Dakar 2013

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
wardo1234

Re: Dakar 2013

Post by wardo1234 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

ratbert wrote:Dakar race 2013, Lima to Santiago. Segment in Chile for today. Stage 5: Arequipa to Arica. Subsequent stages to pass through Calama, Salta (Argentina) and as far south as Córdoba in Argentina, then heading back into Chile near Copiapó, with the last segment running from La Serena to Santiago.

Ignacio Pernoroto Siempreverde, a spokesman for the chilean environmentalist coalition, criticized the event and indicated that it will obliterate archeological sites in Chile and Argentina, cause the extinction of the endangered chorizo lizard, change the course of rivers, annoy the guanacos, alter the climate of the Atacama, introduce plague and famine, generate massive earthquakes, and cause huge rocks to fall from the sky.

Ahh the chorizo lizard.... Is this what they make the delicious choripan with?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Roberto-San, It comes as of surprise that you are an aficionado of the WRC isn't it?
Or is the Dakar event not being sanctioned by WRC?..I love the Rallie's spectacular racing.!
I have seen many in Europe and also in Hokkaido, Japan as well. Like the Moto GP races,the AMA
USoA sanctions as well.The SBK's, The Formula Ones,The Le Man's 24 heurs, The Indy series, Despite no stupid
going round and round NASCAR tin tops..! It is just absurd..in my view. So which form of Motorised sport
do you like.?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:27 pm

ratbert wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: So which form of Motorised sport do you like.?
Fast and filthy.
OK, then it must be theUS midget car races in red coloured dirts of the deep south, truelly an American sport!
They are fast and dirty, also going, round and round and more circles, but really dirty!

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:44 pm

ratbert wrote:

Ignacio Pernoroto Siempreverde, a spokesman for the chilean environmentalist coalition, criticized the event and indicated that it will obliterate archeological sites in Chile and Argentina, cause the extinction of the endangered chorizo lizard, change the course of rivers, annoy the guanacos, alter the climate of the Atacama, introduce plague and famine, generate massive earthquakes, and cause huge rocks to fall from the sky.

Segment in Chile for today. Stage 5: Arequipa to Arica...
~
these "problems" would be very simple to resolve...
the time to act is NOW, only today will work...
route all racers thru those border mine fields that robert has incessantly warned us about...
:|
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
ratbert wrote:
I thought that the moto Gp at Laguna Seca was fun until I went to Ulster and watched this insanity... full screen, speakers up :shock: yeah baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU-ynRoqDEs
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

weston881

Post by weston881 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm

On the Moto GP subject, anyone know anything further about the effort to build an F1/Moto Gp circuit near Santiago? I read a story about it a month or so ago and hope that it happens!

john

Post by john » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:04 am

MikieO wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
ratbert wrote:
I thought that the moto Gp at Laguna Seca was fun until I went to Ulster and watched this insanity... full screen, speakers up :shock: yeah baby!

Thanks for sharing! As a boy growing up in Northern Ireland, I attended a few Ulster (Dundrod) GP road races with my father, who was a racing fan.

Early in my working career, I met an Englishman (John Griffiths) who had participated in Ulster GP's and Isle of Man TT's in the 1950's and early 1960's. At the time John and I met, we were both working for TRW in Redondo Beach, CA as process engineers. John told me that his motorbike racing career had been cut short as a result of an accident in the Ulster GP. He said he had lost control going around a corner and had landed half-way up a telegraph pole. When he woke up, after 5 days in a coma, he was in a bed in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast (all bandaged up with many broken bones and internal injuries). Many weeks passed before John was well enough to sit up in bed. He had a vague memory (he was heavily sedated) of a nurse asking him questions (soon after he had woken up) and was curious to see what was in his medical chart, which was at the bottom of the bed. He proceeded to read the chart and discovered that the entry recorded under religious affiliation said Protestant Atheist. It seems that when the nurse asked John what his religious affiliation was he must have told her he was an atheist. But, at that time, living in Northern Ireland meant that you had to be either a Catholic or a Protestant (no surprise to those who are familiar with the sectarian history of Northern Ireland) and, therefore, the nurse had come up a with a creative solution to the dilemma, namely Protestant Atheist.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:47 pm

MikieO wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
ratbert wrote:

MikieO -san, I thoght that Pig can not ride ugh, or is it Pig flying high? Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterrey CA.
I never visualised you to be a Bike enthusiast Crowd.! More like, ever smiling Constructor types.! So are you active now?
Meaning, ready for House construction assignment? Oh and I have an Idea, when and if, My House being built possibly in Chile somewhere, a Friend told me to bringing in with me a friend and Dutch Electrician to task him with the wiring job of the House to be built.? Feaseble or not? Whatch ya think? Probably much more secure, Job done once and no re-wiring if commisioned to the Chilean Electricians Maestros, if such Title exist in Chile.

john

Post by john » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:55 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
MikieO wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
ratbert wrote:

MikieO -san, I thoght that Pig can not ride ugh, or is it Pig flying high? Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterrey CA.
I never visualised you to be a Bike enthusiast Crowd.! More like, ever smiling Constructor types.! So are you active now?
Meaning, ready for House construction assignment? Oh and I have an Idea, when and if, My House being built possibly in Chile somewhere, a Friend told me to bringing in with me a friend and Dutch Electrician to task him with the wiring job of the House to be built.? Feaseble or not? Whatch ya think? Probably much more secure, Job done once and no re-wiring if commisioned to the Chilean Electricians Maestros, if such Title exist in Chile.
Rickey-san,

As a footnote: It was widely reported that actor James Dean was driving his Porsche 550 Spyder to Monterrey (to participate in a race at the Laguna Seca Raceway, allegedly scheduled for the following day) when he was killed in a head-on accident, on September 30, 1955. These reports turned out to be inaccurate as the Laguna Seca Raceway didn't open until the summer of 1957. James Dean was on his way to Salinas to participate in a race being held on the runways of the Salinas airport, which was scheduled for the day after his tragic death.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Meaning, ready for House construction assignment? Oh and I have an Idea, when and if, My House being built possibly in Chile somewhere, a Friend told me to bringing in with me a friend and Dutch Electrician to task him with the wiring job of the House to be built.? Feaseble or not? Whatch ya think? Probably much more secure, Job done once and no re-wiring if commisioned to the Chilean Electricians Maestros, if such Title exist in Chile.[/quote]

H.A. san, have you never heard of a bike being referred to as a hog? :mrgreen:
Sure, I'd use the Dutchman but to get the service to the house, you'll need a "certified" Chilean electrician. So if I were doing your job I'd get a quote from a local guy to bring power in and terminated at the main breaker. That's it. Use a competent sparky for everything downstream. I am close, maybe 8 mo away from closing my operation down 100% in the US and then deciding whether to sell one of my beach lots in region v or build a motel... yup.
If I do the former, I'll put up a site to go with the .cl domain name I bought a couple of yrs ago and do high end projects but from a management standpoint.
If the latter, I'll be looking for a leopardskin hatband.
I sold my last bike (a Kawasaki concours) about 2 yrs ago, drove it to Vegas and had a blast on the way. :shock:
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 pm

MikieO wrote:MikieO -san, I thoght that Pig can not ride ugh, or is it Pig flying high? Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterrey CA.
H.A. san, have you never heard of a bike being referred to as a hog? :mrgreen:
Sure, I'd use the Dutchman but to get the service to the house, you'll need a "certified" Chilean electrician. So if I were doing your job I'd get a quote from a local guy to bring power in and terminated at the main breaker. That's it. Use a competent sparky for everything downstream. I am close, maybe 8 mo away from closing my operation down 100% in the US and then deciding whether to sell one of my beach lots in region v or build a motel... yup.
If I do the former, I'll put up a site to go with the .cl domain name I bought a couple of yrs ago and do high end projects but from a management standpoint.
If the latter, I'll be looking for a leopardskin hatband.
I sold my last bike (a Kawasaki concours) about 2 yrs ago, drove it to Vegas and had a blast on the way. :shock:[/quote]
Hmmm, good to hear your end of the story..MikieO-San, So you were a Hog men prior to civilising your self into a Kawi-Bikes. A kawasaki Concours eh, great Bike thus so far. Yes I have heard of a Hog Bike, it must be the Harleys/Indians right.?
Hmmm, The Motel Business could be very florishing indeed,do you need a Hotel men? I could be your Guy.! He,He,he,
Jokes aside, how soon again before you start doing the incorporation of Construction Job supervising Business? Please tell me if all possible. I might have to build me a Sushi locale plus my Rresidence starting from scratch in Chile, if and when I visit there and I really like there. Also, probably I will be bringing in my Own Foremen as to supervise the job supervised by you and that could be Gloria-San.! So please let me know soon but no rush but sooner the better..!
Going back to the Bikes, I had a Honda 750 Quattro Cilindro back in my College days in New York, circa mid 70's, not bad for a starving student being able to afford US$2k Bike then eh..Then traded for a Gold Wing, then Europe then America again, this time California, the Bike crazy state.! Bought me a Honda CBX, a 6 Cylinder Bike a 1000 c.c, sweet sounding one heavy Bike indeed. Then I left to Europe and abroad again, returning back to CA. Got me a Yamaha R1 to this date..

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 pm

It's Monterey, California. Monterrey is in México. Little pet peeve of mine, I used to live in Monterey.