 80's were very crutial for Yamaha in the race to reach the Engineering excellence of the mighty Hondas, Yamaha was perhaps 10~15 years behind then the best 4 stroke Engine manufacturer of the World. It all started in the 70's with the Bikes you had participated in developing...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

weston881
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by weston881 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 pm

ajoknoblauch wrote:Dakar is an environmental and archaeological disaster that should be expelled from South America. It is time to end the era of fossil-fuel "sports."
Have you ever flown on a commercial jet? If you have, your flight on that jet used up more fuel than I could ever use in my fossil fuel sport in 10 lifetimes.

Now I agree with you in regards to using fossil fuels, that's old technology. We could be using water as the fuel source in our combustion engines, the tech exists today and a motor could be converted for approximately 2-3k US. Its time that humans make an evolutionary leap instead of staying in the blame paradigm. All of the answers to our problems exist today, but so many people are more concerned with being right than actually fixing the problems.

weston881
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by weston881 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
ratbert wrote:Meanwhile, back at the races.

The Dakar Rally continued from Chile into Argentina, from Calama CL to Salta AR, involving changes of more than 3000 meters of elevation during that stage. But the torrential rains in northwestern Argentina caused changes and delays. The truck category for this stage was cancelled entirely. The other vehicle categories will resume at noon.

Chilean moto rider Francisco "Chaleco" López (originally from Curicó) is shining. He was in second place for the seventh stage and remains in second place overall for motos. He has a good chance of winning this rally. López is part of the Bordone Ferrari racing team and is riding a KTM 450 Rally. Fotito from Bordone Ferrari.
moto_lopez.jpg
Roberto-San, I can see that you are an devoute KTM enthusiast,Can I entice you to perhaps icline abit towars the famed brands such as the Yamahas.? Ahem! I mentioned Yamaha 'cause it is a terrific all mighty brand,and of course it belongs to the Toyota-groups er, let me re-phrase it to this way: An excerpt borrowed from Mr.SC of the universe.
Toyota doesn't own Yamaha per se, but they are a major stock holder in the company. The two have teamed up on several ventures and it appears that their R&D departments work together a lot on special, race-related projects, and various limited-run vehicles. They remain separate corporations, but they are in bed together a lot of the time..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Motor_Company
or the Hondas,Suzukis,and the Kawasakis..They all make a terrific Bikes be them on asphalt or off-roads use..The KTM being an Austrian makes and not Germans but durable and a so-so performances so its all OK but the nation of the rising Sun can out perform the KTMs hands down! Just look at the racings result of US or Europe or any other part of the sphere, those 4 brands I already mentioned are way superior.. The facts tells it all..I know, you are going to tell me to look at 2012 AMA Dirt Bike's championship result indicates that the KTM won it for the 1st time in the history of Americas off road racing, but whatch out, the Japanese marques are coming back in full force.! He,He,He,he, How about it, Roberto-San?
I am a huge fan of Yamaha and Toyota and have been a loyal customer for decades. I must say that the Japanese are falling behind in the motorcycle world. Honda is just too cumbersome and takes too long to make a decision. They are also myopic in their views and stand on their principles to the detriment of the brand. Yamaha was able to close the sales gap on Honda by being exactly the opposite and pushing new technology. However they have gone a bit too far and over-engineered many of their products at the expense of their tried and true products. Suzuki, well they are just hanging on and Kawasaki either hits a homerun or they don't swing at all.

You may ask where these opinions are founded and I would tell you from many years riding/racing motorcycles and from also working in the industry. Its hard for me to say this but if I have to buy my next bike, it may actually be a KTM. The only real shortcomings they have at this point is with suspension. KYB and Showa are still far superior in this regard.

I look forward to continuing this conversation with you Hybrid San

aspendirtbikes
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: Aspen, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by aspendirtbikes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Buy the KTM.

I am totally biased in my opinion. :) Totally.

We have KTMs, Kawas, Yamahas, Hondas, and Suzukis in the fleet - but prefer the KTMs for higher performance riders in the mountains. And sand. Anything off road actually. :?

Suspension is an issue but you would have yours spec'd out anyway. There are some guys doing great work with suspensions around the US and in Chile too.

Kiko has his suspension done at KTM Aspen by Mike Thuillier. He's doing the bikes for several enduro racers also. But you have to have someone local to you who will work with you to tweak it out to get the performance you need! You know that - sorry!

Weston881 when do you get here? We head back to Colorado in two weeks. I think (hope!) the bike will ship out this week.

Post Reply